• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scum Class - Top Gear 'train'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
While were at it let's upgrade the first class to being hauled by a Bugatti Veyron, and the carriages be made up of those American RV's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
So now we have to buy more Pacers? :o

(I seriously can't believe I used the "which spare stock is this you talk of?" response in this of all threads...)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Anyone who's antisocial enough to consider using such a device to go into Subscum Class.

Some people need to make phonecalls. Deal with it. (And quite a lot of them are actually able to do it at normal speech volume, believe it or not. :P)

No problem with people needing to make phone calls. People screeching garbage down the phone for half an hour is a different matter and the device would save them the embarrasment of a trip to A & E to have the phone removed from where it belongs.

Eagle

Established Member
99% of the phone calls made on board trains don't need to be made at all.

[citation needed] on that suspiciously high percentage.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No problem with people needing to make phone calls. People screeching garbage down the phone for half an hour is a different matter and the device would save them the embarrasment of a trip to A & E to have the phone removed from where it belongs.

True that. :lol:

SS4

Established Member
99% of the phone calls made on board trains don't need to be made at all. They're just inane drivel that don't have the slightest importance. It really is annoying how people today seem to be surgically attached to their phones. They can't even turn them off in the cinema. It's funny how a decade or two ago we all used to go on train journeys and none of us felt disadvantaged that we couldn't make a phone call.

Maybe but outside of the quiet zone(s) I really have no issue with phone calls as long as they're neither overly loud nor overly intimate. It is one of the draws of rail travel that you can make calls if you need to. Personally though give me SMS any day

People who have sounds for each button press can be sent there though :p

RichmondCommu

Established Member
There used to be a 'video' sender that would cut out mobile phone calls within a certain radius though I believe they either were or became illegal (they also required an a large amount of batteries). I am sure that if they were to be available now they would become quite popular.

Anybody who tried that on with me would get a slap. Given that virtually the entire population has a mobile phone there are some outrageous hypocrites in our society!

LE Greys

Established Member
Me, on the one condition that I get exclusive use of it! There are decided advantages. The windows appear to be wide enough to admit a head and an SLR, and nobody will worry about someone charging from one side to the other.

Oh, and I can make as many phonecalls as I like! <D

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Anybody who tried that on with me would get a slap. Given that virtually the entire population has a mobile phone there are some outrageous hypocrites in our society!

I haven't met anyone who isn't. It's just that most hypocrites think everyone else is one but them.
.. and am sure the size, nastiness and weaponry of the person involved may well give you second thoughts about giving them or anyone else a slap.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Anybody who tried that on with me would get a slap.
How would you know who it is?

Given that virtually the entire population has a mobile phone there are some outrageous hypocrites in our society!
Not really, it's just that some of us realise we're not going to drop dead if we switch off our phones for more than 2 seconds, nor do we feel the need to yak on about nothing for hours every five minutes where ever we happen to be.

Roverman

Hmm, I can only begin to wonder at the outcry that such a device would generate if it prevented genuine emergency calls from getting through, lets say your a parent and your child starts developing meningitis and the child minder can't reach you because some idiot has fitted a signal blocker or if someone on the train has a stroke and no one can ring for help and the guard is nowhere to be seen so can't summon help on the radio.

Is it such a problem? I rarely sit in the Quiet Coach (Standard or First) and yet I am struggling to recall a time when I overheard a conversation I didn't want to hear.

tsr

Established Member
Hmm, I can only begin to wonder at the outcry that such a device would generate if it prevented genuine emergency calls from getting through, lets say your a parent and your child starts developing meningitis and the child minder can't reach you because some idiot has fitted a signal blocker...

Hopefully an unlikely scenario, but I suppose it is an important example to consider, nonetheless!

...or if someone on the train has a stroke and no one can ring for help and the guard is nowhere to be seen so can't summon help on the radio.

That sort of situation is precisely suited to the use of a passenger alarm. I would have virtually no hesitation in using one if I had such a serious concern for a fellow-passenger's health.

D1009

Established Member
Judging by the comments of their represantative to this thread, I think I'd put Richmond commuters in there:lol:

Established Member
After seeing Top Gear, (the one with a train made up of caravans) I seen they had a Scum Class coach at the back. If this was an option on all mainline trains who would you put in Scum Class? I would put all drunks and noisey, shoutey mobile phone people in it.

In the UK, we refer to Scum class by it's formal name.

Standard class.

There's no standards and certainly no class ;)

As opposed to the quiet coach, I think we should introduce an 'STFU' coach.

Goatboy

Established Member
99% of the phone calls made on board trains don't need to be made at all. They're just inane drivel that don't have the slightest importance.

It does amaze me the sort of things people will talk about on the phone when using trains. Not important time sensitive stuff, nor 'I'll be home at XYZ time' or 'Can you book me a taxi' but 'X is seeing Y, its such a shame, W was so right for her, can you beleive that? and suchlike. Bizarre things to chat about openly knowing half the coach can hear half the story.

I was on a rail replacement bus the other day and the woman in front spent the entire 45 minute journey talking about the relationships of all her friends. Very strange.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hmm, I can only begin to wonder at the outcry that such a device [signal blocker]would generate if it prevented genuine emergency calls from getting through....[what]if someone on the train has a stroke and no one can ring for help and the guard is nowhere to be seen so can't summon help on the radio.

That sort of situation is precisely suited to the use of a passenger alarm. I would have virtually no hesitation in using one if I had such a serious concern for a fellow-passenger's health.

In the vast majority of cases like these it is NOT the best policy to pull the pass comm. Find the guard and/or dial 999. Why, because being stopped in the middle of nowhere with limited or no road access can make it very difficult for the emergency services to access the patient. In most cases it is better to carry on to a station to transfer the patient from the train to the paramedics. The guard & ambulance control will decide the best place for this to happen.

Last edited:

LE Greys

Established Member
It does amaze me the sort of things people will talk about on the phone when using trains. Not important time sensitive stuff, nor 'I'll be home at XYZ time' or 'Can you book me a taxi' but 'X is seeing Y, its such a shame, W was so right for her, can you beleive that? and suchlike. Bizarre things to chat about openly knowing half the coach can hear half the story.

I was on a rail replacement bus the other day and the woman in front spent the entire 45 minute journey talking about the relationships of all her friends. Very strange.

One explanation for that is that they see travel as 'down time' when they need to find something else to do to avoid getting bored. My most recent phone conversation on a train was with a friend just catching up on news (not exactly the example above, we're both a bit older and have different things to talk about - our families mostly) but the train was sitting in Cambridge station waiting for departure. The trick is to keep one's voice down and turn towards the window (which doesn't echo) or possibly stand by the door (which is a better option, but only if one can be sure to keep one's seat).

However, if I've been travelling with people who talk too loudly about confidential issues (especially business), I've been known to pull my own 'phone out and pretend to have an even more confidential conversation.

'Yes.'
'Oh, hello Comrade, it might be a bit difficult to talk now.'
'No, we're in a public place.'
'I don't care if it's urgent, I can't pass on any information here.'
'No, I'm sure they don't suspect anything, Comrade. They're just checking.'
'Look, let's meet in the usual place for lunch on Thursday.'
'Yes, that's right.'
'Long live the Revolution!'
'Bye, Comrade.'

Status
Not open for further replies.