• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[SE/FI] Helsinki - Haparanda trains expected to start December 2024

jamesontheroad

Established Member
A paywalled article in the Swedish
Norrbottens kuriren newspaper yesterday quoted traffic developer of Norrtåg Martin Högqvist saying that plans are being made for two daily connections Luleå- Haparanda - Helsinki from December 2024.

Although the newspaper headline says “direct train to Helsinki” the article correctly confirms that Norrtåg is actually planning to adjust schedules of the Luleå- Haparanda train on the Swedish side so that they connect with new VR departures from Haparanda to Helsinki. An end to end journey time of ten hours is quoted, suggesting one daytime and one nighttime train.

Electrification of the Kemi - Haparanda stretch should be complete during the coming year. On the Swedish side, the platform on the northern (Finnish gauge track) side of Haparanda station needs to be rebuilt. For some reason, probably budget, it wasn’t included in the renovations of the station before it reopened for passenger traffic in 2021.

The article also states that passenger traffic on Norrtåg’s Luleå - Boden - Haparanda trains still falls short of their targets, and that an international connection is hoped to address this.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarrotPie

A paywalled article in the Swedish
Norrbottens kuriren newspaper yesterday quoted traffic developer of Norrtåg Martin Högqvist saying that plans are being made for two daily connections Luleå- Haparanda - Helsinki from December 2024.

Although the newspaper headline says “direct train to Helsinki” the article correctly confirms that Norrtåg is actually planning to adjust schedules of the Luleå- Haparanda train on the Swedish side so that their they connect with new VR departures from Haparanda to Helsinki. An end to end journey time of ten hours is quoted, suggesting one daytime and one nighttime train.

Electrification of the Kemi - Haparanda stretch should be complete during the coming year. On the Swedish side, the platform on the northern (Finnish gauge track) side of Haparanda station needs to be rebuilt. For some reason, probably budget, it wasn’t included in the renovations of the station before it reopened for passenger traffic in 2021.

The article also states that passenger traffic on Norrtåg’s Luleå - Boden - Haparanda trains still falls short of their targets, and that an international connection is hoped to address this.
Sounds interesting. It will be interesting to see how that works capacity-wise north of Oulu, as the Oulu-Kemi section doesn't have many passing loops. Assuming Haaparanta will be served by extending Helsinki-Oulu services, an extra loco+rake will be required. VR seems quite short on available stock, especially stuff that isn't routinely based at Ilmala.

In terms of night trains, in the past few months they've a second generation of the current Edm sleeper coaches, which should help, but I can't see demand for yet another sleeper train on Päärata. Even the Tornio & Kolari service only runs thrice-weekly. Perhaps it shall finally run via the three Ks (Kouvola, Kuopio and Kontiomäki), reinstating their night services. This will be something interesting to keep an eye on, especially to see if VR actually apply for track capacity next spring.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Seems a nice case to have some of the EU-bordercrossing make easy subsidies to get flowing??.......
From memory and only halfway related: is not this Haappaaranttaa/Haparanda the place with a giant IKEA right by the border-so that means a cheap cafetaria whist waiting (free cf if you have that membercard-works all over the world) and another source of potential mney sourcing. But I may have this wrong-sorry then.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
From memory and only halfway related: is not this Haappaaranttaa/Haparanda the place with a giant IKEA right by the border-so that means a cheap cafetaria whist waiting (free cf if you have that membercard-works all over the world) and another source of potential mney sourcing. But I may have this wrong-sorry then.

Yes, Haparanda has a very big IKEA, but it’s about 20-30 minutes walk from either station. It’s maybe 5-10 minutes walk from the bus station which sits across the border.

I visited a few years ago. It’s notable because the labels and posters are bilingual Swedish/Finnish, but the building’s signage adds Russian. Before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, many Russian tourists from the Murmansk region came to Haparanda for shopping.

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpeg
    IMG_3930.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3931.jpeg
    IMG_3931.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

rf_ioliver

In terms of night trains, in the past few months they've a second generation of the current Edm sleeper coaches, which should help, but I can't see demand for yet another sleeper train on Päärata. Even the Tornio & Kolari service only runs thrice-weekly. Perhaps it shall finally run via the three Ks (Kouvola, Kuopio and Kontiomäki), reinstating their night services. This will be something interesting to keep an eye on, especially to see if VR actually apply for track capacity next spring.

A thing to take away from this is "Norrtåg *wants* to run a service", which is very different from actually running a service. I can see a connection being made to the Kolari-Helsinki trains - not sure how the logistics of that would work - Tornio Itäinen doesn't look the best place to change, maybe Kemi or Oulu?
One possibility is using an Sm2 for a Haparanda-Kemi service? Not sure what Suomen Lähijunat's plans are for them (other than their desire to run lots of commuter services around the country).

As for a sleeper Oulu-Helsinki via Kuopio ... that would be nice, I certainly miss that service, a good night's sleep, reasonably early departure from Oulu and ordering pizza to be delivered to the train in Kajaani ( VR refused to serve food from their fully stocked and staffed restaurant car as demonstration that no-one wanted to use the service....buying ticked for that particular route was exceptionally difficult near the end).

jamesontheroad

Established Member
A thing to take away from this is "Norrtåg *wants* to run a service", which is very different from actually running a service. I can see a connection being made to the Kolari-Helsinki trains - not sure how the logistics of that would work - Tornio Itäinen doesn't look the best place to change, maybe Kemi or Oulu?

Previous statements from VR indicate that they intend to have some kind of long-distance service to/from Haparanda. Once the line to Kemi is wired, it could be an entirely new train to Helsinki or some reconfiguration of the Kolari train so that it runs to Haparanda daily and has a diesel-hauled portion to Kemi on certain days.

rf_ioliver

I'm aware of VR's statements but can't find anything other than it being aspirational. I've asked around and the answers are ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . The options seem to be

1. extension of a current Helsinki-Oulu service
2. rerouting of a night-train, eg: stop at Tornio Itäinen, then Tornio, Haaparanda, then onto Kolari
3. a local service Haaparanda-Kemi/Oulu

Number 2 would make more sense if the Norrtåg service was extended to Tornio - IIRC, there is that possibility though I have no idea when the last time a Swedish train crossed into Finland

CarrotPie

One possibility is using an Sm2 for a Haparanda-Kemi service? Not sure what Suomen Lähijunat's plans are for them (other than their desire to run lots of commuter services around the country).
No matter what SLOY do to them, the won't survive that many more years, let alone out stationed at Oulu. Also, the reason VR hasn't expanded their usage area for years is because they're not wheelchair-accessible. Until the Sm7s displace Sm4s, there won't be spare EMUs.

Number 2 would make more sense if the Norrtåg service was extended to Tornio - IIRC, there is that possibility though I have no idea when the last time a Swedish train crossed into Finland
Never; there's an 89mm gauge difference.

Last edited:

JonasB

Although the newspaper headline says “direct train to Helsinki” the article correctly confirms that Norrtåg is actually planning to adjust schedules of the Luleå- Haparanda train on the Swedish side so that they connect with new VR departures from Haparanda to Helsinki. An end to end journey time of ten hours is quoted, suggesting one daytime and one nighttime train.

That would be great, an easy connection from Luleå to Finland is really missing today.

Last time I'm aware of was in November.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Here's an update today from Väylävirasto, the Finnish Railways Agency: https://vayla.fi/-/suomen-ja-ruotsi...njoen-ratasiltaa-parannetaan-kevaasta-syksyyn

My translation of the key bits...

The Torne River railway bridge between Finland and Sweden will be subject to construction from spring to autumn [2024]​

Published 10.25 EET 8 April 2024

Construction work related to increasing the height clearance has been carried out on the Torne River railway bridge since spring. Work is being done on the entire bridge from Tornio to the Haaparanda side, and the work will be completed in the autumn of 2024. Access to the railway bridge and the railway in general is prohibited for members of the public. During the work, the Torne River rail bridge is a construction site. The contract is part of the Väylävirasto's project to electrify the Laurila–Tornio–Haaparanda railway.

In the Torne River rail bridge contract, the current steel truss of the bridge will be increased in height, so that the electrification contract changes carried out later in the project are possible. The first preparatory works for the project have already started at the end of March, and the construction work on the railway bridge crossing the national border will last until autumn 2024. The project will be carried out by Kreate Oy.

Work on the bridge started at the end of March with scaffolding. During the summer, the bridge's steel structures are blast cleaned, which causes some noise nuisance to the surrounding area. In the contract, the railway bridge will be repainted on the Finnish side and the bridge will be patch-painted on the Swedish side.

"The project involves excavating the entire bridge from Tornio to Haaparanna, which means that the contract area also extends to the Swedish side. The costs of the contract have been shared with the Swedish Transport Agency, Trafikverket, which finances the Swedish part of the contract," says project manager Terhi Honkarinta.

During the work, the Torne River railway bridge is a construction site to which outsiders have no access. Improperly staying on the railway bridge and on the railway in general is prohibited.

The project also has other contracts underway. The electrification project for the track section between Laurila and Haaparanna in Keminmaa will proceed to the Torne River railway bridge later at the end of the year, when the project to increase the height of for the bridge will have been completed. During the current year 2024, work will also be done at the Tornio and Haaparanda railway yards.

Similar work has been done elsewhere in Finland in recent years. If you follow the link you'll see photographs of the steel truss frame bridge. Basically, the horizontal members on the top of the bride (crossing the track) will be cut out one by one and replaced by new pieces that are curved in two places to create a taller loading gauge. Then an overhead contact line can be installed.

JonasB

And slightly related, it has also been reported that Norrtåg will take over five Regina-trains (X52) from Västtrafik. That will allow them to double the amount of trains to Haparanda from december 2026.