• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Second stage (joysticks) assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
Hi all,

after a painstaking wait for this day to come I failed this week on the titled assessment.

I encountered what I thought was a issue during practise, I called over for assistance but was told “it’s just how it is, so carry on”. The ball wouldn’t move with slight movement of the controls and then in a blip it would suddenly jump/ glitch and sometimes go outside of the dedicated shape/ line. I managed very well considering for the first 7/8, and had great difficulty on the final 2/3, where it jumped out 3/4 times. I believe speed was my downfall though, I wasn’t under the impression this was a time and accuracy based, but thats my own fault.

I was told I can re take the failed test after 6 months, but when asked for additional info such as will I have to apply myself or will I be called in, the OPC couldn’t provide any info.

does anyone know, thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Speedbird100

I failed it too in 2019 and had to wait to reapply when job adverts came out after the six months

Ladder23

Established Member
I failed it too in 2019 and had to wait to reapply when job averts came out after the six months
thanks for the sharp responce,

I left feeling really angry as that to me was the easiest one, I guess now it’s just hoping for job adverts to rise not too soon and not too late.

Venna1

Where was your assessment, do you believe the fail to be down to faulty joysticks? I have mine tomorrow.

Ladder23

Established Member
Where was your assessment, do you believe the fail to be down to faulty joysticks? I have mine tomorrow.
Not sure, I didn't stay to see how the other guys got on to get a idea, but I've watched videos where it looks smooth, mine wouldn't roll as such but more jump...

The assessor was adamant that that's how its meant to be. Who knows, was my first time!

Watford, oh... good luck!

PK96

Sorry to hear.

I had the same fault. It would freeze and then randomly return and the ball would be elsewhere. I just kept a steady hand until I realised the ball was back

I game so I found this exercise extremely easy therefore, I did it very quick to be fair. I didn't even know it was timed until now you mentioning it.

Ladder23

Established Member
Sorry to hear.

I had the same fault. It would freeze and then randomly return and the ball would be elsewhere. I just kept a steady hand until I realised the ball was back

I game so I found this exercise extremely easy therefore, I did it very quick to be fair. I didn't even know it was timed until now you mentioning it.
I didn't myself till looking into it all this afternoon, I didn't see anything about time, accuracy was key from the impression I got. Like you I have a good steady hand so did surprisingly ok considering, but I was damn slow! Purposely too.... absolute kick in the guts looking back at it all.

Speedbird100

Sorry to hear.

What computer games helped you the most to prepare??

PK96

What computer games helped you the most to prepare??
I play on a console. Using the controller joy sticks. I tend to play COD. That's what I felt helped me loads. As it's all about aiming quick and moving from one person to another so I believe this is what helped me.

Speedbird100

I play on a console. Using the controller joy sticks. I tend to play COD. That's what I felt helped me loads. As it's all about aiming quick and moving from one person to another so I believe this is what helped me.
Thank you

Last edited:

Ladder23

Established Member
It's actually really easy for a gamer, and as a COD player I get exactly what you mean! I think for people not too familiar with gaming controlling without looking at the joysticks will be the concern.. I have read that people jumped out half a dozen times and passed, I know for a fact I never went over 3/4 at most, and even then that was only for the final 2/3.. so for me it must be speed. Looking back I was the last to finish in the class

PK96

It's fine. Just keep playing COD. & When a new opportunity comes you got it! Believe in yourself.

Stigy

Established Member
Hi all,

after a painstaking wait for this day to come I failed this week on the titled assessment.

I encountered what I thought was a issue during practise, I called over for assistance but was told “it’s just how it is, so carry on”. The ball wouldn’t move with slight movement of the controls and then in a blip it would suddenly jump/ glitch and sometimes go outside of the dedicated shape/ line. I managed very well considering for the first 7/8, and had great difficulty on the final 2/3, where it jumped out 3/4 times. I believe speed was my downfall though, I wasn’t under the impression this was a time and accuracy based, but thats my own fault.

I was told I can re take the failed test after 6 months, but when asked for additional info such as will I have to apply myself or will I be called in, the OPC couldn’t provide any info.

does anyone know, thanks
You’ll generally be removed from the recruitment process after a failed attempt (because the OPC usually carry out the tests on behalf of the TOC/FOC and are relevant to a particular campaign - which is unlikely to be ongoing 6 months down the line) so will have to reapply when a vacancy arises.

Ladder23

Established Member
You’ll generally be removed from the recruitment process after a failed attempt (because the OPC usually carry out the tests on behalf of the TOC/FOC and are relevant to a particular campaign - which is unlikely to be ongoing 6 months down the line) so will have to reapply when a vacancy arises.
I did think so,

Generally what's the chances of seeing vacancies within 2 years arise, personally i think it seems doubtful and this looks like the end for me.

Samzino

I think just be aware that is one of your lives gone but I might be wrong, so hopefully this glitch doesn't occur again and you smash the next one. No one wants lag like that at all, agreed.

Newapplicant

Hi all,

does anyone know, thanks

As is the process with most TOCs, you will have to reapply when the post is re-advertised. Some TOCs might allow you to apply before your 6 months providing that you re-take the test after the 6 months if that makes sense. For instance, you apply 4 1/2 months in knowing that it's going to be at least 2 months before you will get back to that stage. However, that is down to individual TOCs/FOCs so would reach out to them and clarify.

Having failed psychometrics myself, sadly not this example though, I was able to re-apply before the 6 months, took my interview and now I'm awaiting a date for my second life psychometrics.

When you do return for the psychometrics, any stages that you completed you will not need to re-do, only the stages that you failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.