• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Citylink

route101

Established Member
I wouldn't rule out Stagecoach buy new coaches for Citylink this year, there's a new route launching soon which will see Stagecoach Bluebird's vehicle requirements for Citylink work doubled.
A new Citylink route or replacement buses for Stagecoach?

Nice to see the 913 back, I hope to do this route this summer. I thought with the 978 to Oban it may not return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ecb124

Nice to see the 913 back, I hope to do this route this summer. I thought with the 978 to Oban it may not return.
913 timetable appears to be live in the booking system and is running the same as previous years (if the citylink booking system is anything to go by)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Can you tell us more please?
From internal information the new service will be numbered M96 and will operate Aberdeen to Inverness via Blackburn, Huntly (Tesco), Keith, Fochabers, Elgin, Forres & Nairn every two hours. It'll be operated by Stagecoach Elgin depot with a PVR (Peak Vehicle Requirement) of four vehicles.

roadierway77

From internal information the new service will be numbered M96 and will operate Aberdeen to Inverness via Blackburn, Huntly (Tesco), Keith, Fochabers, Elgin, Forres & Nairn every two hours. It'll be operated by Stagecoach Elgin depot with a PVR (Peak Vehicle Requirement) of four vehicles.
Interesting, perhaps Citylink getting their hands on a Aberdeen-Inverness route before Ember do

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I assume this is running alongside the existing 10 services? Or I wonder if these are likely to be changed to make way for the M96?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I assume this is running alongside the existing 10 services? Or I wonder if these are likely to be changed to make way for the M96?
Yes it's believed to be an additional service rather than replacing anything. Although of course that could change in the long term.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A shortened Panther would surely be more appropriate for much of that route? I suspect this is less a case of snapping the journey up before somebody else does and more a case of them finally giving up with the full length service ten and splitting it in such a way that through journey would either take most of the day or not be possible at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ricky Kane

A shortened panther would surely be more appropriate for much of that root? I suspect this is less a case of snapping the journey up before somebody else does and more okay of them finally giving up with the full length service ten and splitting it in such a way that through journey would either take most of the day or not be possible at all
I was going to say that But all the spare ones in the Highlands were sold recently think theres 2 left.

I saw a Plaxton Panther LE on Princes Street at around midday today which was displaying "M90 Edinburgh" on the rear, and a few days ago I'm sure I saw a Stagecoach Distance-liveried coach on a Citylink route as well (sorry didn't get the exact type of bus and can't remember the route number it was on) - are Citylink short of vehicles right now or borrowing from Stagecoach for another reason? (Or am I just seeing things? :D)

Ricky Kane

I saw a Plaxton Panther LE on Princes Street at around midday today which was displaying "M90 Edinburgh" on the rear, and a few days ago I'm sure I saw a Stagecoach Distance-liveried coach on a Citylink route as well (sorry didn't get the exact type of bus and can't remember the route number it was on) - are Citylink short of vehicles right now or borrowing from Stagecoach for another reason? (Or am I just seeing things? :D)
I know at Inverness there is 3 off the road out of 11 thats why they been using the old stagecoach Inter-decker also Stagecoach West 50418 broke down last week and not been out since.

LiviCrazy

Took the Citylink 902 through to Glasgow for the first time today. A good service apart from the very cramped seats (I never took note of what buses we had, but both were cramped).

Did feel that the weekend could perhaps do with a shorter timetable, both directions we had to sit at every scheduled stop in Coatbridge and Airdrie for a couple of mins. Also think it would make more sense for it to go the Starlaw route in Livingston like the old X51 did, far more direct.

roadierway77

I'm not sure the exact reason but yes one or two Panther LEs are on loan to Citylink at the moment - former demonstrator 54521 is definitely on loan, saw a photo today of 54521 on the private Facebook group North East Scotland Bus Enthusiasts Group working an M90 service.

Darklord8899

Coming come from work today, I did see a "HH Coach" on the 900 dropping off at Shandwick Place, can't say it looked particularly fresh either...

route101

Established Member
Took the Citylink 902 through to Glasgow for the first time today. A good service apart from the very cramped seats (I never took note of what buses we had, but both were cramped).

Did feel that the weekend could perhaps do with a shorter timetable, both directions we had to sit at every scheduled stop in Coatbridge and Airdrie for a couple of mins. Also think it would make more sense for it to go the Starlaw route in Livingston like the old X51 did, far more direct.
Did you get a Parks Elite or Edinburgh City Lines Irizar? The elites are new on this route.

When I used the service from Glasgow, a few tourists got on asking for the airport.

On Friday I noticed a fair few non citylink coaches on the M9 service. Kings Panther and Simpsons of Aberdeen coach.

Passed through Perth Broxden on Friday and there was like 6 to 8 Citylink coaches there, not sure if there was disruption but never seen so many there.

Last edited:
Did you get a Parks Elite or Edinburgh City Lines Irizar? The elites are new on this route.

When I used the service from Glasgow, a few tourists got on asking for the airport.

On Friday I noticed a fair few non citylink coaches on the M9 service. Kings Panther and Simpsons of Aberdeen coach.

Passed through Perth Broxden on Friday and there was like 6 to 8 Citylink coaches there, not sure if there was disruption but never seen so many there.
For some reason theres alot of citylink buses of the road just now.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
There are about 20 extra runs that operate on the M9 and M92 on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. These are worked by a mix of operators. First Aberdeen (King Coaches) do the 12:25 M9 from Aberdeen and the 17:40 return from Glasgow.

route101

Established Member
There are about 20 extra runs that operate on the M9 and M92 on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. These are worked by a mix of operators. First Aberdeen (King Coaches) do the 12:25 M9 from Aberdeen and the 17:40 return from Glasgow.
That will be the one I saw. I thought they were duplicates but perhaps not. Must be fewer seats than one of the Plaxton Panoramas.

Are Citylink on the summer timetable yet? They still had the winter timetable book at the bus station.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
That will be the one I saw. I thought they were dupes but perhaps not. Must be less seats than one of the Plaxton Pannoramas.

Are Citylink on the summer timetable yet? They still had the winter timetable book at the bus station.
These are not technically duplicates but rather additional runs which only operate Friday/Saturday/Sunday. They aren't shown in the timetable booklets themselves but are listed on the Citylink website.

The additional runs are as follows:

M9:
8:25 Aberdeen - Glasgow
9:25 Aberdeen - Glasgow
10:25 Aberdeen - Glasgow
12:25 Aberdeen - Glasgow (First Aberdeen)
14:25 Aberdeen - Glasgow (West Coast Motors)
9:40 Glasgow - Aberdeen (West Coast Motors)
12:40 Glasgow - Aberdeen
13:40 Glasgow - Aberdeen
17:40 Glasgow - Aberdeen (First Aberdeen)

M92:
10:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
11:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
12:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
12:55 Aberdeen - Edinburgh
14:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
15:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
16:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
18:20 Edinburgh - Aberdeen

I've not had the chance to work out who operates most of them however aside from the above i have noticed the following operators working the additional journeys; Simpsons's Of Rosehearty, Peace Coaches, Watermill Coaches, Kevin's Coaches, Ratho Coaches & Hairy Haggis Tours.

Volvodart

Established Member
These are not technically duplicates but rather additional runs which only operate Friday/Saturday/Sunday. They aren't shown in the timetable booklets themselves but are listed on the Citylink website.

The additional runs are as follows:

M92:
10:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
11:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
12:20 Dundee - Edinburgh
12:55 Aberdeen - Edinburgh
14:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
15:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
16:20 Edinburgh - Dundee
18:20 Edinburgh - Aberdeen
There are also unadvertised but bookable M92s from Aberdeen at 8:55 and 9:55 on Fridays and Saturdays.

No, Black with Orange "HH Coaches" lettering, but some of the panels looked like they had streak marks on them, as if something had run down them, leaving a white/pale residue behind
It will either be LFZ8053, an Irizar I6, or R5HHT/R3HHT which are Caetano Levantes.