• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat pitch information for trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

(I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct forum for this question; please move it if not).

It's pretty easy to find out the seat pitch available on airlines, but I've found it a lot harder to determine the same information for trains. This is quite important for those of us with long legs and/or medical problems. Is there a guide anywhere for the various TOCs?

I mention this because I've just travelled from Paddington to Cardiff and back via GWR standard class for the first time. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I had plenty of legroom, and have previously paid to travel first class on this route based on what's turned out to be a faulty assumption on my part.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
(I'm not sure whether or not this is the correct forum for this question; please move it if not).

It's pretty easy to find out the seat pitch available on airlines, but I've found it a lot harder to determine the same information for trains. This is quite important for those of us with long legs and/or medical problems. Is there a guide anywhere for the various TOCs?

I mention this because I've just travelled from Paddington to Cardiff and back via GWR standard class for the first time. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that I had plenty of legroom, and have previously paid to travel first class on this route based on what's turned out to be a faulty assumption on my part.

Surely there would be too many instances of different configurations and even reverse directions affecting available seat pitch, (usually flight 'equipment' is fairly well defined so the the seat maps on Skytrack and Seat Guru websites can be fairly reliable (planes only fly forwards :) ).
The other issue is that even if seats are reserved, rail journeys are rarely a to B without any stops so there will always be quite a lot of seat 'churn', which may impact on a seat choice. Then of course there's the issues of reservation enforcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.