• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Selhurst Plat 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbouffant

Why is this platform divided by such a long length of sturdy fence? I don't recall seeing a similar arrangement elsewhere on the network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why is this platform divided by such a long length of sturdy fence? I don't recall seeing a similar arrangement elsewhere on the network.
To stop people getting near the fast lines. Fences are fairly common in that area, eg Thornton Heath, Norbury, Streatham Common, and on the wider SN mainline network usually on four line stretches where trains don’t normally stop on the fast side of an island.

Last edited:

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Its to put people off jumping in front of trains on the Fast Lines. They're also at Purley, Purley Oaks.
Presumably they're elsewhere on the network too where there are fast lines where trains don't ordinarily call?

hwl

Established Member
To stop people getting near the fast lines. Fences are fairly common in that area, eg Thornton Heath, Norbury, Streatham Common, and on the wider SN mainline network usually on four line stretches where trains don’t normally stop on the fast side of an island.

I think the first trial was at Wandsworth Common due to the close proximity to Springfield.
Also seen at other TOCs eg. SWR Earlsfield (ditto historical Springfield issue)

Southern traditionally took an industry lead in suicide prevention hence more measures than on some other TOC managed stations.

Last edited:

NSE

Established Member
South Croydon is another one. The exit is on Platform 1 (the up fast) so the subway exit is fenced in along to the main exit. As others have said, all for suicide prevention on the fast lines.

mavsk

I think the first trial was at Wandsworth Common due to the close proximity to Springfield.
Also seen at other TOCs eg. SWR Earlsfield (ditto historical Springfield issue)

Southern traditionally took an industry lead in suicide prevention hence more measures than on some other TOC managed stations.
The first ones on the mainline were at Purley Oaks and (I think) Purley, a little over 10 years ago. Selhurst to Streatham Common were done a few years later. I worked on stations around that time and they made a huge difference.

Veteran Member
They are not uncommon in other parts of the country - basically, where there is a little-used platform, particularly on the fast lines.

LA50041

Established Member
They’re on a number of SWT stations including Wimbledon and Earlsfield.
OakLeigh Park on the ECML has them and I’m sure I’ve seen some on the WCML stations south of Milton Keynes

fat_boy_pete

E.g. used extensively on the GEML between Stratford and shenfield, with sliding gates for the rare occasions that TfL trains stop on the fast lines

AlexNL

Established Member
If I'm not mistaken it happens on the Western as well, e.g. at Ealing Broadway, Southall and Iver.

They installed one of these fences along Platform 1 at Hither Green a few years ago. It's principally adjacent to the "fast line" originating from Tonbridge and there's a station exit along the end of the Platform that takes you to Springbank Road.

There are sliding gates on the Platform, because even though no trains are booked to call at that Platform and there are no departure boards on it, stopper services do need to be able to call there if Platform 3 is blocked.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If I'm not mistaken it happens on the Western as well, e.g. at Ealing Broadway, Southall and Iver.
… and at most stations between Reading and Didcot. Tilehurst even has a fence on the down fast, a “side platform”, as that is the only entrance.

MCR247

Established Member
I think the WCML slow line stations have these too

mr_moo

Yep, suicide prevention fences. They present interesting issues in some areas - Ealing Broadway has a section that is retractable near the stairs. Most stations have simple sliding gates that can be opened and closed when needed.

They do present interesting operational issues, especially at unstaffed stations like Acton Main Line for example - If a train were to stop, either through disruption or in an emergency etc, and passengers got out, they would then be hemmed in by the fence. Accordingly, you'll notice the gates have handles on the 'normally closed' platform to allow people to open the gates if they find themsleves trapped in there, or there will be some other way of letting 'trapped' passengers out.
Normally they would (should?) be operated by station staff where needed but staff being available can't always be guarenteed, hence the above.

Railway group standards require a minimum width of platform to be 2.5m normally/wherever possible, so the fences need to allow for that, or be designed in a way that the 'fast' platforms have a lesser width and the full 2.5m is provided wherever possible on the normally used side.

Status
Not open for further replies.