• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
There are two Grade II listed buildings in Hotherstall; they consist of a pair of gate piers and a house. Another Grade II listed house in Lancashire is Huntroyde Hall, which is in the civil parish of Simonstone in the Borough of Ribble Valley.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Hazel Grove is the southern terminus for the Stagecoach Manchester 192 bus service, which runs along the A6 to Manchester via Stockport and Ardwick.

Calthrop

Established Member
Everton also has a church that is dedicated to St John Chrysostom.

Posting as someone with a total lack of interest in / knowledge about sport in any way or shape -- from Googling, I get the impression that (churches and dedication thereof, apart): the only feature of any kind, of Everton, is its football side. Use of Google gives me -- rightly or wrongly -- a similar feeling about Millwall (London Borough of Tower Hamlets).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Millwall is located on the the A1206, which begins in Limehouse and ends in Poplar.

Last edited:
Richard Spratly, a sea captain, was born in Poplar. He gave his name to the Spratly Islands in the South China Sea, the ownership of which is disputed by China and several of its neighbours. After a long career at sea, he died in Ealing in west London in 1870

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Squadron Leader Geoffrey Wellum DFC (1921 – 2018) was an RAF Fighter Pilot and author, best known for his participation in the Battle of Britain. He was born in Walthamstow and served in the RAF until 1961. In the mid-1980s he retired and moved to Mullion, Cornwall, where he wrote down his wartime memoirs. In 2002 these were published as First Light (and an excellent book it is, too!).

Nick_C

Mullion is home to the most southerly golf course in the UK. At the opposite extreme, the most northerly is in Whalsay, in the Shetland Isles

Calthrop

Established Member
Mullion is home to the most southerly golf course in the UK. At the opposite extreme, the most northerly is in Whalsay, in the Shetland Isles

Whalsay (settlement thereon -- population a little over a thousand) is the sixth-largest of the Shetland Isles. Sixth-largest of the Orkney ditto (with a much smaller population) is Rousay .

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The priory church of St Lawrence, Snaith contains a notable monument to Viscount Downe by Francis Chantrey, who was a prolific English Sculptor. Born in 1781, he died in London on 25th November 1841; he is buried in a tomb constructed by himself in the churchyard of his native village, Norton, then in Derbyshire but now in Sheffield.

Calthrop

Established Member
At a bit of a stretch: Hesketh Bank (Lancashire) also coincidentally shares (part of) its name, with that of a British motorcycle manufacturer.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Er... unless I'm going gaga, or "humour-challenged": this game is about settlements, not railway stations. Google will confirm, I think, that there is a community south-west of Preston called Hesketh Bank.
Sorry .... my mistake!!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Buckie Thistle FC (known as The Jags) currently play in Scotland's Highland Football League and are based at Victoria park, Buckie. One of their opponents are Deveronvale FC, who play at the Princess Royal Park, Banff, Aberdeenshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
Sorry .... my mistake!!
Buckie Thistle FC (known as The Jags) currently play in Scotland's Highland Football League and are based at Victoria park, Buckie. One of their opponents are Deveronvale FC, who play at the Princess Royal Park, Banff, Aberdeenshire.

Seeming new computer set-up which, Colonel Blimp that I am, I have trouble making sense of -- earlier quote: no worries, sport !

Later quote: Sudbury, Suffolk, also has a seemingly directly-derived Canadian namesake -- this one, in Ontario.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Wokingham means 'Wocca's people's home'; Wocca was apparently a Saxon chieftain who may also have owned lands at Wokefield in Berkshire and Woking in Surrey.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The village of Grazeley Green (also known as Grazeley) has never had a village shop or post office. In the early 20th century, letters were received via Reading with collection boxes outside the church and outside Grazeley Court farm. Money orders could be sent from the nearest office in the village of Three Mile Cross and the nearest Telegraph Office was at the village of Spencers Wood.

Calthrop

Established Member
Purely coincidentally, no doubt; but Sixmilecross, Co. Tyrone, has a rather associative name.