• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scottish Rail & Sail Rover tickets no longer valid on Calmac

Status
Not open for further replies.

airantraigh

There are many ways this could have been made to work with little effort. The obvious one being a booking option on the Cal-mac website for a free reservation for holders of named rail-sail tickets.
Aye, and I reckon an option for this as well is needed on the included coach service to Ullapool, for Stornoway bound rail and sail journeys. It is consistently packed full through the Summer season.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sealink

I would say this is more CalMac attempting to control passenger numbers, given the age of the fleet and their well publicised problems.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I would say this is more CalMac attempting to control passenger numbers, given the age of the fleet and their well publicised problems.

Foot passengers generally aren't an issue except at some specific times. This is just Calmac making a dreadful mess of the whole ticketing process, nothing more.

To anyone in the know: would it be theoretically possible for Calmac to use the rail booking system for both passengers and cars?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am led to believe by an informed source that, as has now been noticed, ScotRail appear to have not set this up correctly in PMS as it only prints the one supplement for a return journey rather than two.

There appears to be a complete disconnect between ScotRail and CalMac in this, as staff have been told one thing by CalMac (no Rail & Sail products for Scottish islands) yet we now see these fares being added in (incorrectly I might add).

paul1609

Established Member
It appears that the Oban to Mull/Iona ferries are currently booked up for foot passengers up to 2 weeks in advance. Not sure how Calmac are going to be able to accommodate sail rail passengers tbh.

It appears that the Oban to Mull/Iona ferries are currently booked up for foot passengers up to 2 weeks in advance.

I've never heard of Calmac being sold out for foot passengers, other than maybe queues for Fionnphort-Iona in the summer.

Foot passengers generally aren't an issue except at some specific times.
is what I'd expect to be the case.

I wondered whether it was a) inaccurate information, b) an upsurge in passenger numbers, c) a shortage of ships, or d) a faulty reservation system making it look as if sailings were full when they weren't. https://www.calmac.co.uk/service-status?route=11 suggests that it is (as suggested by another poster above) c) -- for a 2-week period the Oban-Craignure route is being run by two boats of pasenger capacity 195 and 250 (according to Wikipedia), instead of one of those plus the Isle of Mull (962 passengers).

Status
Not open for further replies.