• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seeking a definitive answer on free travel for under-11s on National Rail in London

SandsofEss

On the National Rail website here, it states that children aged 5 – 10 can travel for free on certain National Rail services, when travelling with an accompanying adult with a valid ticket.

The list of services includes:

“Between West Hampstead Thameslink / Kentish Town and London Thameslink Group stations (London St Pancras Intl, Farringdon, City Thameslink, London Blackfriars, London Bridge, Elephant & Castle).”​

I’m trying to establish if this only applies for journeys that begin or end at West Hampstead or Kentish Town, or if it means a child can travel for free between intermediate stations (e.g. between London Bridge and St Pancras).

Reasons to think the former: Another route listed is “Between Amersham and Harrow-on-the-Hill (and intermediately)”. Because it explicitly states intermediately here, one might assume it would do the same for the others if applicable.

Reasons to think the latter: The accompanying map on that page (under the Validity dropdown) shows free travel for the whole route.

Does anybody have a definitive answer please?

EDIT: to explain rationale

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
I’m trying to establish if this only applies for journeys that begin or end at West Hampstead or Kentish Town, or if it means a child can travel for free between intermediate stations (e.g. between London Bridge and St Pancras).
It includes intermediate journeys.

SandsofEss

Thank you. Is there a source I can point to other than the National Rail site (which could be ambiguous)?

I had a rather unpleasant ticket office experience this morning with a clerk who was adamant children don't travel for free anywhere on the Thameslink network. It culminated in them refusing to sell me a ticket.

I don't intend to go back and wave it in their face to prove they were wrong, but rather would like to have a source if needs be for when I try again at a different ticket window.

RJ

Established Member
Thank you. Is there a source I can point to other than the National Rail site (which could be ambiguous)?

I had a rather unpleasant ticket office experience this morning with a clerk who was adamant children don't travel for free anywhere on the Thameslink network. It culminated in them refusing to sell me a ticket.

I don't intend to go back and wave it in their face to prove they were wrong, but rather would like to have a source if needs be for when I try again at a different ticket window.

Which ticket office was that and what did you ask them for?

SandsofEss

Tunbridge Wells. It was part of a complicated ticketing request, including for tickets to London International.

The clerk initially attempted to save me money by selling me a normal London return instead of a London International ticket. I thanked her but explained I wanted the CIV protections that come with the latter.

She said she’d never heard of anything like that, and was clearly put out that I didn’t take her advice, which coloured her attitude to the rest of the conversation.

When I mentioned the free child travel between London Bridge and St Pancras, she was adamant I was wrong – and her colleague agreed.

A frustrating conversation, because I made several delicate attempts to assert my position in a non-confrontational way, but I could also see I was dealing with someone who simply wouldn’t countenance the idea that they might be mistaken, and the passenger right.

Benjwri

Established Member
As a source the TfL website on the matter is available here:

When you don't need a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard​

Up to four children under 11 travel free with a fare-paying adult.

Your child doesn't need a photocard to:

• Travel free on buses and trams (unless they look older than 10)
  • Buy child-rate paper tickets (unless they look older than 10)
  • Travel accompanied by an adult on these National Rail services:
Which links to this map:
1714656152881.png

As clearly shown by the routes in green, Thameslink through the core is very clearly valid.

SandsofEss

Thanks, that's helpful.

It's the same map as the one on the National Rail page I linked to, but without the potentially contradictory accompanying text. So hopefully clear proof if needed.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It's not clear to me what you're trying to get. Perhaps you can expand on that a little.

SandsofEss

It's not clear to me what you're trying to get. Perhaps you can expand on that a little.
Thanks. Possibly some confusion because I answered the question about the ticket office I went to.

Insofar as this thread is concerned, I've got what I need (confirmation that children travel free on intermediate journeys in the central Thameslink core). Thanks all for your help.