• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Setright and Almex Model A ticket machines

BVW

While I'm familiar with both types in the bus world, I can't seem to find any information of lists of machines used on British Rail. Would there be anything out there in either printed or online form please? I remember seeing Almexes in Paytrain use around Norwich during the 1980s but beyond that I'm clueless. Were there any parts of the country where they were especially prevalent? Any examples of tickets would also be appreciated if they're out there. Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BVW

Thank you for that, very helpful! It's hard to know where to start when it comes to searching on here. For whatever reason these don't seem to be documented to the extent of other railway ticketing systems.

Cymroglan

Thank you for that, very helpful! It's hard to know where to start when it comes to searching on here. For whatever reason these don't seem to be documented to the extent of other railway ticketing systems.
Just in case you don’t already know about it, the Transport Ticket Society would possibly be a good starting point.

I remember travelling on an ancient independent bus in the Salisbury area a very long time ago (1980s?) and being interested in the Setright Speed machine they used.

When I later checked the machine number with a list, which I’m certain I acquired via or from TTS, I discovered it was an ex BR machine which had seen use on Railbuses, possibly Gloucestershire?

I’m not fully confident in the accuracy of my recall though!

robert thomas

Just in case you don’t already know about it, the Transport Ticket Society would possibly be a good starting point.

I remember travelling on an ancient independent bus in the Salisbury area a very long time ago (1980s?) and being interested in the Setright Speed machine they used.

When I later checked the machine number with a list, which I’m certain I acquired via or from TTS, I discovered it was an ex BR machine which had seen use on Railbuses, possibly Gloucestershire?

I’m not fully confident in the accuracy of my recall though!
My recollection of trips on the Cirencester and Tetbury branches are that these used setright tickets

Roger1973

There is what is as close as can be to an authoritative list of Setright mark 1 machines compiled by Allan T Condie which is - or at least was - available for purchase, although a very quick look online hasn't come up with anything.

This has been compiled from various record sources, but does not claim to be complete.

There are a few older versions of this list in Excel format which have been put online, I believe without his permission.

This may not give what you want, for example it lists machine serial numbers 40278 - 40281, machines lettered S to V, being new to British Railways in 1958. For some batches, it gives a BR region, but does not go in to detail about what lines / stations / train crew depots, they were allocated to.

The Transport Ticket Society (as mentioned) may be worth making contact with / joining (I don't know how they react to people making contact just seeking information, but an e-mail won't cost anything.)

There used to be the 'Ticket Machine Website' which had active forums, but it fell off the internet a year or two ago and isn't showing signs of coming back.

The Greater Manchester Transport Museum also has an extensive ticket machine collection (I understand this was added to with a substantial bequest a year or two ago) and it's possible that the collector who left his collection to the Museum also left records of researches.

I'm not aware of any comparable listing for Almex machines, and later (mark 2 / 3) Setrights are less easy to record, as they didn't have individual serial numbers.

Cymroglan

There is what is as close as can be to an authoritative list of Setright mark 1 machines compiled by Allan T Condie which is - or at least was - available for purchase, although a very quick look online hasn't come up with anything.

This has been compiled from various record sources, but does not claim to be complete.

There are a few older versions of this list in Excel format which have been put online, I believe without his permission.

This may not give what you want, for example it lists machine serial numbers 40278 - 40281, machines lettered S to V, being new to British Railways in 1958. For some batches, it gives a BR region, but does not go in to detail about what lines / stations / train crew depots, they were allocated to.

The Transport Ticket Society (as mentioned) may be worth making contact with / joining (I don't know how they react to people making contact just seeking information, but an e-mail won't cost anything.)

There used to be the 'Ticket Machine Website' which had active forums, but it fell off the internet a year or two ago and isn't showing signs of coming back.

The Greater Manchester Transport Museum also has an extensive ticket machine collection (I understand this was added to with a substantial bequest a year or two ago) and it's possible that the collector who left his collection to the Museum also left records of researches.

I'm not aware of any comparable listing for Almex machines, and later (mark 2 / 3) Setrights are less easy to record, as they didn't have individual serial numbers.
Wow, what a thorough and illuminating post, thanks! I have learned so much from this.
I am no longer a member of TTS but I have noticed that an online membership is £10 per annum. I don’t want to be insensitive with regards to anyone’s finances, but it sound like great value to me.