• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Security Checks for Thalys

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil1960

As of today, Thalys have introduced security checks at some (but not all) of its stations. Described by many as a "security theatre", one can jump on Thalys say in Rotterdam to go to Paris unchecked. Yet going back will be subject to screening at Paris Gare du Nord.

http://www.epa.eu/war-photos/acts-o...res-at-thalys-trains-in-paris-photos-52473435

A view of a security checkpoint with metal detectors and luggage x-rays, as part of new enhanced security measures at the Thalys terminal of Gare du Nord in Paris, France, 17 November 2015. French Minister of Ecology Segolene Royal led an initiative to step up security measures for Thalys trains, with the checkpoints activating as of 20 December 2015. In August 2015, an attempted terror attack was thwarted by three passengers on a Thalys train heading to Paris from Amsterdam. The gunman had opened fire but was quickly tackled to the ground by an off-duty US airman.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While this seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to the Paris attacks, could this prove beneficial to Eurostar's ambitions for through services, as it will mean part of their required checks are already in place, and it might not be so hard to add the passport/ID bit on top?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Nobody seems to be publishing what is allowed and what is not, which seems somewhat of a shortcoming.

For me, the addition of this means there is no reason not to prefer air travel.

phil1960

While this seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to the Paris attacks, could this prove beneficial to Eurostar's ambitions for through services, as it will mean part of their required checks are already in place, and it might not be so hard to add the passport/ID bit on top?

Issue at busy stations like Amsterdam CS and Köln Hbf is platform capacity. I'm surprised suddenly Thalys can expect a platform properly sealed off prior to boarding for it to conduct their checks. Or will platforms get properly sealed off? I doubt it, in which case that won't be suitable for Eurostar/Channel Tunnel requirements.

When the direct Eurostar to Amsterdam does start (latest is now early 2017) then it will probably need to make the extended stop in Lille for everyone to de-train and go through checks there.

Phil

AlexNL

Established Member
I'm surprised suddenly Thalys can expect a platform properly sealed off prior to boarding for it to conduct their checks.

Last time I've travelled from Gare du Nord, the departure platform of my Thalys was not announced until about 20 minutes prior to departure of the train, so the platform was mostly empty as all the passengers were waiting in the hall anyway.

This whole "security check" is just a pointless kneejerk reaction to the Paris attacks and the lunatic who brought a Kalashnikov on board a Thalys a few months back. I'm pretty sure the people at Thalys aren't at all pleased with it either.

"Something must be done" so the French government has now introduced this security check to Thalys. I believe the French want to take it even further, wanting to introduce security checks for every TGV.

The problem is that these checks are easily introduced ("we must do something!") but they're very hard to get rid of. Hypothetically: 5 years from now, not a single incident has happened and not one terrorist has been stopped, so someone proposes to abolish the security screening. Then that person will get laughed at because "nobody wants to put the lives of passengers at risk! Besides, the checks have always been there!" :(

Groningen

Established Member
When the direct Eurostar to Amsterdam does start (latest is now early 2017) then it will probably need to make the extended stop in Lille for everyone to de-train and go through checks there

You mean from Amsterdam of course!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
"we will not let the terrorists change our way of life". So what do we do, we change our way of life.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Of course, which is why terrorism can work - to a degree. It arguably worked for the IRA.

Groningen

Established Member
During the IRA-days one would ask how the Dublin - Belfast and v.v. was. If there was any service at all!

jaapstam

it appears from DB website that ICEs from Brussels are also affected

You are right gordon! What made me be even more surprised yesterday (Sunday), when I returned from London to Germany.

On my way to London last Friday, I noticed security checks at Bruxelles Midi station down in the concourse. It seemed to me, that NOT all platform entrances had been covered by this, presumably only platforms 5-8 (??not sure??) if this is possible.

Today I returned on the 15h04 Eurostar from St Pancras to Bruxelles. There have been quite a lot of connecting passengers for Germany and the train was running between 5 and 10 minutes late (ending up just five minutes late in Brussels).

Shortly before arrival in Brussels, an announcement on the Eurostar informed that the departure platform of the 18h25 ICE to Germany was changed from platform 5 to platform 11.

When hurrying through Brussels station and expecting security checks, I again noticed what looked like screening facilities and security staff right under signs indicating "platforms 5-8". So I would have needed to pass them if the ICE had left from platform 5. As it was changed to platform 11 there were absolutely no checks or barriers at all. Up the escalator from the concourse, onto the platform and inside the train (!).

I shortly thought about if the -just very little- delay of the Eurostar and the many connecting passengers might have been the reason for changing the departure platform to one without security checks? Is it possible that they intended to release the ICE to Germany on time??

At least I can confirm that security checks in Brussels are mentioned on the DB website and I can confirm that there have definitely been none for the 18h25 ICE to Cologne and Frankfurt this Sunday.

AlexNL

Established Member
I was referring to security checks in Brussels. It's bad enough that the French felt obligated to put those scanners in at Paris and Lille, but if they're in Brussels too that is very bad.

jaapstam

I was referring to security checks in Brussels. It's bad enough that the French felt obligated to put those scanners in at Paris and Lille, but if they're in Brussels too that is very bad.

Ahh, alright. I saw them in Brussels on Friday and yesterday, but obviously not all platforms are covered by them

phil1960

During the IRA-days one would ask how the Dublin - Belfast and v.v. was. If there was any service at all!

Trains never stopped running between Dublin and Belfast during the troubles. Quick check over bags and body with a hand held scanner at the departure station from what I can remember.

Phil

gordonthemoron

Established Member
there are no security checks on ICEs from Brussels North, Eurostar recommend arriving 30 minutes before departure at midi for Thalys & ICE

fandroid

Established Member
The sad thing is that any lunatic could do as much if not more damage on ordinary trains. Look at Madrid & London. Both were very serious and confined to local trains. The high profile security on flashy trains is just for show.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Edited as I don't want to give them ideas, not even vaguely, after all they may be reading here. But there are plenty of ways the railway network is vulnerable to attack without the attacker being on a train. The appropriate authorities also need to look at securing those, I'm sure they can think of them too.

Last edited:

Polrail

I rode Thalys from Paris Nord to Köln on Sunday at 16:55. We all lined up for the security check, and there were teams of yellow-coated workers crowding the machines, but when the gate opened they just waved everyone through—no bag checks, no checks of people setting off the metal detection gate!

On a side note, despite being in Comfort 1, only a tiny canapé and drink were served on the Paris-Bruxelles section. After departing Bruxelles, a cold "meal" was served (groats with some dips on the side, cheese and roll, and cake). I though it was pretty poor, considering what they charge for the ticket.

The Thalys web site doesn't give any specific times for when meals are served vs. "snacks", but in my opinion a Paris-Koln run at 16:55 should qualify for a hot dinner! What we were served didn't match any of the menus they give for departures from Paris!

Status
Not open for further replies.