• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settle & Carlisle Line

Oscar46016

Is there any difference between which direction you go in terms of the experience?

I haven't done it for years and then it was Leeds>Carlisle.

Thanks for any gen

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is there any difference between which direction you go in terms of the experience?

I haven't done it for years and then it was Leeds>Carlisle.

Thanks for any gen

I personally prefer northbound, as you have the climb up to the summit then the coast down into Carlisle (which is in places visibly downhill). There's not much in it though.

A loop round via the WCML is nice as the Lune Gorge is in my view better!

greyman42

Established Member
Regarding scenery, if you are travelling from Settle to Carlisle then sit on the right facing direction of travel. In my opinion that is the better side for scenery. If doing a return, you could sit one side one way and then swap for the return.

SteveM70

Established Member
Regarding scenery, if you are travelling from Settle to Carlisle then sit on the right facing direction of travel. In my opinion that is the better side for scenery. If doing a return, you could sit one side one way and then swap for the return.

Agreed, but if possible try and sneak to the left hand side once you're in Blea Moor tunnel ready for the view across Dentdale when you emerge from the northern end

greyman42

Established Member
Agreed, but if possible try and sneak to the left hand side once you're in Blea Moor tunnel ready for the view across Dentdale when you emerge from the northern end
Agreed. Both sides have some great scenery.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I concur. Out via Settle and Carlisle (to Carlisle) and then return via WCML as far as Preston, can fairly straightforwardly be done, starting from somewhere like Lancaster, Preston, Blackburn, Bradford, Leeds, or Skipton, this with an any operator 'North West Round Robin' day ticket, cost is £49.20 before any applicable discount.

xotGD

Established Member
S&C, Cumbrian Coast and Bentham Line makes a nice circular. Especially when you have a Northern Delay Repay free ticket! (And when the Cumbrian Coast line is open.)

Willie Bee

If doing a return, you could sit one side one way and then swap for the return.
Not exactly correct .. you could just sit on the exact same seat on the way back .. you'd be looking out the 'other window' unless the train was travelling in reverse:D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not exactly correct .. you could just sit on the exact same seat on the way back .. you'd be looking out the 'other window' unless the train was travelling in reverse:D

Eh? No you wouldn't, you'd be looking out of the same side moving in the opposite direction, so getting the exact same view.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I personally prefer northbound, as you have the climb up to the summit then the coast down into Carlisle (which is in places visibly downhill). There's not much in it though.

Exactly my preference too. Northbound on the SC and then head south through the Lune Gorge to Preston. Wonderful day out by train.

wilbers

Its also one of the few Northern services that sometimes has a refreshments trolley - little stone built huts at Settle and Appleby stations that it [I say it, but there are at least 2 trollies] lives in when not on a train. There is a handy list of which trains it operates on :

M&NEJ

The best place for 40 winks is between Appleby and Carlisle, nothing to see on this stretch.
If you were having 40 winks then no doubt you'd be oblivious to the Eden gorge! ...One of my favourite parts of the S&C.

Iskra

Established Member
If you think any part of the Settle & Carlisle is dull, you probably aren’t looking properly. Even in poor weather it’s atmospheric and pretty much every time you travel you get a different experience due to different foliage colours and lighting conditions depending on time of year and weather conditions.

I would also say that while views are generally better looking East, the West is not without its charms. Everyone gets caught up looking East on Ribblehead viaduct, but on a clear day if you look South West you’ll be amazed how far you can see down the valley.

And I agree with those advocating a circular journey; involving the Cumbrian Coast/WCML and the Bentham line turns it into a cracking and unbeatable day out in the North of England. I could probably do that circuit forever and never tire.

Last edited:

M&NEJ

...And the view west is good at the confluence of the Eamont and Eden (between Culgaith and Langwathby) with the Lakeland fells on the horizon.

Gaz67

If you were having 40 winks then no doubt you'd be oblivious to the Eden gorge! ...One of my favourite parts of the S&C.
Sorry I was just having a bit of fun regarding another thread on here discussing future S and C issues. I do of course agree with all the above, apologies.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
I reckon northbound has a better build-up to the scenic bit, starting in urban Leeds, then views of high ground around Ilkley Moor etc, electrics and colour lights giving way to semaphores after Skipton, and finally opening up to the high and wild Pennines.

Willie Bee

Eh? No you wouldn't, you'd be looking out of the same side moving in the opposite direction, so getting the exact same view.
I was thinking ..

Take the front seat on the right, heading north ... you would be looking east

take the front seat on the right, heading south .. you would be looking west.

I am also assuming there is a front and back of the train .. but that's maybe not correct ..

So I have to agree .. I'm wrong (just don't tell my wife though)

Jamesrob637

Established Member
An amazing railway (both S&C and that part of the WCML)

Even better on £1 tickets each way!