• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Section 28.2, unable to start journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Random One

Not sure if this is in the right section. Please do move it if it's not in the right place!

I'm not clear if section 28.2 of thr NrCoT covers if one is unable to start one's journey.

In addition are Lumo covered by the NRCoT?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Could you give a bit more information about the circumstances?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Ze Random One. Anything to do with tonight's 20:27 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service operated by Lumo having been cancelled between London and Newcastle?

Ze Random One

@Ze Random One. Anything to do with tonight's 20:27 Kings Cross to Edinburgh service operated by Lumo having been cancelled between London and Newcastle?
Exactly this. Lumo are being a bit naughty in my opinion by saying "you can request a full refund" through the relevant channels, when should 28.2 apply, I think disrupted passengers are actually entitled to
1. Accommodation for the night
2. Travel the following day (or whenever lines reopen), AND
3. Delay Repay

island

Veteran Member
Exactly this. Lumo are being a bit naughty in my opinion by saying "you can request a full refund" through the relevant channels, when should 28.2 apply, I think disrupted passengers are actually entitled to
1. Accommodation for the night
2. Travel the following day (or whenever lines reopen), AND
3. Delay Repay
You are indeed entitled to those things, as Lumo are covered by the NRCoT, but you will have a job getting Lumo to actually cough up. You're expected to mitigate your losses, so if you live in or near London and it would be reasonable for you to return home for the night, you should do so.

Darandio

Established Member
Just been reading some of their replies on Twitter. People with tickets tonight being told that they won't be valid for tomorrow, to buy potentially more expensive tickets for the Saturday service and to refund the original ones. Covering themselves in glory as usual.

I wonder if the would they actually be able to wriggle out of refunding accomodation costs etc, they say they have ticket acceptance on lner and by luck the last lner seems to have been delayed by 90 minutes and could potentially have taken the passengers from the cancelled 20.27

island

Veteran Member
I wonder if the would they actually be able to wriggle out of refunding accomodation costs etc, they say they have ticket acceptance on lner and by luck the last lner seems to have been delayed by 90 minutes and could potentially have taken the passengers from the cancelled 20.27
If that's the case, then yes, they might be covered.

Ze Random One

You are indeed entitled to those things, as Lumo are covered by the NRCoT, but you will have a job getting Lumo to actually cough up. You're expected to mitigate your losses, so if you live in or near London and it would be reasonable for you to return home for the night, you should do so.
I live on Tyneside, so this isn't near home...

Just been reading some of their replies on Twitter. People with tickets tonight being told that they won't be valid for tomorrow, to buy potentially more expensive tickets for the Saturday service and to refund the original ones. Covering themselves in glory as usual.

I find it interesting that clearly TPE do the twitter stuff for them, and obviously have different "policies" to advise customers on, telling tpe customers tickets valid tomorrow or to claim for taxi etc but then denying the same rights for lumo customers

Ze Random One

Their agents on Twitter authorised a night in a hotel. Let us hope they don't renege on their deal. If the 2200 does run, I'm not sure standing for 4-5 hrs overnight on a full 80x would be satisfactory. I can imagine it being very heavily delayed en route

--Edit--
And given LNER tweeted this 40 mins ago...

#LNERUpdate Due to a tree blocking the railway between #NewarkNorthGate and #Retford all lines are blocked.
Train services running through these stations may be delayed.

Anyway, my main question remains, is it watertight that 28.2 covers an inability to start one's (national rail) journey due to no services / ticket acceptance?

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Anyway, my main question remains, is it watertight that 28.2 covers an inability to start one's (national rail) journey due to no services / ticket acceptance?
And my answer remains as I gave it in post 5 – you're entitled to it, but actually getting a TOC to honour that entitlement may be challenging.

Status
Not open for further replies.