• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Olave St Clair Baden-Powell, Lady Baden-Powell GBE was born in Chesterfield on 22nd February 1889 and became the first Chief Guide for Britain in 1918. Olave died on 25th June 1977 at Birtley House, Bramley in Surrey.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wetherby is also home to the Wetherby Whaler fish and chip shop; in 2012 they bought and reopened under their name the original Harry Ramsden's fish and chip shop in Guiseley, West Yorkshire.

Nick_C

John Urpeth Rastrick was both in Morpeth. He was famous for, amongst other things, being one of the judges at the Rainhill trials.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Lydiate is the location of the Scotch Piper Inn, claimed to be the oldest pub in the historic county of Lancashire.
Across the Pennines, the oldest pub in Yorkshire is said to be the Bingley Arms in the West Yorkshire village of Bardsey.

DerekC

Established Member
Bardsey is on the Leeds Country Way, a 62 mile circular walk round Leeds. On the opposite side of Leeds the Way passes close to the village of Tong.

In the 1980s, hitchhiking, I was once highly alarmed by a lorry driver (who told me he kept a machete under his seat) who became rather annoyed that I had never heard of Briggs of Drighlington. "Everyone on the road's heard of Briggs of Drighlington!"

Anyway, Collingham also lies on the A58. No one ever threatened me about the location of businesses in Collingham.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Trans-Pennine Trail passes thorough Penistone on it's way from Southport to Hornsea. There is a branch of the Trail from Penistone to Kirkburton in West Yorkshire.