• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Senior Railcard - is this right?

BanburyBlue

Hi all,

I travel twice a week for work from Banbury to Birmingham Snow Hill. I catch the 07.09 Chiltern service in the morning, and the 16.45 Chiltern return in the evening from Birmingham Moor Street. This is on a Chiltern only Anytime Day Return.

Now, I'm approaching my 60th birthday, and frankly have been getting a little grumpy about it. However, I've just checked the National Rail website following a totally different post on here, and I believe I can get a Senior railcard when the dreaded day arrives. This will reduce my daily ticket from £18.20 to £12.00. I've looked, and it says no time restrictions on this railcard. The only time restrictions appear to be on the Network Railcard south of Banbury. Is this correct? I will have no issues buying tickets to catch a train at 07.09 in the morning?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Hi all,

I travel twice a week for work from Banbury to Birmingham Snow Hill. I catch the 07.09 Chiltern service in the morning, and the 16.45 Chiltern return in the evening from Birmingham Moor Street. This is on a Chiltern only Anytime Day Return.

Now, I'm approaching my 60th birthday, and frankly have been getting a little grumpy about it. However, I've just checked the National Rail website following a totally different post on here, and I believe I can get a Senior railcard when the dreaded day arrives. This will reduce my daily ticket from £18.20 to £12.00. I've looked, and it says no time restrictions on this railcard. The only time restrictions appear to be on the Network Railcard south of Banbury. Is this correct? I will have no issues buying tickets to catch a train at 07.09 in the morning?

Many thanks.
Yes, you can use a Senior Railcard in this way. The restriction is on tickets bought for travel entirely within the Network Railcard area, but as you are travelling north from Banbury this will not apply to you.

BanburyBlue

Yes, you can use a Senior Railcard in this way. The restriction is on tickets bought for travel entirely within the Network Railcard area, but as you are travelling north from Banbury this will not apply to you.
Wow, thank you. That's pretty good.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
If you have a Tesco Clubcard account, you can use £15 worth of points to pay for the £30 railcard, (it used to be £10 worth and before that £7.50 worth, but it's still good value, as basically it's free).

Unfortunately, the three year railcard is not available with Clubcard vouchers.

JBuchananGB

It is possible to buy a 1-year Senior Railcard with Tesco vouchers, which is excellent value, and a 3-year railcard costs £70, which would also be good value with your usage pattern. Railcards are available in physical form (plastic or paper) as well electronic.