• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Seemingly valid routeing not showing in journey planners

When engineering work blocks the route between Bury St. Edmunds and Cambridge/Ely, I'd like the option of going via Norwich when travelling from Ipswich to Manea.

Ipswich is a routeing point
and
Manea is associated with Ely, Peterborough and Norwich

Only Ely and Norwich are appropriate routeing points according to the Routeing Guide.

I'd expect therefore that journeys from Ipswich to Manea are valid via
1. the mapped route from ipswich to Norwich
then
2. the shortest route from Norwich to Manea

However, no journey planner offers any fare via Norwich. Am I missing something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

Interesting question. I wonder if it has to do with there being (to my knowledge) no routes from Norwich to Manea that don't pass through Ely?

That's a good point. I've had a look at traksy and it looks to be possible to go directly towards Norwich - I'm not sure any trains do though in passenger service.

signalling diagram showing a route being possible between manea/norwich not via ely

arb

I've had a look at traksy and it looks to be possible to go directly towards Norwich - I'm not sure any trains do though in passenger service.
There is one East Midlands train per week that uses this route, on a Sunday afternoon, presumably for drivers to retain route knowledge in case it's ever needed as a diversion due to problems at Ely itself, where East Midlands would normally reverse: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C55086/2024-01-21/detailed

However East Midlands don't call at Manea, so that's not useful in the context of the original question.

kieron

Established Member
In addition, Ipswich-Manea tickets all have a "via Ely" route. Using the loop north of the station isn't enough, as you can see with a Beccles-Peterborough* journey (the 17:15 arrival only allows more expensive "✠any permitted" tickets, but the other trains stop in Ely and allow "via Ely" ones).

If you wish to use a different route when the normal one is disrupted, you should check your options at the time. While Ipswich-Norwich-Manea seems like quite a detour to me, they do sometime allow different routes in that sort of situation. They don't always give much notice, though.

* You may need to delete any nationalrail.co.uk cookies you have for this link to open correctly.