• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Senior Railcard validity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
My first senior railcard has just dropped onto the doormat this morning.

My birthday is not until next week and the T&C's supplied with the card state "You must be aged over 60 to purchase a Senior Railcard", but there is nowhere which says I can't use it before that date!

Purely semantics, but would it be against the rules to use it before my birthday next week?

The expiry date is also six days beyond my birthday, why is this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
You have to be 60 years or over to use a Senior Railcard.

Extract from Senior Railcard T+C's said:
Am I Eligible for a Senior Railcard?
You're eligible for a Senior Railcard if you are 60 years old or over.

You can buy one up to two weeks before your 60th birthday if you buy online, but it’ll only be valid from your birthday onwards. If you buy from a station you cannot buy in advance of your 60th birthday.

https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/are-you-eligible/

jfollows

Established Member

My birthday is not until next week and the T&C's supplied with the card state "You must be aged over 60 to purchase a Senior Railcard", but there is nowhere which says I can't use it before that date!

Purely semantics, but would it be against the rules to use it before my birthday next week?

No, you can't use it before your birthday because you missed where it says you can't (https://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/are-you-eligible/):
You can buy one up to two weeks before your 60th birthday if you buy online, but it'll only be valid from your birthday onwards.
Mine expires 7 October and my birthday is 1 October and I bought online last year, so similar expiry date extension as you. It arrived before 1 October also. However I had planned to buy an all-line rover last October but changed my mind, oh well, so far I've used it for an off-peak day return Wilmslow-Cheadle Hulme! I'll probably get an all-line rover in a couple more months, once the days start getting longer .......

Last edited:

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Thanks for the replies which I fully expected to be the case, however, the letter which accompanies the card in the post (and for all intents and purposes is very comprehensive) does not state it cannot be used before your birthday.

alistairlees

Established Member
Thanks for the replies which I fully expected to be the case, however, the letter which accompanies the card in the post (and for all intents and purposes is very comprehensive) does not state it cannot be used before your birthday.
The Railcard website does say (as per the link above):
You can buy one up to two weeks before your 60th birthday if you buy online, but it’ll only be valid from your birthday onwards.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Imagine getting ID'd to prove you are over 60!! Would be a good story to tell. Nobody will know. But yes you would be breaking rules officially.

Class800

Established Member
The website says it is valid from 60th birthday. However, the 60th birthday date really should be shown on the card as a valid from date, otherwise how will a guard be able to detect if it is used immediately on receipt?

jfollows

Established Member
The rule requiring its use on or after your 60th. birthday is completely unenforceable, which I realised when I received mine a few months ago, but that wasn't the question originally asked here.

Class800

Established Member
It is against the rules, but completely unenforceable. Simply printing valid from date on the railcard would prevent this issue.

Class800

Established Member
Many cards have a valid from date, such a membership cards. However, the amount of time involved is quite minor, so the implications are not that great.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
For the absence of doubt, I will not be using the card before my birthday. I was just shocked that it doesn't show a "Valid From" date.

davews

When you get the replacement in three years time it will run to the same expiry date (ie plus 3 years) but can be used immediately you receive it (confirmed by local station ticket clerk).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
When you get the replacement in three years time it will run to the same expiry date (ie plus 3 years) but can be used immediately you receive it (confirmed by local station ticket clerk).

It's only a one year version as I used Tesco Clubcard Rewards to "buy" it and they don't offer the three year card. Still effectively completely free though.

Ianigsy

There's rather more trust involved with the Senior Railcard than with others. My grandma and her neighbour (both now 20-25 years deceased) managed successfully to share one for several years.

Haywain

Veteran Member
There's rather more trust involved with the Senior Railcard than with others.
Actually, most railcards do not require photographs - the Network Railcard, Disabled Railcard, Family Railcard are other examples of this. Personally, I would have all railcards issued with photos but it's not my choice.

stephens

I wish I’d had your conundrum about an early start when I got my first senior railcard. I applied early for mine and received it a week before my 60th birthday.

Unfortunately that was at the start of lockdown 3 in January last year. Because of the restrictions I couldn’t make use of my railcard until April!

Have made plenty of journeys since then. it has now paid for itself four times over.

Mine also expires several days after my birthday.

Enjoy it when the time comes.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I wish I’d had your conundrum about an early start when I got my first senior railcard. I applied early for mine and received it a week before my 60th birthday
Better than Mrs H managed with her bus pass, which turned up a good two weeks after her relevant birthday (and the Royal Mail were not at fault).

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Somehow I suspect that nobody in the upper management of the Railway is too bothered about the "huge" amount of potential lost revenue accruing from the "vast numbers" of people who, it just so happens
- are literally a few days before their 60th birthday
- have obtained a brand new railcard and it has arrived in advance
- and attempt to use it during this brief period of technical non-validity
At least - not bothered enough to do anything about it.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Somehow I suspect that nobody in the upper management of the Railway is too bothered about the "huge" amount of potential lost revenue accruing from the "vast numbers" of people who, it just so happens
At least - not bothered enough to do anything about it.
I suspect you are right. If they were bothered it would be a problem that could be measured to some extent as it must be possible to establish how many railcards are sent out in advance of the holder's 60th birthday. I would guess that it is a very small problem.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The 6 days is I believe leeway they add on to take into account time lost when it's in the post to you. If they've post dated it that isn't really applicable, but it must be a standard process.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The 6 days is I believe leeway they add on to take into account time lost when it's in the post to you. If they've post dated it that isn't really applicable, but it must be a standard process.
I think for new railcards they are issued with a set period between the application date and start date unless the start date would be prior to the 60th birthday.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I think for new railcards they are issued with a set period between the application date and start date unless the start date would be prior to the 60th birthday.

When you apply on-line, the calendar where you enter your DoB is only activated to 14 days in advance of "today", (i.e. it is not possible to apply until 14 days before you reach 60).

As I said earlier, the question regarding use before you reach 60 was purely an observation.

On another related point, Google returns "The Trainline" site result at the top when you search for "Senior Railcard". Anyone not aware would then be steered towards a digital version which it would seem automatically links it to their ticketing website!!! When is the government going to stop third-party websites doing this, (rhetorical question as I know the answer is never)?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Google returns "The Trainline" site result at the top when you search for "Senior Railcard". Anyone not aware would then be steered towards a digital version which it would seem automatically links it to their ticketing website!!! When is the government going to stop third-party websites doing this, (rhetorical question as I know the answer is never)?
That's because Google isn't regulated.

_toommm_

Established Member
And presumably because The Trainline pay Google some fee to be shown at the top of search results.

The links at the top of Google I’ve been told are pay-per-click. When I worked for a finance company I was always told to click the result a few results down, as opposed to the one right at the top as they would pay for me clicking on it.

Falcon1200

Established Member

I suspect you are right. If they were bothered it would be a problem that could be measured to some extent as it must be possible to establish how many railcards are sent out in advance of the holder's 60th birthday. I would guess that it is a very small problem.

I would agree that the revenue lost is probably not that great, and on the other hand the railway is putting the customer first by ensuring they receive their first Senior Railcard in plenty of time for their 60th, rather than posting it at the last minute with the risk of delay in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.