• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second job as a Trainee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

choochoochoo

Established Member
I own my own business, I'm a driver. Isn't an issue and wasnt during training but as I said training is a MASSIVE commitment and it's mentally very taxing. I wound down my business while training and took a temporary hit to income. I do the odd bits now and then but driving is your primary career and priority, if not don't apply.

Same goes for kids, family life and all the rest of it. This is a serious job, for serious people who can commit. If you *have* to be the one doing a school run and looking after the books on a family business you shouldn't be applying in the first place, the job literally isn't for you.
Oh I know whilst training school is demanding, I don’t think it’s beyond anyone's capabilities to do a certain second jobs provided their time is managed properly.

Just citing the fact that childcare is often more time consuming than a shift working elsewhere, so it just depends on the individual's circumstances and, as is often the case, a one size fits all approach doesn’t work.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hi Everyone, just a quick question. I am thinking of applying for a job as a Trainee Driver for Avanti and currently work in healthcare.

I wanted to know, when you're a Trainee, is it frowned upon for you to have a second job? Obviously once I qualify I will not need one but I wanted to work one day over the weekend in order to have a little bit extra income.

Thanks.
As a trainee driver you would need to invest all your spare time to learning/studying, especially in the first 12 months.

As a potential trainee you’re up against potentially thousands of other applicants who can dedicate the time needed to successfully pass the course.

Food for thought.

choochoochoo

Established Member
As a trainee driver you would need to invest all your spare time to learning/studying, especially in the first 12 months.

As a potential trainee you’re up against potentially thousands of other applicants who can dedicate the time needed to successfully pass the course.

Food for thought.
To be fair, you don’t need to invest ALL your spare time learning/studying, just a good portion.

Everyone learns at a different pace too. Some find rules easy whilst others might excel at routes/traction. Others can struggle with it all, but still qualify as excellent drivers in the end.

Luckyflames

Think i
Hi Everyone, just a quick question. I am thinking of applying for a job as a Trainee Driver for Avanti and currently work in healthcare.

I wanted to know, when you're a Trainee, is it frowned upon for you to have a second job? Obviously once I qualify I will not need one but I wanted to work one day over the weekend in order to have a little bit extra income.

Thanks

Maybe try and pass the initial stages first.

To be fair, you don’t need to invest ALL your spare time learning/studying, just a good portion.

The point I’m making is that the course doesn’t end once you qualify from the Driver Academy. Once you’re out with your driver mentor you will be following his or her shift pattern, which includes Sunday working.

Established Member
Oh I know whilst training school is demanding, I don’t think it’s beyond anyone's capabilities to do a certain second jobs provided their time is managed properly.

Just citing the fact that childcare is often more time consuming than a shift working elsewhere, so it just depends on the individual's circumstances and, as is often the case, a one size fits all approach doesn’t work.

Moonlighting is a bad idea and will go down like a lead balloon if the TOC becomes aware of it, especially if you’re struggling with the course. Trainees can be and are sacked if they fail the rules exams, so I’d advise anyone strongly against doing this.

It’s made clear to anyone that applies that they need to be in a position to commit fully to the course and if you can’t do that you’re better off not applying until you can.

There is likely to be a secondary employment policy which you would need to meet the terms and conditions of, this also needs to be signed off by a manager, this is unlikely to be done due to it affecting your training.

Some people find training harder than others but your performance is monitored at all times and if you are signed off to carry out work elsewhere you’ll have that removed ASAP if your performance is slacking.

Rockhopper

As said previously though, you could potentially be in breach of contract and heaven forbid if there was an incident and the fact you had a second job came to light.

whoosh

Established Member
You need to inform your TOC of any second job.
This is because fatigue needs to be managed.

It doesn't necessarily mean you won't be allowed a second job, but it's not advisable really. As well as a huge amount to learn in the classroom, there is also a huge amount to learn when you do your practical handling (not just the handling of the train, but route knowledge). Practical handling will be working irregular and unsocial hours through the roster with a Minder Driver/Instructor which you will find tiring in itself.

dk1

Veteran Member
I had a trainee who was an ex-bus driver. He asked if he could do some work at the weekend whilst training to make his money up & was told it would not be acceptable & that he should decide which mode of transport he would prefer driving as a career. Needless to say he didn’t take up the second job.

bazzarati

I tend to think this would be a bad idea and could lead to you being denied any overtime opportunities for a start and possibly worse. I would get some confidential advice on this from your trade union or any anonymous support services that your employer has

Status
Not open for further replies.