• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Trainee Drivers (Ongoing)

K6vin

11am on August 14th? Thats the date and time of my Interview aswell. I wonder if they've double booked?
Mines is the 14th of August also at 11am, I’m under the impression there is going to be a few managers there on the day, mines is the DMI from South Clyde and Glasgow Central.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GS17

Just everything in general to questions I may be asked, my qualities, what I could bring, depots, about scotrail, rolling stock what challanges I might face ect... hope this helps a bit

Maximillion

Mines is the 14th of August also at 11am, I’m under the impression there is going to be a few managers there on the day, mines is the DMI from South Clyde and Glasgow Central.

I believe I may have mine with the same person as you.

Just a query i’ve seen a few people post and say they applied for specific depots.. I don’t recall being asked any specific depot only which was my closest.

Also South Clyde and Glasgow Central what lines does this area cover as Ive not seen these lines mentioned during my research.

K6vin

I believe I may have mine with the same person as you.

Just a query i’ve seen a few people post and say they applied for specific depots.. I don’t recall being asked any specific depot only which was my closest.

Also South Clyde and Glasgow Central what lines does this area cover as Ive not seen these lines mentioned during my research.
I imagine people will be assuming that they will be applying for the station they put into the nearest station box on the application form that would mean Haymarket for me, but in reality Glasgow central or Queen Street would be an ok commute also. I have no idea I have only really been focusing on the station and line I had put down in my application as well as general scotrail and Abellio company information, train types etc.

Dunks1980

I imagine people will be assuming that they will be applying for the station they put into the nearest station box on the application form that would mean Haymarket for me, but in reality Glasgow central or Queen Street would be an ok commute also. I have no idea I have only really been focusing on the station and line I had put down in my application as well as general scotrail and Abellio company information, train types etc.
How long did you wait to get your interview date mate passed my 1 assessments on Tuesday but not heard anything back yet did you just google for research or did you go to any stations

Maximillion

How long did you wait to get your interview date mate passed my 1 assessments on Tuesday but not heard anything back yet did you just google for research or did you go to any stations

I passed my first assessment on 9th July, and was given an DMI this week but i’m on holiday, so was lucky enough to get a reschedule 13 days later.

K6vin

I passed my assessment on the 18th of July and got my interview email on the 25th so a week to the day. At my assessment we were asked not to go to the stations, so I have just been getting my information from google and I had a fair idea of shift patterns etc already from this forum.

Highlandspring

Established Member
I imagine people will be assuming that they will be applying for the station they put into the nearest station box on the application form that would mean Haymarket for me
Haymarket isn’t a traincrew depot, the Waverley is.

gregwils

Morning, I have my DMI on Thursday 1st of August. Is there anyone else that has theirs then too? Also, what questions do they ask in the interview and does anyone have any last minute tips to research? nerves are starting to set in now.

Last edited:

Bigdriver

Rea
Morning, I have my DMI on Thursday 1st of August. Is there anyone else that has theirs then too? Also, what questions do they ask in the interview and does anyone have any last minute tips to research? nerves are starting to set in now.
Read this thread it’s all here

gregwils

Hi Mate I have my DMI on 14 August wondered if you could provide any help please, thank you in advance
I've been revising all about Abellio Scotrail, types of DMUs and EMUs, stations and depots, Queen Street Station redevelopment and upcoming or past events.

Also been practising answers for the usual questions like "why do you want to be a train driver?" "what could you bring to the company?"

Have you researched anything different?

Bigdriver

I've been revising all about Abellio Scotrail, types of DMUs and EMUs, stations and depots, Queen Street Station redevelopment and upcoming or past events.

Also been practising answers for the usual questions like "why do you want to be a train driver?" "what could you bring to the company?"

Have you researched anything different?
Be prepared to talk about u and what skills u have in your job or life skills that would suit the role name a time u worked under pressure followed rules and stuff like that

LoogaBarooga

The question that throws most people is when you're asked to tell them about yourself. Don't use it as a chance to tell them what your favourite thing for tea is, be prepared to really sell them on the type of person you are.

SM22

Be prepared to talk about u and what skills u have in your job or life skills that would suit the role name a time u worked under pressure followed rules and stuff like that

The question that throws most people is when you're asked to tell them about yourself. Don't use it as a chance to tell them what your favourite thing for tea is, be prepared to really sell them on the type of person you are.

Good advice, cheers guys. Got my DMI on the 21st Aug

gregwils

Great advice guys. If I get asked about the current fleet, how much detail do I have to go into?

LoogaBarooga

I personally wouldn't get too hung up on the detail. The key thing is getting across your suitability for the job by giving examples that are relevant to the role.

The specifics of the job are what you go through such rigorous training to learn.

Lainger

Hi all,I passed my assessment day on 22nd July but still not heard anything about date for next stage?Is this normal?

Maximillion

Anyone know where I can find the passenger numbers for the last year etc, google isn’t being helpful here.