• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

seated on a sleeper as part of a wider journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeter45

so need some advice on this
on the return of a Amsterdam to Copenhagen trip next year as Osnabruck is closed for what i can assume is engineering works my return leg includes a leg on IC 60402 that seems to be the upcomming NJ 402 Zurich to Amsterdam that i will end up getting on at Cologne for 2 stops

the rest of the trip was booked first class and all has seat reservations but this section doesnt and was wondering what i should do?, is there likly to be a first class seated carriage or what other seating would i end up with?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
so need some advice on this
on the return of a Amsterdam to Copenhagen trip next year as Osnabruck is closed for what i can assume is engineering works my return leg includes a leg on IC 60402 that seems to be the upcomming NJ 402 Zurich to Amsterdam that i will end up getting on at Cologne for 2 stops

the rest of the trip was booked first class and all has seat reservations but this section doesnt and was wondering what i should do?, is there likly to be a first class seated carriage or what other seating would i end up with?

Overnight trains in Europe that have both seating and sleeping accommodation generally only have 2nd class coaches. You’ll usually only find first class on overnight trains where ‘day sets’ are used such as ICEs.

StephenHunter

Established Member
Other Nightjet services have seated carriages in compartments with six seats in each. They're all second class. What you're going to get on NJ 402 is unclear due to the DB IC coaches in the formation. You may get a compartment, you may get open-plan.

DanielB

According to the rumours (and the test-train that has already ran) the night-IC part of the new NJ 402 Zürich - Amsterdam should have one first class carriage in its composition. This should be an SBB carriage, the only DB carriages StephenHunter mentions are 2nd class.
(Should be something similar to the first carriage on this photo)

I can't find an IC 60402, but 60400 and 60401 are NJ portions and in addition to that contain two DB second class coaches and one first class:

Makes sense you cannot find it as it doesn't exist yet in the 2021 timetable. But it should be a successor of the two trains you're mentioning, only continuing into the Netherlands after the Ruhrgebied instead of going to Hamburg.

Last edited:

popeter45

According to the rumours (and the test-train that has already ran) the night-IC part of the new NJ 402 Zürich - Amsterdam should have one first class carriage in its composition. This should be an SBB carriage, the only DB carriages StephenHunter mentions are 2nd class.
(Should be something similar to the first carriage on this photo)

Makes sense you cannot find it as it doesn't exist yet in the 2021 timetable. But it should be a successor of the two trains you're mentioning, only continuing into the Netherlands after the Ruhrgebied instead of going to Hamburg.
thanks for that info :D

Veteran Member
Fairly likely to be a saloon coach not compartments if it is SBB stock.

OT: I am intrigued as to how your connection from Copenhagen lands you in Cologne for 0600!

popeter45

Fairly likely to be a saloon coach not compartments if it is SBB stock.

OT: I am intrigued as to how your connection from Copenhagen lands you in Cologne for 0600!
its a strange route with some long stopovers but was the best balancing act of as late of a departure as possible while avoiding several IC-RE-IC changes at ungodly hours
15:26 IC 397 that arrives in Hamburg at 20:02
its then an almost 3hr stopover in Hamburg so plan to grab some food in that time before the next leg thats 22:46 IC 921 that arrives in Cologne at an eyewatering 03:01 so gonna try grab some sleep
then yet another 3hr stopover before 06:02 IC60402 to Amsterdam at 9:59

Veteran Member
its a strange route with some long stopovers but was the best balancing act of as late of a departure as possible while avoiding several IC-RE-IC changes at ungodly hours
15:26 IC 397 that arrives in Hamburg at 20:02
its then an almost 3hr stopover in Hamburg so plan to grab some food in that time before the next leg thats 22:46 IC 921 that arrives in Cologne at an eyewatering 03:01 so gonna try grab some sleep
then yet another 3hr stopover before 06:02 IC60402 to Amsterdam at 9:59
Sounds dire, but at least the present IC2021 has a compartment first (as you probably noticed!). I'm too old for that sort of travel now :(

duesselmartin

Established Member
Sounds dire, but at least the present IC2021 has a compartment first (as you probably noticed!). I'm too old for that sort of travel now :(
took a seated night train this year and it took me days to recover. From a certain age its no fun. As a student it was night interrail seats for days and days.

Status
Not open for further replies.