• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scunthorpe - Cleethorpes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Due to engineering work the plan I had for tomorrow is caput. It is £8.30 with a railcard for a single between Scunthorpe and Cleethorpes. Anyone know of a cheaper option?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not sure what you had in mind - a cheaper option than a train ticket? Well, I looked at Transportdirect and a bus journey is possible but requires at least 2 buses, and it would not give me any prices. I also tried National Express and it found no services. I'm not sure what else to suggest!

Established Member
Not sure what you had in mind - a cheaper option than a train ticket? Well, I looked at Transportdirect and a bus journey is possible but requires at least 2 buses, and it would not give me any prices. I also tried National Express and it found no services. I'm not sure what else to suggest!

Train only (plans changed as I'd have to get a replacement bus in the Hull area). Can't see a decent split either on route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only intermediate stations are:

Barnetby [BTB], Habrough [HAB], and Grimsby Town [GMB]

(The other stations are only served by Barton trains)

So not very many options to search for, I had a quick look and I don't think splitting is cheaper. Splitting at, say, Barnetby is a lot more expensive!

Established Member
Aye that's what I thought (plus the one I'm on tomorrow doesn't stop at Habrough. Should have checked for engineering work the other day and could have booked an advance.

David

Established Member
Nope, it isn't possible to get a cheaper combination of tickets between Scunthorpe and Cleethorpes.

clagmonster

Established Member
Well, I looked at Transportdirect and a bus journey is possible but requires at least 2 buses, and it would not give me any prices. I also tried National Express and it found no services. I'm not sure what else to suggest!
For reference, 350 to Barton for the Humber Flyer to Cleethorpes. The latter may show as a change from the HF2 to the HF1 at Humberside Airport, but in reality you stay on the same bus. It is registered as two services for legal reasons I don't entirely understand (I believe it is to do with EU regulations and driver hours - but am not entirely certain). Assuming the 350 chosen is operated by Stagecoach (5/6 are), then the full journey would be covered by a Stagecoach East Midlands Day Out ticket, priced at £7.50.

If two passengers are making the journey by rail, and no railcards are held, it may be worth splitting tickets at Habrough and getting a Northern Duo from there. I've not got time to look at that now, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.