• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail trainee train driver

Trigger02

Hello folks,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have been unable to find the original thread. I am currently a Firefighter and have been successful in getting to the interview stage for the role of Trainee Train Driver. I currently work a 4 on & 4 off shift pattern (48 hours) 2 x day 0800-1800 & 2 x nightshifts 1800-0800 with a consecutive 18 days off every 7 weeks.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how the shift system worked with Scotrail, as I have found a few examples online but all appear to be different.

Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Hello folks,

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I have been unable to find the original thread. I am currently a Firefighter and have been successful in getting to the interview stage for the role of Trainee Train Driver. I currently work a 4 on & 4 off shift pattern (48 hours) 2 x day 0800-1800 & 2 x nightshifts 1800-0800 with a consecutive 18 days off every 7 weeks.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on how the shift system worked with Scotrail, as I have found a few examples online but all appear to be different.

Any information would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
T.

Most depots are the standard 4 day week roster with a L/W every 3 weeks although smaller depots rosters may vary.

Below is just an example

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thurs Fri Sat

Week1
BO ON ON RD RD ON ON

Week 2 ON ON ON ON ON RD RD

Week 3
RD RD RD ON ON ON ON​

BO - Booked off (no Sunday)

ON - Working

RD - Rest Day

Large main depots work roughly 13 booked Sundays a year but as these are overtime shifts you can request to get them covered by willing volunteers but if no cover is available you have to work your own. Hope this helps.

** Can't get the alignment right but you the idea, Sunday - Saturday and after you finish week 3 you got back to week 1 but the rosters are of course 30-40 lines long and large depots.

kickin aff

Sundays are optional and get paid at OT. I made myself unavailable for Sunday work and the last one I worked was March 2023.

The weeks alternate between early and backshift each week.

As above
Week 1 - RD's Mon, Tues, Sun
Week 2 - RD's Wed, Thurs, Sun
Week 3 - RD's Fri, Sat, Sun.

So as previously stated every 3 weeks, off Fri-Tues.