• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

semaphores between Crianlarich and Oban

Status
Not open for further replies.

507 001

Established Member
Hey guys.
Just notices one of the semaphores in the Cruachan area was ON (I.e. red).
I understand these are for rockslide protection? I presume there will be some disruption (ha!) tomorrow??
Cheers
Rob

P.s I've forgotten the official name for this system, I'd be grateful if anybody could remind me :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railsigns

Established Member
Those signals go to danger quite often. Most activations are false alarms. On sighting one at danger, the driver just reduces speed until passing two consecutive signals at clear.

507 001

Established Member
P.s I've forgotten the official name for this system, I'd be grateful if anybody could remind me :D

IIRC, they're officially known as The Pass of Brander Stone Signals.
Most people call it Anderson's Piano.

Andersons piano! That's the one, knew it was somebody's piano!

Those signals go to danger quite often. Most activations are false alarms. On sighting one at danger, the driver just reduces speed until passing two consecutive signals at clear.

That makes sense, thanks for clearing it up!

I was familiar with what they were and how they work, just not necessarily what the procedure is, thought it may have worked on the stop and go principle

Status
Not open for further replies.