• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seat reservations missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

In past 3 weeks I have been on peak Northern services between Lancaster and Manchester as part of a longer trip. On the 3 trips where I had seat reservations none were visible and impossible to get a seat.
it seems to be the norm for none to be in place. if they don't intend putting out the reservations then I would prefer they don't allocate a seat. At least then I can prepare that I won't be able to work on the train.
is this normal for Northern (ex transpenine route)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Reservations are offered on the ex-TPE services but are not placed and there is no mechanism to do so. This obviously causes arguments and false expectations.

One of the many reasons the franchise is rotten. People report it all the time (I have a few times) and nothing is done.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR seat reservations are frequently missing, usually blamed on a quick turn round and no time to put them out.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
GWR seat reservations are frequently missing, usually blamed on a quick turn round and no time to put them out.

This isn't about time. This is that Northern are wilfully incompetent and are offering seat reservations on trains where there is no arrangement at all in place to place them.

Presumably changing them so they are counted places is a flick of a switch somewhere, but Northern as usual can't be bothered even though I have reported it more than once.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Reservations are offered on the ex-TPE services but are not placed and there is no mechanism to do so.

Northern said:
You cannot reserve seats on Northern trains. You can reserve seats on many other train operators' services and, if available, we will automatically try to reserve a seat free of charge.

Completely wrong:
24209235_1924326920940996_590135963_o.jpg

Of course, only a very limited number of services are worked by trains with seat numbers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there a mechanism to print/place them at Blackpool N but not Preston, perhaps?

Other passengers on the service where I had an issue said they were never placed on that service.

Dentonian

Established Member
Can I turn this one round and ask why so many seat reservations are not taken up? Whenever I have caught a (usually TPE) train out of Piccadilly or even Stockport, mid morning (Mon-Sat) the train is usually standing room only in theory, but on closer examination there are always plenty of "Reserved" seats not take up.

Agent_Squash

Established Member
I’ve certainly got a reservation from ULV-LAN (ex TPE) in a few weeks time. Only comes up on those services, though.

theironroad

Established Member
The short answer is because seat reservations are free...

It might be unpopular with some but I thinknk that there should be charge for reserving a seat (maybe £2) with any ticket type on longer distance trains where there is demand for seat reservations. There should also be a mechanism for ensuring a refund when seat reservations are suspended due to stock changes etc.. This would include advance purchase tickets that can still be quota controlled without allocating a specific seat.

Just like the charges for carrier bags in shops, I bet there'd be a massive reduction in seat reservations and the seats would be more readily available for others who may not always be able to easily interpret the reservation and have limited geography skills when deciding whether they can sit in the seat for their journey.

gallafent

Indeed. I recall hearing this excuse even for the 0559 from Oxford to Paddington, where they never seem to be put in place these days. Stock to form that service runs up empty from Paddington, then sits in the carriage sidings north of the station for 20 minutes before setting off into Oxford station where it enters service. I complained a few times then gave up bothering. Shrug.

Last edited:

sefton

£2 to reserve, £1 refunded if you cancel it (thus at least helping to solve the "sea of unused reservations" issue).

And a 50% refund of the ticket price (not the reservation) if were not put out would solve that issue.

Clip

Established Member
Reservations are offered on the ex-TPE services but are not placed and there is no mechanism to do so. This obviously causes arguments and false expectations.

One of the many reasons the franchise is rotten. People report it all the time (I have a few times) and nothing is done.
They're not the only toc to offer this are they? Unsure why it's a bad idea when it can tie people to specific trains and thus offer people cheaper fares

pemma

Veteran Member
Of course, only a very limited number of services are worked by trains with seat numbers.

The ex-FNW 156s could easily have their seat numbers reinstated (they used to have them before old Northern removed them.)

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
This would include advance purchase tickets that can still be quota controlled without allocating a specific seat.

There's no point charging for Advance tickets seat reservations: they're either on the train or sat at home. Counted place reservations are idiotic, as an hour on Euston concourse will so delightfully show.

The issue is walk-up ticket holders using the flexibility of their ticket. And charging someone to reserve a seat when they've just dropped £300 on an Anytime return? Nah.

As for the OP, this is yet another bad knock-on effect of a (badly managed and incompetent) commuter TOC being given routes they have neither the competence nor the ambition to run properly.

Starmill

Veteran Member
But surely, you are still paying for the ticket.....and then not travelling
Not travelling on that particular service perhaps. There's no compulsion to travel on the reserved train if you get a free reservation with a walk-up ticket. What's more, some flexible tickets are overpriced enough that it can be cost-effective to buy several Advance tickets for a range of different trains that might be suitable for you and then only travel on one of them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They're not the only toc to offer this are they? Unsure why it's a bad idea when it can tie people to specific trains and thus offer people cheaper fares

They aren't offering counted places (which are fine for the purpose you state) - they are actually giving seat numbers but, I'm informed, they are never placed on those trains (the ones originating at Preston - wouldn't surprise me if there's no longer a printer there as VT don't need one and it's their station).

Dentonian

Established Member
Not travelling on that particular service perhaps. There's no compulsion to travel on the reserved train if you get a free reservation with a walk-up ticket. What's more, some flexible tickets are overpriced enough that it can be cost-effective to buy several Advance tickets for a range of different trains that might be suitable for you and then only travel on one of them.
Probably applies more to some lines than others. Can't really comment as I only travel "on the day" based on weather and successful connections at Piccadilly (or occasionally, Stockport)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There's no point charging for Advance tickets seat reservations: they're either on the train or sat at home. Counted place reservations are idiotic, as an hour on Euston concourse will so delightfully show.

LM tried doing actual reservations and it was an utter shambles. Commuters know which trains are which, so they got on, then there was a bad-tempered game of musical chairs once they were placed.

They could stop doing Advances altogether, I suppose.

I predict "wmtrains" will try it again, then similarly give up.

snail

Established Member
Not travelling on that particular service perhaps. There's no compulsion to travel on the reserved train if you get a free reservation with a walk-up ticket.
The new Virgin Trains app is pretty bad in that respect. I've booked a few open returns where I don't need a reservation but it forces you to select a train on the outward journey and gives a seat reservation even though I've unchecked the box.

xotGD

Established Member
Or you've been given a seat reservation in Coach C, which is fully reserved, in a backward-facing airline aisle seat, but you choose to sit in Coach E at a totally unreserved table in a forward-facing window seat and have the table to yourself.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes - although that problem for me personally has abated significantly with the introduction of seat selectors. Yet more reasons why all IC operators ought to offer them.

theironroad

Established Member
one of the best things swt did was get rid of seat reservations all together on portsmout,weymouth, bristol and exeter trains. reservations caused more hassle than they were worth for passengers and staff alike.

Clip

Established Member
They aren't offering counted places (which are fine for the purpose you state) - they are actually giving seat numbers but, I'm informed, they are never placed on those trains (the ones originating at Preston - wouldn't surprise me if there's no longer a printer there as VT don't need one and it's their station).

Apologies I had misread the OP

mallard

Established Member
Remember that as per the NRCOT, if seat reservations are not honoured and you find out before the train departs and choose not to travel, you are entitled to a full refund without administration fee even on usually "non-refundable" tickets.

Personally, if I were travelling on a non-Advance ticket and had the time, I'd "choose not to travel" on the booked train, buy a new ticket, travel on the next one and apply for a refund on the first. While I may not gain anything by doing so, it will at least cost the TOC something to process the refund which I would deem a fair penalty for failing to meet their obligations.

Status
Not open for further replies.