• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SeatFrog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tractor86

I’m heading to London on Saturday 28th. First Avanti train out from Preston and the 2031 back from Euston.
I have never used seat frog before and was wondering how I use it? Do I have to do it now or the day before I travel. I wouldn’t mind a cheeky upgrade.
Thanks in advance for any replies :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

E759

Everything you need to know is on the Seatfrog website. In short, download the app, enter your payment card details and add your journeys. Bidding starts 24 hours before departure and closes 30 minutes before departure. Good luck!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Bidding starts 24 hours before departure of the the train from its origin station, not the station you are joining at if it is an intermediate stop.

Tallguy

I am a regular user of Seatfrog. It’s a great app, good luck with it.

I am a regular user of Seatfrog. It’s a great app, good luck with it.

njr001

Worth trying Seatfrog can be significantly cheaper than weekend first upgrade

TonyR

I use Seatfrog a lot on that route and it works pretty well where upgrades are available. Beware though. As the trains are becoming busier, I had a train declassified and I can’t get a refund. Seatfrog claim it’s Avanti’s responsibility on their website and are not responding at all to emails. Avanti are at least responding but saying it’s Seatfrog’s responsibility. I’ve asked them to talk to each other to resolve it but don’t have high hopes.

TonyR

Just going by this trying to purchase one with the Avanti app.

They were doing it last week when I travelled with them.
Now you mention it I remember them announcing it on my train on Friday. Decided not to bother as I’d have to travel the length of a crowded train with my luggage to find someone to ask if one was available and how much. So not really practical on the train and better done as with Seatfrog so you can get on in the right place,

Attachments

• 0151C2A1-228D-414A-9B6B-9B68425584ED.jpeg
    0151C2A1-228D-414A-9B6B-9B68425584ED.jpeg
    289.9 KB · Views: 55

lfc84

I paid £10 for EUS - LIV a couple of years ago. Now looks like it's £25 minimum

RolandR

I'm due a return trip LDS to KGX tomorrow. For the morning train to KGX Seatfrog is showing as "All seats sold out".
I originally booked advance tickets about a month ago via the LNER website. I am using a Railcard and noticed that the 1st class advance for the evening return was only about £11 more than the Standard class advance. I decided to just take that ticket. It's a guaranteed ticket and seat, compared to Seatfrog where I probably would have had to bid more than £11 and still not get the upgrade. It's always worth a check of the 1st class fares if you are booking an Advance ticket and you have a Railcard.

Tractor86

Managed to snag 1st for my outward journey for £19. Not sure how that happened as I thought it was an auction but I just put my bid in and it gave it me instantly. Might not bother for the return as I tend to snooze on the way back so no point paying a premium for that.

freddie1729

Managed to snag 1st for my outward journey for £19. Not sure how that happened as I thought it was an auction but I just put my bid in and it gave it me instantly. Might not bother for the return as I tend to snooze on the way back so no point paying a premium for that.
They have secret levels and if you bid above them, you win instantly. This is to encourage people to bid early and not wait until the last minute.

pdq

The journey I'm looking at (COV/EUS next Friday morning) has a reserve price of £12. Does that mean that that's the absolute minimum? Given there's no significant catering offer I'm not sure even that's worth it for an hour's journey.

Tractor86

The journey I'm looking at (COV/EUS next Friday morning) has a reserve price of £12. Does that mean that that's the absolute minimum? Given there's no significant catering offer I'm not sure even that's worth it for an hour's journey.
Pretty sure that means it’s the minimum you can bid, yes. For an hour I don’t know if I’d bother

lfc84

Bidding just opened for my travel and it informs me there aren't enough upgrades to place the bid. I only want 4. First train on Sunday am on my route. Seems a bit nonsense

Argyle 1980

Am travelling Euston to Lime Street on 12th September. I know Avanti no longer do weekend first. Anyone know how much premium upgrade is for Euston-Lime Street please? In past with GWR it seems near impossible to get two seat frog upgrades together. I'm not overly bothered about a free can of coke and some pretzels anyway so am perfectly happy with standard premium. Obviously will try seatfrog first if it's potentially cheaper.

Bidding just opened for my travel and it informs me there aren't enough upgrades to place the bid. I only want 4. First train on Sunday am on my route. Seems a bit nonsense
That's what I find with seatfrog on GWR. Had several £13 Penzance-Paddington upgrades but only once have I managed to get two together.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Am travelling Euston to Lime Street on 12th September. I know Avanti no longer do weekend first. Anyone know how much premium upgrade is for Euston-Lime Street please? In past with GWR it seems near impossible to get two seat frog upgrades together. I'm not overly bothered about a free can of coke and some pretzels anyway so am perfectly happy with standard premium. Obviously will try seatfrog first if it's potentially cheaper.

That's what I find with seatfrog on GWR. Had several £13 Penzance-Paddington upgrades but only once have I managed to get two together.
It's £25. Bit steep for a nicer seat on a 2 hour journey if you ask me, especially given it's only £5 more all the way to Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Tallguy

They have secret levels and if you bid above them, you win instantly. This is to encourage people to bid early and not wait until the last minute.
Do you know what these are on each route or how they are calculated?

williamn

I find the best way to use it is to immediately bid the maximum amount I am prepared to pay - that way I frequently get the upgrade straight away.

Status
Not open for further replies.