• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Worthing's Dome Cinema is one of Britain's oldest -- founded in 1910 as a combined skating rink and theatre, with the name of Kursaal. It was renamed the Dome in 1915, owing to World War I anti-German sentiments -- which seem a bit misplaced, since its founder wasn't even German: he was a Swiss impresario. Southend-on-Sea has an amusement park with built-up entrance pavilion, founded near end of 19th century: which has from then up to this day, been uninterruptedly named the Kursaal -- this may have something to do with those who originated it, having been Brits ...

Calthrop

Established Member
In the mid-19th-century, devotees and/or publicists of Llandudno were calling it "The queen of the Welsh watering-places". A little later, this eulogy was being bestowed also on Tenby, Pembrokeshire. A little matter of north versus south?

Springs Branch

Established Member
Until withdrawal at the end of the Cold War, Dunoon was a garrison town for US Navy personnel staffing their nuclear submarine base at Holy Loch.

Another settlement which has retained a peacetime US military presence (US Air Force this time) is Mildenhall in Suffolk.

Wrabness (which sounds as though it should be somewhere in Sutherland or Caithness, not Essex) was the location of a Royal Navy Mine Depot from 1921 to 1963. Another RN Mine Depot was located from 1935 to 1989 at Milford Haven in Pembrokeshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
My chum Gerard Manley Hopkins -- poet, Jesuit priest, and teacher -- stayed in 1880 -- 81 at Rose Hall House, Lydiate: this being the home of Randall Lightbound, a prominent local Catholic. Hopkins was born in 1844 in Stratford, now in the London Borough of Newham.

Last edited:

Springs Branch

Established Member
Stratford is the location of the Abbey Mills Pumping Station, constructed in flamboyant style by Joseph Bazalgette as part of London's massive Victorian-era sewerage infrastructure.

A more contemporary design of sewage pumping station was constructed in the 1990s to service the Docklands Redevelopment, and is located at North Woolwich, also in the Borough of Newham.

Calthrop

Established Member
A number of UK settlements have at any rate, been twinned with settlements in Russia -- these links having tended to be terminated / suspended owing to regrettable events in the past couple of years. Perth's Russian twin is / was Pskov; whereas Exeter is or was twinned with Yaroslavl.

Calthrop

Established Member
Also with a human namesake, surname-wise, who achieved renown for sailing solo round the world: is Blyth, Northumberland -- the respective intrepid sailors being Sir Francis Chichester; and Chay (Sir Charles) Blyth.

Calthrop

Established Member
Buckley -- in a mostly English-speaking part of Wales -- had in the fairly recent past, its own very distinctive English dialect (now mostly "extinct") -- Wiki's description is to the effect of, full of colloquialisms peculiar to it, and often unintelligible to outsiders. In the accompanying list of such colloquialisms are "A lick and a promise" = a quick wash; and, to "chunner" = grumble / mumble / complain. In my childhood, my late parents frequently used both of those. Possibility seen, of their use in our family originating from my father; whose family in his youth dwelt -- though they were, solidly, ethnically English -- in Penyffordd, Flintshire: a couple of miles south-east of Buckley.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ysceifiog is located just off the A541 road, which runs from Wrexham to near Denbigh. The section of this road west of Mold (including Ysceifiog turn-off) is reputed to be the most dangerous, traffic-accidents-wise, in North Wales. Allegedly the similarly most dangerous road in the island of Ireland, is Northern Ireland's A5 from [London]derry to Aughnacloy, Co. Tyrone -- that settlement being just north of the Irish border: south thereof, the road becomes the N2 to Dublin.