• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SEPTA App not available "in your region"

AdamWW

Established Member
I tried installing the SEPTA App on my Android phone but apparently it's not available on Google Play in my region.

I don't know if when uploading to the app store you specifically have to deny access to particular regions if that's what you want, or if it's somehow the default and other regions have to be enabled, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for other US transit agencies.

It's somewhat unwelcoming.

I hope UK companies don't do the same for our foreign visitors.

I expect there's a workaround but I'm not sure I could be bothered.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gaelan

As an American living in the UK, I face this problem regularly. Off the top of my head, this is the case for the Nationwide and Tesco apps; I'm sure there are others.

I've ended up having to make a separate Apple account to download these apps. (I can't switch my primary Apple account to the UK, as that would entail losing access to "family sharing", requiring me to pay for various things already paid for by my parents.)

Flying Snail

Established Member
I tried installing the SEPTA App on my Android phone but apparently it's not available on Google Play in my region.

I don't know if when uploading to the app store you specifically have to deny access to particular regions if that's what you want, or if it's somehow the default and other regions have to be enabled, but it doesn't seem to be a problem for other US transit agencies.

It's somewhat unwelcoming.

I expect there's a workaround but I'm not sure I could be bothered.
Many UK companies do geo restrict apps, it is a really stupid and irritating practice.

It is Google Android/Apple that are mostly to blame, it should be simple to just swap countries or just select which country app to install but they make it near impossible.

AdamWW

Established Member
Many UK companies do geo restrict apps, it is a really stupid and irritating practice.

It is Google Android/Apple that are mostly to blame, it should be simple to just swap countries or just select which country app to install but they make it near impossible.

Interesting because I travel abroad a bit and it's the first time I've not been able to download an app like that.

I'm sure there are legitimate reasons for such restrictions in some cases, but this doesn't seem to be one.

nw1

Established Member
When uploading an app you can restrict what countries it's distributed to - I guess this is to protect users, and perhaps developers too, by preventing the distribution of politically-sensitive or locally-illegal content to countries where users might get into trouble for accessing it (e.g. an app that makes fun of Putin in Russia).

I see no reason for the developers of the SEPTA app to restrict access outside the US though.

Last edited:

AdamWW

Established Member
I see no reason for the developers of the SEPTA app to restrict access outside the US though.

That's why I was wondering if there was additional work involved in allowing access to different regions.

nw1

Established Member
That's why I was wondering if there was additional work involved in allowing access to different regions.

The default (I think) is to allow distribution to zero countries, but then you can "select all".

gordonthemoron

Established Member
If I want to install an app that isn’t available in the UK, I just change the Region on my iPhone to the required country, install app and then change it back to UK, I’ve not had a problem with that method. I’ve done that for Ticketmaster DE and Ticketek AU

eldomtom2

On Moderation
I believe that legislation like GDPR plays a role here. It's not very surprising that the developers of a transit agency app would err on the side of caution and restrict access outside the country that 99% of its users will be from.

AdamWW

Established Member
I believe that legislation like GDPR plays a role here. It's not very surprising that the developers of a transit agency app would err on the side of caution and restrict access outside the country that 99% of its users will be from.

In principle perhaps it's not surprising.

But it surprised me because I have happily downloaded plenty of similar apps without any trouble.

nw1

Established Member

Mind you is there any reason why a public transport info app would, or perhaps I need to say should, raise any GDPR concerns in any case? It wouldn't need to collect any personal information, for example.