• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seasonal Ticket Examiner GWR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jmn

Good afternoon. My first post...
GWR has just listed this position.
I am looking at commencing a new career on the railway. I am in my mid 50's.
Would there be opportunities (and would it be permitted) to apply for permanent roles during the fixed term contract of 4 months?
Once the fixed term came to an end are you then able to apply for other suitable posts immediately?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CC 72100

Established Member
It's a foot in the door - many a person I've met on the railway originally joined as a temporary job/"we'll see how it goes" and are there many years later in sometimes the same, sometimes different roles.

I don't know but I couldn't see why you couldn't apply for other roles (and also the internal-only ones) after a certain time (probably in the contract) in the FTC role.

broadgage

Advertising jobs as "seasonal" or "short term fixed contract" is IME often a way of recruiting permanent staff.
If a job is advertised as permanent and a new employee fails to meet the employers hopes then it can be difficult and expensive to dismiss them, without legal proof of any wrong doing.

If however the job is advertised as short term or fixed contract, then it is a simple matter to offer permanent positions to those who perform best. Those who perform less well wont suffer any dismissal or other sanction but also wont receive any offer of long term work.

I therefore urge applying for the job that you want, even if the initial advert states that it is only short term.

AnthonyRail

Established Member
I Hate jobs where there is only one job available, no chance when 1000 people apply but you really want it. But I should not be so negative.

Last edited:

route:oxford

Established Member
Hate job where there is only one job available, no chance when 1000 people apply but you really want it.

It's all 50:50, you either will or you won't.

1000 applications doesn't mean anything really. As most recruitment portals are subcontracted, the software will screen out most of the fails anyway.

So you just have to make sure you use key words and phrases that are in the advert - to ensure a digital match.

Whatever you do, don't fall into the classic trap of uploading an old CV. We screen out applicants whose CVs have a "date created"/"date modfied" date that are earlier than the point of the advert. If they don't have the attention to detail to prepare a CV that's right for us, then they aren't right for us.

If you clear that hurdle, then you are down to manual review!

broadgage

Hate job where there is only one job available, no chance when 1000 people apply but you really want it.

Do be aware that an awful lot of applicants for some jobs are totally unsuited to the job and/or don't really want it. This may sound surprising, but remember that jobcentres require that claimants apply for a certain number of jobs per week.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Could this post be somewhere like the St Ives Branch, as that seems to use more staff in the summer than the winter?

AnthonyRail

Established Member
Could this post be somewhere like the St Ives Branch, as that seems to use more staff in the summer than the winter?

Says Exeter st davids on advert.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Applied but email says no :(

Jmn

Well I managed to pass the telephone interview and next up is a 3 hour assessment.
Could anyone tell me what this will involve?

amateur

On Moderation
Whatever you do, don't fall into the classic trap of uploading an old CV. We screen out applicants whose CVs have a "date created"/"date modfied" date that are earlier than the point of the advert. If they don't have the attention to detail to prepare a CV that's right for us, then they aren't right for us.

you actually check the dates the CV was created/modified :shock:

alocotpi

Well I managed to pass the telephone interview and next up is a 3 hour assessment.
Could anyone tell me what this will involve?

Congratulations, I was wondering the same thing, I managed to pass the telephone interview too.

I believe this is where they assess you on your maths ability etc, and ability to work as part of a team, or at least that's what I've heard.

JN114

Established Member
you actually check the dates the CV was created/modified :shock:

Pretty standard for most employers these days.

If the date created/modified is after the advert was posted; you can see that the applicant is definitely interested in the job they're applying for; as they've checked and tailored their CV specifically for the application; or at the very least make sure it is kept well up to date.

If the CV sent in is months; even years old, it shows the applicant is just applying for everything and anything hoping to get a hit; not taking time or effort to tailor their application for my job advert.

amateur

On Moderation
Pretty standard for most employers these days.

If the date created/modified is after the advert was posted; you can see that the applicant is definitely interested in the job they're applying for; as they've checked and tailored their CV specifically for the application; or at the very least make sure it is kept well up to date.

If the CV sent in is months; even years old, it shows the applicant is just applying for everything and anything hoping to get a hit; not taking time or effort to tailor their application for my job advert.

ctrl-z ctrl-y ctrl-s

done!

OR

ctrl-n

ctrl-c ctrl-v ctrl-s

"Would you like to replace . . ."

Convert to PDF.

BISH.BASH.BOSH.

Status
Not open for further replies.