• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
The naturalist and geographer Alfred Russel Wallace (1823 -- 1913) lived for a while in Neath in the 1840s; he was born in Llanbadoc, Monmouthshire (just south of the town of Usk). Wallace is most noted for establishing in the natural-history realm, the Wallace Line -- geographical boundary between the areas in which obtain Asian fauna, and Australasian.

Calthrop

Established Member
Llanthewy Vach (in orthodox Welsh spelling, Llanddewi Fach) has -- as expectable from the name -- a church dedicated to St. David. Dalkeith, Midlothian, has a church with the same dedicatee.

Calthrop

Established Member
A short way east of Musselburgh is the village of Wallyford, East Lothian; whose name appeals to my childish sense of humour: I see it as populated exclusively by goofy and annoying -- if harmless -- twerps.

Calthrop

Established Member
Unsurprisingly, Terrington St Clement in Norfolk also has a church that is dedicated to St Clement.
The area in which this settlement lies -- around the southern shores of the Wash -- has long been a renowned venue for wildfowling: shooting of waterfowl, nowadays carried on subject to sensible regulation (Terrington St. Clement has a pub called the Wildfowler). Another part of the country which is big on this activity, is the Solway Firth area. A settlement thereabouts, important in the pursuit, is the village of Powfoot, Dumfries and Galloway -- on the shore of the Firth, a few miles west of Annan.

Calthrop

Established Member
Robert Blake (1598 -- 1657), naval officer and admiral ("big" in naval matters, during Cromwell's period of rule), was born in Bridgwater -- where he is commemorated by a prominent statue near the town centre. He died at sea; but just a short way off Plymouth.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ian Fleming stayed at the Grade 1 listed Elizabethan country house of Moyns Park, very near Halstead; and is thought to have put the finishing touches there, to his From Russia With Love. His elder brother Peter -- journalist and travel writer -- spent the latter part of his life as squire of Nettlebed, Oxfordshire (between Henley-on-Thames and Wallingford).

Calthrop

Established Member
Shillingford has a guest house styling itself the Kingfisher Inn. Colyton, Devon, has a "pub proper" called the Kingfisher.

Calthrop

Established Member
Some centuries ago, Portarlington received its present name; replacing one derived from the Irish language. This also happened with Newmarket, Co. Cork: part of the process of consolidating England's hold on Ireland via settling / "planting". The settlements' older names were Cooletoodera and Aghatrasna respectively.

Calthrop

Established Member
The River Blackwater (one of several of that name in Ireland) rises in the parish of Brosna. A considerable way downstream, it flows by Fermoy, Co. Cork.

Calthrop

Established Member
Heald Green in Greater Manchester also has a church named Christ Church.
Scrape, scrape, barrel-wise: the snooker champion Alex "Hurricane" Higgins lived for a time in Heald Green. G.K. Chesterton wrote a (semi-)comic poem about another -- fictional -- Higgins, a "creedless Puritan". Chesterton died, in 1936 -- and is buried -- at Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
One of my fairly frequent "saviors" in this game is the late humorist Paul Jennings; much of whose stuff I love. He got endless fun from playing around in various ways with British place-names -- in which games of his, Babbacombe (among many others) featured. I like his supposed "old and wise saying" involving the names of: what is now a part of the London Borough of Bexley -- Erith -- and a Northumbrian town. Thus, "Man erith, woman morpeth": it somehow sounds meaningful and profound.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Noting what you say above, the two most important words in Welsh that I made sure I knew the meaning of were Dynion and Merched....can you guess which particular public buildings are signed as such?

Back to quiz matters...

Plumstead in Kent was also once administered by the ancient Hundred of Little and Lessness.

Calthrop

Established Member
Noting what you say above, the two most important words in Welsh that I made sure I knew the meaning of were Dynion and Merched....can you guess which particular public buildings are signed as such?
Concerning loos -- "Gentlemen" and "Ladies" respectively, I believe.

Long ago in North Wales, I kept seeing signpost-like devices which read (at least approx. -- spelling from memory) Llwybr Cyhoeddus. Found self wondering about this village to which -- rather after the fashion of Rome -- everything seemed to lead. Discovered finally, that it's the Welsh for "public footpath".
Back to quiz matters...

Plumstead in Kent was also once administered by the ancient Hundred of Little and Lessness.
Buried at Plumstead is William Bennet (1746 -- 1820), Anglican Bishop of the diocese of Cloyne in Ireland. Cloyne, Co. Cork -- some fifteen miles east of Cork city -- is, though a relatively obscure village, the seat of both a Church of Ireland (Anglican) diocese; and a Catholic one.

Calthrop

Established Member
Abernethy has a pub called the Crees Inn. Newtown Stewart, Dumfries and Galloway, has the very-similarly-named Cree Inn.