• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Secret Platform Birmingham New Street ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LM 170

At the Wolverhampton end of Platform 12 in Birmingham New Street there is a bay platform. Which I've always called Platform 13 that can fit a 3 car train in it I do know that it did used to be a Parcels Bay Platform. Does anybody know if it is going to reopen as a full time public use platform in 2015 ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
There (was/is) a similar bay at the Eastern end as well. Would be useful if both of these could be rebuilt for passenger use really, but the curvature may prevail this.

Eagle

Established Member
That's a siding known as the East Dock. I think it's only really accessible from the Derby/Leicester direction, which limits its usefulness. (Not sure how long it actually is.)

The Planner

Veteran Member
2 car at best, knocking it back for a 4 car was looked at but would cost a fortune apparently.

alex17595

That's a siding known as the East Dock. I think it's only really accessible from the Derby/Leicester direction, which limits its usefulness. (Not sure how long it actually is.)

What about the nottingham-new street trains if they are 2 car turbos?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
They (and the Leicesters) are mostly 3 or 4 car at the peak times when an extra platform might be of most use.

The Planner

Veteran Member
When it gets re-signalled, unless they can get grandfather rights on it, then the buffers are probably not compliant with modern standards and they would reduce the standage.

Kingsbury Jn.

At the Wolverhampton end of Platform 12 in Birmingham New Street there is a bay platform. Which I've always called Platform 13 that can fit a 3 car train in it I do know that it did used to be a Parcels Bay Platform. Does anybody know if it is going to reopen as a full time public use platform in 2015 ?

According to the plans, the west dock will be filled in with surface water catchment tanks and 'services'. The east dock is to be retained. The east dock was used for the newspaper trains in the 60's & 70's. My late grandfather used to collect them from there in the early hours of the morning.

David Goddard

Established Member
When it gets re-signalled, unless they can get grandfather rights on it, then the buffers are probably not compliant with modern standards and they would reduce the standage.

Would fit a Parry People Mover in for a shuttle to the new HS2 station :rolleyes:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm sure I saw a single 323 in the West Dock a few years ago though.

moggie

West dock now has footings for the west end footbridge extension which although built for some time has never opened, the whole footbridge now out of use. Previously was used to stable stock. A 323 could just about fit.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The West Dock was used until approx 10/11 years ago to stable AC Electric Locos waiting to work XC trains forward under the wires via WCML after having arrived from South/South West with Diesel locos.

snowball

Established Member
The new edition of the Trackmaps (ex Quail) map shows neither the West nor East Docks. The 1990 edition shows both.

james60059

I only ever seen one loco stabled up in "Platform 13" and it was a Class 47/8 (can't remember which though unless I trawl through my notes) still in Intercity livery so was a good few years ago now :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.