• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Too bad I did :roll: Wiki indicates that there are three villages named Piddington; however, the one you mean is quite obvious. Its local city is Oxford.

Ivo

Established Member
Aye...

Elgin is also a former city.

Go on then; enlighten us all if you so wish :) (But a History lesson at 0520? Hmm...)

Ivo

Established Member
Seen as I'm having a Pokémon week...

Gravesend also shares the first five letters of its name with a Pokémon [Forretress; Graveler] :lol:

I couldn't find anywhere whose name begins "Starm" though...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Since when was Forres a Pokemon....a new one on me(would it be like MacBeth)....joking, really!!

Huddersfield and Gravesend have had Iron Age settlements in their environs (Incidentally. Gravesend was sacked during the Hundred Years War).

Schnellzug

Established Member
Staying away from either Motorways, football or Pokemons, Huddersfield railway station was described by John Betjeman as 'the most splendid station facade in England'. John Betjeman was not, as people probably know, so fond of Slough. :cry:

Incidentally. Gravesend was sacked during the Hundred Years War
for a series of bad results, I suppose.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Bury is the current location, and seems set to be so for as long as anyone can foresee, of a steam locomotive that the most well equipped workshops in the country at York have been unable to get right.

Was that controversial? :oops:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
York and Oxford have large ring roads/by-passes that are formed of more than one than one road number.

Ivo

Established Member
@ Class172: I'm sure you've used that exact match before now...!

Lincoln also shares its name with a prominent US President.

Staying away from ... Pokemons

Ten lines, Schnellzug! Hup two, hup two! I must learn to pluralise the word Pokémon correctly

(No "s" at the end ;))

I can forgive not using é though, because it's easier and so common. Even the official website's domain name doesn't use it.

Last edited:

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Bath is also served by the A46

I don't think I used that exact link, it may have been a variation though.

Schnellzug

Established Member
Lincoln, going back to where was last got to, was shot by John Wilkes Boothe while watching the play Our American Cousin in the Ford Theatre, or I suppose I should probably say Theater, in washington DC. Ford is also the name of a popular brand of car, manufactured in (all together now) Dagenham, Essex. :p
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'm not going to change it, being proud of my contrived Dagenham link.

:cry:

Ivo

Established Member
For Class172:

Dated 2nd November

York and Runcorn were places that were attacked by the Danish Vikings.
Oxford also has a large ring-road (made up of more than one road number) around it.

;)

You also did it with Cambridge and the former A45 I believe! :D Not complaining of course; somewhat impressed in fact.

Anyhow, to a city that has more Georgian houses than my adopted home city, in spite of Bath's fame for such work: Liverpool.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The M57 also serves Skelmersdale.

You also did it with Cambridge and the former A45 I believe! :D Not complaining of course; somewhat impressed in fact.
One was Ipswich, the other was Cambridge.

Schnellzug

Established Member
In the early-20th century Victoria County History, Skelmersdale was described as "a particularly bare, unpleasing district" owing to its coal mines and brickworks.[5]
Another town that is regarded by some, although by no means all, as being of an unpleasing nature, although so far as I can ascertain it has never had any brickworks, is the fabled town of Weston-super-mare. :lol:

Ivo

Established Member
Another town that is regarded by some, although by no means all, as being of an unpleasing nature, although so far as I can ascertain it has never had any brickworks, is the fabled town of Weston-super-mare. :lol:

Er-hum <( Maybe I should actually do that Scott's Seaside Slanders thing after all! :lol: Although, I have to tell you that Weston is not definitely my least favourite town around here (although it is among seaside locations), because both Chippenham and Calne can put up a good fight!

Southend (ouch) also has a locality within its borough named Milton.

Last edited: