• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Services between Nuneaton and Atherstone delayed by a trampoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

sn1975

http://www.nuneaton-news.co.uk/rail...y-trampoline/story-30049508-detail/story.html

TRAINS between Nuneaton and Atherstone are being forced to run slower as a garden trampoline has been blown onto overhead power cables.

Passengers will notice that services are taking longer than normal today (Wednesday, January 11) due to the trampoline being caught on the overhead electric wires.

London Midland has confirmed that trains between the two tows are having to run at reduced speeds to avoid hitting the large garden object.

At the time of publication it was unclear how long the imposed speed restriction was going to be in place.

Regards.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KTHV

I see London Midland are activating their Spring Timetable early this year...

duncanp

Established Member
I was at Harlow Town some years ago when a child's kite got carried by a gust of wind and became entangled in the overhead wires, with a consequent delay to services

Pity the poor person at Euston making the announcements. Do you either say "..services are being delayed due to a trampoline on the line in the Nuneaton area..." and no one believes you, or do you say "..services are being delayed due to operational issues...." and everyone thinks you are just trying to cover up something else.

rebmcr

Established Member
I pity the poor person at Euston making the announcements. Do you either say "..services are being delayed due to a trampoline on the line in the Nuneaton area..." and no one believes you, or do you say "..services are being delayed due to operational issues...." and everyone thinks you are just trying to cover up something else.

"Trampoline blown into the wiring" is perfectly plausible and informative.

OwlMan

Established Member
Photo from Nuneaton News
15792226-large.jpg

Photo from Coventry Telegraph
trampoline.jpg

duncanp

Established Member
That is good picture, thanks.

Putting it on an announcement on Twitter and Facebook would show people the truth, and that it is not going to be an easy matter to clear the obstruction.

38Cto15E

I was standing on the down slow platform waiting with 8 other passengers for the 1101 northbound today, it arrived on time, but unfortunately for us it was on the down fast line.
At least the driver was decent enough not to blow his warning horn. :)

There are no staff at Atherstone, no PA announcements today regarding the delay and some passengers rang the Helpline in India which wasn't much help either as we tried to accertain whether the 1201 would be stopping.
Fortunately someone shouted from the up platform to get the 1128 to Nuneaton and then catch the northbound london Midland making passengers just the hour late.
It wasn't the incident that stressed the passengers it was ythe lack of information.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Putting it on an announcement on Twitter and Facebook would show people the truth, and that it is not going to be an easy matter to clear the obstruction.
I agree. I've read about trampolines on the railway line before due to wind and I've always ended to see a photo. Finally I have. Of course it would be better it wasn't there but as it is.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
[emoji38]

Just for the record, the spelling mistake is theirs, not mine [emoji38]

I was going to change it in the quote, but forgot :oops:
Don't need to change it. Just put [sic] at the end. It is what journalists do when quoting spelling mistakes
I was standing on the down slow platform waiting with 8 other passengers for the 1101 northbound today, it arrived on time, but unfortunately for us it was on the down fast line.
At least the driver was decent enough not to blow his warning horn. :)

There are no staff at Atherstone, no PA announcements today regarding the delay and some passengers rang the Helpline in India which wasn't much help either as we tried to accertain whether the 1201 would be stopping.
Fortunately someone shouted from the up platform to get the 1128 to Nuneaton and then catch the northbound london Midland making passengers just the hour late.
It wasn't the incident that stressed the passengers it was ythe lack of information.
I think that might be part of the course from London Midland or at least it use to be when I use them from Harrow. To be fair that might have been a communication issue between them and TfL.

TimboM

Established Member
I seem to recall trains being delayed by a carrier bag trapped in overhead wires the other winter? A full-sized trampoline is far more impressive!

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that might be part of the course from London Midland or at least it use to be when I use them from Harrow. To be fair that might have been a communication issue between them and TfL.

Does Atherstone have an automated PA? When a cancellation is entered into the systems at other LM stations normally it announces the cancellation and automatically finds and announces direct alternatives for key stations (but isn't clever enough to work out that double-back).

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I was on one of the trains from B'ham New St (1030ish) that was delayed by this, this morning. We seemed to be rerouted via Wolverton and only lost a couple of minutes on arrival at Euston.

38Cto15E

Atherstone has an automated PA system, but it was not working today.
I was an hour late reaching Stafford and missed my Virgin Trains (advance tickets) train to Liverpool and also immediately back, VT staff were very helpful both ways and I never had any problems.

QueensCurve

Established Member
"Trampoline blown into the wiring" is perfectly plausible and informative.

Agreed. "operating incident" just leaves people wondering what on earth it is.
When I first saw the word "trampoline" being used in a railway context on a thread, for one moment, I thought that a Pacer with its particular side-effect of suspension had strayed away from its normal haunts....:D

Pitching like a nodding donkey which is nauseating even on the 10mph limit between Carlisle and Currock Junction.

Someone did tweet pictures of it I think it was Network Rail and Virgin Trains.

Were, or could have, services continued on down Up Fast and and up Up Slow?
I was on one of the trains from B'ham New St (1030ish) that was delayed by this, this morning. We seemed to be rerouted via Wolverton and only lost a couple of minutes on arrival at Euston.

Wolverton or Wolverhampton?

fgwrich

Established Member
They See Me Rollin...

[youtube]FRIaKMdO-Vw[/youtube]

In all seriousness though, I hope there isn't much damage done and the trampoline can be removed safely. Presumably it's blown over the fence?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
So, when was it all cleared? Can Network Rail claim compensation for this from the houseowner? And if not, why not? If there is no comeback, the owner can leave his or her trampoline out and it gets blown across the track again next year, surely?

It must have cost NR a few thousand in repairs/checking alone, not to speak of the delay days racked up by the slower trains.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
That doesn't make sense. All trains on the WCML between London and Birmingham have to pass through Wolverton.

I don't know. We were told by the Virgin TM we had been diverted. I don't remember going that way in the past.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Agreed. "operating incident" just leaves people wondering what on earth it is.

Pitching like a nodding donkey which is nauseating even on the 10mph limit between Carlisle and Currock Junction.

Someone did tweet pictures of it I think it was Network Rail and Virgin Trains.

Were, or could have, services continued on down Up Fast and and up Up Slow?

Wolverton or Wolverhampton?

Possibly Northampton?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis

Here's an excerpt from RealTimeTrains Nuneaton on 12 Jan. Sorry, it's lsot its table formatting.
Of the trains that have N/R by them, they have no recorded times between Rugby and Stafford, where they emerge about 50 mins late.
This would seem to imply running via Stechford Aston Bescot Pleck Jc and Bushbury Jc
Does N/R on RealTimeTrains mean "not recorded"? in the sense of "didn't come this route".
I did check Bescot and Bushbury JC on RTT but there isn't any mention of them there. Maybe it doesn't mention short period diversions not in the WTT?
I was on Preston waiting for a Lancaster train and 1S45 was about 55 late.

WTT 0851 0852 Gloucester 7 1L00 XC Stansted Airport 0852 0853¼
WTT 0853 0854¼ London Euston 2 1U25 LM Crewe 0854 0939¼
WTT pass London Euston 3 1H11 VT Manchester Piccadilly 0854½ N/R
WTT pass Liverpool Lime Street 4 1R27 VT London Euston 0904 N/R
WTT pass London Euston 3 1F12 VT Liverpool Lime Street 0905 N/R
WTT 0906½ N/R Felixstowe North Gbrf 2 4M21 ZZ Trafford Pk Euro Tml Gbrf 0908½ N/R
WTT pass London Euston 3 1D82 VT Holyhead 0910 N/R
WTT 0907 0907 Stansted Airport 6 1N43 XC Birmingham New Street 0910 0910
WTT pass Glasgow Central 4 1M06 VT London Euston 0912 N/R
WTT 0916 Cancel Crewe - 1U22 LM London Euston 0916 Cancel
WTT pass Manchester Piccadilly4 1R28 VT London Euston 0917 0921
WTT pass London Euston 3 1H12 VT Manchester Piccadilly 0918 N/R
WTT pass Manchester Piccadilly 4 1A12 VT London Euston 0920 N/R
WTT pass Derby Litchurch Lane 7 FRGT ZZ Wembley Eur Frt Ops Cntre 0920½ (Q)
WTT pass London Euston 3 1S45 VT Glasgow Central 0924 N/R
WTT 0922 0929¾ Birmingham New Street 7 1K07 XC Leicester 0923 0930½

Trains seem to have been running normally along the Trent Valley line again after about 10.00, so they got the trampoline unhooked from the wires fairly quickly.

TimboM

Established Member
Does N/R on RealTimeTrains mean "not recorded"? in the sense of "didn't come this route".
I did check Bescot and Bushbury JC on RTT but there isn't any mention of them there. Maybe it doesn't mention short period diversions not in the WTT?

N/R is "No Report" and, yes, if there's a last minute diversion the WTT isn't updated (on RTT at least) so you'll get "N/R" along the part its missed out, but it won't show on the diversion route. It'll then "reappear" somewhere later down the route when the diversion is complete, often with an (increased) delay.

"N/R" sometimes happens for odd intermediary points/stations too where the train hasn't been picked up by recording equipment (especially on more local/branch lines) so doesn't always mean a diversion. In this case, though, I'm pretty sure it will have been a diversion.

Class 170101

Established Member
Here's an excerpt from RealTimeTrains Nuneaton on 12 Jan. Sorry, it's lsot its table formatting.
Of the trains that have N/R by them, they have no recorded times between Rugby and Stafford, where they emerge about 50 mins late.
This would seem to imply running via Stechford Aston Bescot Pleck Jc and Bushbury Jc
I was on Preston waiting for a Lancaster train and 1S45 was about 55 late.

WTT 0851 0852 Gloucester 7 1L00 XC Stansted Airport 0852 0853¼
WTT 0853 0854¼ London Euston 2 1U25 LM Crewe 0854 0939¼
WTT pass London Euston 3 1H11 VT Manchester Piccadilly 0854½ N/R
WTT pass Liverpool Lime Street 4 1R27 VT London Euston 0904 N/R
WTT pass London Euston 3 1F12 VT Liverpool Lime Street 0905 N/R
WTT 0906½ N/R Felixstowe North Gbrf 2 4M21 ZZ Trafford Pk Euro Tml Gbrf 0908½ N/R
WTT pass London Euston 3 1D82 VT Holyhead 0910 N/R
WTT 0907 0907 Stansted Airport 6 1N43 XC Birmingham New Street 0910 0910
WTT pass Glasgow Central 4 1M06 VT London Euston 0912 N/R
WTT 0916 Cancel Crewe - 1U22 LM London Euston 0916 Cancel
WTT pass Manchester Piccadilly4 1R28 VT London Euston 0917 0921
WTT pass London Euston 3 1H12 VT Manchester Piccadilly 0918 N/R
WTT pass Manchester Piccadilly 4 1A12 VT London Euston 0920 N/R
WTT pass Derby Litchurch Lane 7 FRGT ZZ Wembley Eur Frt Ops Cntre 0920½ (Q)
WTT pass London Euston 3 1S45 VT Glasgow Central 0924 N/R
WTT 0922 0929¾ Birmingham New Street 7 1K07 XC Leicester 0923 0930½

Trains seem to have been running normally along the Trent Valley line again after about 10.00, so they got the trampoline unhooked from the wires fairly quickly.

Anything between Leicester and New Street doesn't use this route merely crossing the WCML and calling at Nuneaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.