• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat Frog "savings fee"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Apologies if this thread exists elsewhere.

Seat Frog are now charging a "savings fee" (apparently started on 1st July) - £2 per transaction

Just attempted to put a bid in of £5, but the it will now cost me £6 (should I go ahead) with this compulsory fee (very Ryanair)

I must admit i don't like this kind of thing, why not just increase the minimum bid to £6 if they want to increase thier profit. To me this kind of compulsory fee just irritates customers more than a price rise. Certainly won't be bidding this time out of priciple (I would have paid more if the fee didn't exist)

Most of the general feedback about this is also negative, not sure why they have done it.

** Edited the fee, it is per transaction **

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WelshBluebird

Established Member
why not just increase the minimum bid to £6 if they want to increase thier profit.
Because they hope people either won't notice it or mistakenly don't take it into account, or so they can advertise "first class upgrades from £5" (with the fee in small print that they hope people miss).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Most of the general feedback about this is also negative, not sure why they have done it.
Just looks like a fairly shameless way to gouge some additional revenue?! :rolleyes:

P.S. Is it now an extra £1 or an extra £2?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Just looks like a fairly shameless way to gouge some additional revenue?! :rolleyes:

P.S. Is it now an extra £1 or an extra £2?

Yes it is - but appears to be for the transaction. I was going to do 2 upgrades on the same transaction so assumed it was £1 per person. However it is £2, so I assume per transaction. Looking to confirm.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I suspect that they take a percentage of the upgrade fee and keep all of the fee, so it's very much about their own profits.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Presumably they will claim this fee is non-refundable, even if you can't make use of your upgrade due to the train being cancelled, missing a connection, or the train being declassified/not having first class. That's probably not lawful, but it'll be a nice little earner nevertheless.

ricoblade

I noticed this the other week and it was I think £2. Generally on LNER it now seems impossible to get a good deal. The price is reasonable until shortly before the auction closes then it ramps up steepl, even on non busy serices. Makes me wonder whether the auction is real or there is a bot/algorithm behind it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I noticed this the other week and it was I think £2. Generally on LNER it now seems impossible to get a good deal. The price is reasonable until shortly before the auction closes then it ramps up steepl, even on non busy serices. Makes me wonder whether the auction is real or there is a bot/algorithm behind it.

More likely people are mostly upgrading last minute (because otherwise why wouldn't they have bought a First Advance?). Same happens with eBay FWIW.

Failed Unit

Established Member

Our mission is to get you the best journey for your money and the “saving fee” is an integral part of helping us fuel our technology to unlock massive savings and perks for you.

Incredible savings: we’ve saved Seatfroggers over £43M so far. Our tech finds premium seat upgrades for a fraction of the price, paving your way to big savings and deals you can't find elsewhere.

Round the clock support: To ensure you're never left in the lurch, our customer service is always at hand. This helps support our team in offering you quick, efficient help whenever needed.

In short, you’re getting access to amazing deals, top-notch tech and outstanding service, and the “savings fee” is a fraction of the savings you make.

No mention of prices of the "saving fee"

I know it falls into the same catergory as the ticketmaster handling fees. It is interesting as often look on the day on shorter journeys. In this case it was Stevenage - Lincoln, if I get it between £5 - £10 that is great as the difference between first and standard is always much more. If you fail then no problem you can spend your money before you get on the trian for refereshments. If I was doing London - Edinburgh I would always pay for the certainty.

SteveM70

Established Member
I'm not terribly familiar with Seatfrog and have never used it, but the quote above says "our tech finds premium seat upgrades for a fraction of the price, paving your way to big savings and deals you can't find elsewhere". (My bold)

Are they actually "finding" anything, or is to the case that they are "given" access to these seats by the train operators?

Failed Unit

Established Member
I don't think they are finding anything, the only other way of getting an "upgrade" is pay the difference on the trian, which if it is possible with your ticket type isn't really a saving anyway. The only other real option for most is the weekend first, I don't know how it compares between seatfrog and the TOCs upgrade in terms of either price or availability.

I can only think of 4 ways of getting a first class ticket.

1. Book at the time of purchase.
2. Weekend first.
3. Seat frog.
4. Pay the difference on the day either on the train or at the station before boaring (depending on circumstances)

Seat frog is good if you have a long section where you don't feel first class is worth it. Lets us say you are travelling from Cambridge - Manchaster via ECML. You may not fee that it is worth upgrading Cambridge - Peterborough or Doncaster - Manchester, but splitting in this example could still be the most cost effective as you can but the class you want per sector.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think they are finding anything, the only other way of getting an "upgrade" is pay the difference on the trian, which if it is possible with your ticket type isn't really a saving anyway. The only other real option for most is the weekend first, I don't know how it compares between seatfrog and the TOCs upgrade in terms of either price or availability.

Price is fixed, availability is basically unlimited to the number of seats without bums in them.

Avanti is different still because the pay-on-board alternative (bar at a silly price) is Standard Premium.

kkong

I'm not terribly familiar with Seatfrog and have never used it, but the quote above says "our tech finds premium seat upgrades for a fraction of the price, paving your way to big savings and deals you can't find elsewhere". (My bold)

Are they actually "finding" anything, or is to the case that they are "given" access to these seats by the train operators?

Sounds like something the ASA would be interested in.

One of my pet hates is companies purporting to make comparisons, without stating what their comparison is with.

"a fraction of the price"... compared to what?

I'm sure I've seen some Seatfrog auctions finish at a price greater than the buy-on-board Weekend First price.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm sure I've seen some Seatfrog auctions finish at a price greater than the buy-on-board Weekend First price.
I had that a couple of times when on longer distance trips. Auction ended up at something like £48 where weekend first was £45. Although Weekend First is subject to availability so for someone boarding at say Berwick for London they might find the limtied available FC seats have already been taken,

Status
Not open for further replies.