Scotrail using Gaelic translations in places which Lowland Scots was spoken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by route:oxford, 19 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. route:oxford

route:oxford Established Member

2. me123

me123 Established Member

Gaelic is not a dead language. There are some people who are still active speakers in Scotland. However, there are likely to be very few in the Borders!

3. NotATrainspott

NotATrainspott Established Member

ScotRail already have to employ people to translate so they may as well use them.

4. QueensCurve

QueensCurve Established Member

Reminds me of the Welsh hospital that asked for a Welsh translation of a road sign, they thought the reply was what they needed. Unfortunately, the e-mail response to Swansea council said "Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i’w gyfieithu" (I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That's a poor reason. By that logic, if FirstGroup employed people to translate into Cornish, would we expect to see signs at Dewsbury stating "Gluthbre"? ;)

6. Yew

Yew Established Member

I wonder what 'London Paddington' would be :D

7. danielnez1

danielnez1 Member

it would seem to me that it would be more appropriate to provide Lowland Scots translations rather than Gaelic, so I guess it's another political vanity exercise.

8. cf111

cf111 Established Member

All the signs in Caithness are Gaelic now. I wanted Norse as that's what we spoke but apparently that's not allowed ;).

9. krus_aragon

krus_aragon Established Member

At a guess, "Loundre Paddington".

10. Senex

Senex Established Member

Why isn't it allowed? Like Lowland Scots in its part of the country it has far more claim to be seen as the historic language of the area (if that means anything!) than Gaelic does. The linguistic situation in Scotland is not parallel to Wales at all.

11. cb a1

cb a1 Member

My anecdotal understanding of the situation was that someone from some Gaelic society put together a case for this back in the days when Nicol Stephen was the Transport Minister.

It was then adopted as a change to the franchise agreement.

If that's the case (bearing in mind my understanding is anecdotal), there is precedent for someone to put forward a case for Norse / Lowland Scots / English / Maltese / or whatever. However, that case would have to be put to the transport minister rather than Scotrail though.

Customer: "Scotrail, I want this station name to be in Pidgin English."
    Scotrail: "Sorry, but that's not allowed."

Customer: "Minister, I want the Scotrail franchise to be able to put station names up in the following languages subject to consultation and agreement with the local community".
    Minister: "???"

12. Crossover

Crossover Established Member

How about the entire country's signs are written in Yorkshire :D

13. cf111

cf111 Established Member

The local council weren't interested in anything bar Gaelic going on new signs. It doesn't particularly bother me outside of it being a waste of money, some others were slightly more annoyed!

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotla...gunmen-shoot-road-sign-in-caithness-1-3075913

Councillor Alex MacLeod was later convicted for election expenses fraud, which of course has nothing to do with Gaelic but is still interesting ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.