• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish adventure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
Hi folks,
My wife and I are delighted (well one of us is anyway!) to be travelling on the following route in February.

1. TPE Huddersfield to Manchester (first)
2. TPE to Edinburgh via Glasgow (first)
3. Scotrail Edinburgh to Thurso (second)
Stay 3 nights in B&B and return.

Can I upgrade to first class on scotrail (how much extra and is it worth it if I can?)

What can I expect re

a) refreshments on trains
b) alternative refreshments (or purchases) on stations
c) scenic locations
d) weather conditions
e) will the trains be busy
f) what stock can I expect on each section of the route?

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Struner

I hope the two of you will enjoy your trip. :D
Hi folks,
My wife and I are delighted (well one of us is anyway!) to be travelling on the following route in February.

1. TPE Huddersfield to Manchester (first)
2. TPE to Edinburgh via Glasgow (first)

Can I upgrade to first class on scotrail (how much extra and is it worth it if I can?)

What can I expect re

a) refreshments on trains
b) alternative refreshments (or purchases) on stations
c) scenic locations
d) weather conditions
e) will the trains be busy
f) what stock can I expect on each section of the route?

Thanks in anticipation.
Surely you will be staying overnight in or near Edinburgh on your way to Thurso?
As I don’t think you’ll get to Thurso until well past ten - if everything works out all right that is. Anyway, you would be traveling in the dark. :frown:
On the Far North Line all trains are 2nd class only. There should be some sort of catering, depending on availability of staff. & there should be time in Inverness to get yourself something, all within walking distance.
It’s refurbished 158s. But better than other refurbs I’m led to to believe. & the “east” side of the train is the best one for the views I think.
As for the Highland Main Line, rolling stock is anyone’s guess, there is this thread:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scotrail-hst-introduction-updates-discussion.137911
The weather, well what can I say. It’s wintertime. Wind, rain, sleet, snow, sunshine - not necessarily in that order :E - be prepared!
“Daylight” will last for around nine hours I think.
Just wondering, are you planning three nights in Thurso?

Elwyn

Hi folks,

Thanks in anticipation.

3 nights in Thurso in February sounds like 2nd prize in a competition where first prize was just 2 nights. Given your partner’s apparent lack of enthusiasm for this trip, unless you have worked out a fascinating series of outings from Thurso, you might get some minor earache. Just my opinion.

Thurso itself doesn’t offer much, especially at that time of year. Whilst the journey north from Inverness is mostly scenic and interesting, the final bit through Caithness (which is fairly flat and boring) isn’t very inspiring. Although if you arrive in the dark I suppose that doesn’t matter.

Perhaps you are going to hire a car in Thurso (in which case head west to Cape Wrath and that general area. The Wick & John O'Groats area is not very interesting) or go on to Orkney, but if not, I suspect you’ll struggle to fill the time.

matacaster

On Moderation
Thanks for your observations folks!

...err, no, whole journey to Thurso in one day arrive circa 22.15 (B&B says this is ok).

Should things go wrong (ie train delays or cancellations) what is my position re delay repay and do they have to get us to our destination by whatever means possible or put us up in a hotel? Despite the time of year, the B&B is fairly pricey.

Hmmmm, maybe this was not my finest choice for a short break!

Trying to salvage something, can anyone recommend a good pub with an open fire and a good restaurant in Thurso?

JLH

I have to agree that three nights in Thurso is too much even if you hire a car. There is always a slim chance of seeing the Northern Lights in the far north but that wouldn't be enough to persuade me to stop for so long. I visited the far north in April, staying in Mey near John O'Groats and two nights was plenty and I had a car.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
I did the Far North line in the summer, and stayed overnight in Thurso having arrived in the early evening (on Saturday) and then took the bus to Wick on Sunday morning before joining the southbound train there (simply to tick both stations). I stayed in a B&B which doubled as a pub, and had a good meal although I can't remember the name of it now.
Was still too long in Thurso!

ScotTrains

If you have a 'TPEx and connections' ticket between Manchester and Edinburgh you'll be able to use first class on Scotrail between Glasgow and Edinburgh. It will mean a short walk (or free bus) between Glasgow Central and Queen St.

First class isn't very nice on the 385s but you should at least get offered coffee and cake.

If you get an HST from Edinburgh to Inverness you may want to upgrade to first. It is £10 weekend, £15 weekday to upgrade. The first class area is quite nice with self service snacks and drinks. You may also get soup/ bacon roll depending on the service.

matacaster

On Moderation
If you have a 'TPEx and connections' ticket between Manchester and Edinburgh you'll be able to use first class on Scotrail between Glasgow and Edinburgh. It will mean a short walk (or free bus) between Glasgow Central and Queen St.

First class isn't very nice on the 385s but you should at least get offered coffee and cake.

If you get an HST from Edinburgh to Inverness you may want to upgrade to first. It is £10 weekend, £15 weekday to upgrade. The first class area is quite nice with self service snacks and drinks. You may also get soup/ bacon roll depending on the service.

Thanks, didn't know about upgrade option, will check tickets.

matacaster

On Moderation
Hi, the time is nigh! I am going to Thurso tomorrow (Tuesday)!

Now, I hadn't realised it, but the first part of the journey is not via WCML, but TPE advance first from Huddersfield to Edinburgh via York and ECML. This is the new 10.30 service which only actually became extant yesterday.

I decided to check it was running on National Rail Journey checker. It said there was an 09.30 TPE service, not 10.30 and the next service was 10.45 but involved switching to LNER at York (its a TPE first advance). So, just rang TPE chap who said no, its scheduled to go at 10.30 tomorrow. Still a little concerned as its only second day the 10.30 has run.

Wouldn't it be nice if NR and TPE had same information!

Glenn1969

Established Member
It is listed as running on RTT. It arrives Edinburgh at 1348. There is no direct Inverness train listed until 1634- you miss it by 15mins. What time were you planning on going up?

matacaster

On Moderation
Disaster, TPE having confirmed 10.30 going from hudds last night, today find NO 10.30 it went at 9.30 as I told the TPE type last night. Hudds TPE tried best and now changing at Newcastle, Edinburgh etc, but she said TPE would pay for a taxi from Inverness to thurso. I don't think she is aware of distance. Also our accommodation might not view an arrival in middle of night as convenient.

matacaster

On Moderation
Disaster, TPE having confirmed 10.30 going from hudds last night, today find NO 10.30 it went at 9.30 as I told the TPE type last night. Hudds TPE tried best and now changing at Newcastle, Edinburgh etc, but she said TPE would pay for a taxi from Inverness to thurso. I don't think she is aware of distance. Also our accommodation might not view an arrival in middle of night as convenient.

I think I have a new plan which appears to get us there on original time. Needs TPE to get Lner to take me from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Cheaper than a taxi Inverness to thurso.

matacaster

On Moderation
I think I have a new plan which appears to get us there on original time. Needs TPE to get Lner to take me from Newcastle to Edinburgh. Cheaper than a taxi Inverness to thurso.

Discussed problem with TPE at Newcastle, they were helpful and came with us to lner booth. Lner representative was very understanding and, despite it not being their problem, they agreed to let us use lner service and informed guard who was equally helpful. They did point out that had we been going to Edinburgh we would have had to use next TPE service, but as we were otherwise likely to have a long taxi ride and then sit on road until morning they would show flexibility.

What great customer service, you remember things like this!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that's quite a farce! Glad to hear LNER and TPX got you sorted heading north, here's hoping the final train was connected into!

matacaster

On Moderation
Wow that's quite a farce! Glad to hear LNER and TPX got you sorted heading north, here's hoping the final train was connected into!

Thanks!
Train was slightly late getting into Inverness, but connect time was 4 mins. Spoke to guard on inbound Inverness service, he very kindly rang Inverness who held the train to thurso. More great work from Scotrail this time.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Thanks!
Train was slightly late getting into Inverness, but connect time was 4 mins. Spoke to guard on inbound Inverness service, he very kindly rang Inverness who held the train to thurso. More great work from Scotrail this time.
So how was a trip to Thurso in the dark?!

matacaster

On Moderation
So how was a trip to Thurso in the dark?!

Well, better than expected actually. Obviously the latter part of journey was very dark, but was still light enough to see snow covered cairgorms? at aviemore, before night closed in. In fairness, we will be travelling back tomorrow morning, so will see all the things we missed.

I've been to Thurso, John O'Groats and Wick, although not by train.

Yeah, there's not much there. But sometimes, it's just nice to be somewhere else that isn't home doing nothing. Particularly if it's taken a scenic train ride to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.