• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Calthrop

Established Member
@John Griffiths -- with our thinking along similar lines, as preceding; I feel that I should cede place to you: the correct name for the stuff is Worcestershire -- not Worcester -- sauce; which you made clear, and I didn't.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Worcester is famous, among other things, for Lea & Perrins' Worcestershire Sauce. A similar condiment, Henderson's Yorkshire Relish, is manufactured in Sheffield.

Great minds...

Re things above: you've struck yours out -- so I suppose to avoid getting in a mess, we should go on from my "Branston" (I still think yours is better).

Calthrop

Established Member
Retford is one of many places which get a mention in Bill Bryson's writings about his travels in Britain. Another such, is Virginia Water (Surrey).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Sir Bruce Forsyth lived in Virginia Water until his death in 2017. He was born on Victoria Road in Edmonton (then part of Middlesex) on 22nd February 1928; following the outbreak of the Second World War, he was briefly evacuated to Clacton-on-Sea, but was allowed by his parents to return to London as a result of his feeling homesick.

Calthrop

Established Member
Sir Bruce Forsyth lived in Virginia Water until his death in 2017. He was born on Victoria Road in Edmonton (then part of Middlesex) on 22nd February 1928; following the outbreak of the Second World War, he was briefly evacuated to Clacton-on-Sea, but was allowed by his parents to return to London as a result of his feeling homesick.

Clacton has been the site of a prominent Butlin's Holiday Camp: there has been another (nowadays, defunct in that role) at Mosney, County Meath.

(Sir B. has always struck me as an annoying, but basically harmless, idiot -- would not want to be so nasty as to wish that his decision as above, had resulted in WWII German aerial assault causing his career never to have happened.)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Mosney was for a number of years the site for the national finals of the Community Games. These were set up in 1967 as a way to deal with the problems of the lack of leisure-time activities for young people, and the finals were held at the John F Kennedy Stadium in Santry, on the north side of Dublin.

Trinity College Library, a 'copyright library', has a depositary at Santry. Another copyright library with a depositary remote from its main base is the British Libray, which has an outstation at Thorp Arch, West Yorkshire (though it is dubbed Boston Spa).

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Kettlewell lies on the Dales Way long-distance footpath, which runs from Ilkley, West Yorkshire to Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria.

Calthrop

Established Member
Bowness as above, was in former times called Bulness: reckoned derived from Old English bula = bull. and naess = headland: "headland where the bull grazes". Another settlement with a name involving Old English and a male animal, is Boarstall, Buckinghamshire: believed to originate from a gift of the land there, from a king to a retainer of his; as a reward for his killing a wild boar which had been a local pest / menace. The recipient built on that land, a house which he called "Boar-Stall" -- OE equivalent of Boar House.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ecclesiastically, Boarstall was originally a chapel of ease for the nearby village and civil parish of Oakley in Buckinghamshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ecclesiastically, Boarstall was originally a chapel of ease for the nearby village and civil parish of Oakley in Buckinghamshire.

Oakley was one of the places involved in the doings consequent on the 1963 "Great Train Robbery". Another such was Ledburn, Buckinghamshire.

(Have just Googled "chapel of ease" -- interesting to learn the meaning. Very educational, this game -- I'm basically ignorant about "church-type stuff"; you and @Xenophon PCDGS are definitely our experts thereon !)

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
During the 19th and 20th century, the hamlet of Ledburn was owned by Baron Mayer de Rotheschild and, by inheritance, became part of the Earl of Roseberry's Mentmore estate. The agricultural land in the village, having passed out of the Rothschild's ownership in the 20th century, is now back in the family's ownership, and is part of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild's Ascott Estate. Ascott is a hamlet and country house in the parish of Wing, Buckinghamshire; it lies completely within the boundary of the Ascott Estate and is home to many of the estate and house staff.

{I wouldn't call myself an expert in matters ecclesiastical, but I do know where to find things!}

Calthrop

Established Member
...part of Sir Evelyn de Rothschild's Ascott Estate. Ascott is a hamlet and country house in the parish of Wing, Buckinghamshire; it lies completely within the boundary of the Ascott Estate and is home to many of the estate and house staff.

The Wiki entry on the above Ascott warns, "not to be confused with..." [a few other Ascotts or Ascots in England]. One of those listed thus, is Ascott (Warwickshire), some five miles south-east of Shipston-on-Stour.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The hamlet of Ascott is included in the village and civil parish of Whichford, which includes the Church of England Parish Church of St Michael. The Church's West tower has a ring of eight bells, one of which (known as the sixth) was cast by William Bagley of Chacombe, Warwickshire in 1695

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
You are a better man than I, Gunga Din .... my researches gave up after only being able to trace Chacombe in Northamptonshire..... :oops:

Actually, you do have the right one ... my source for the source of the bells gives Chacombe as being in Warwickshire, but on further research it is, indeed, in Northamptonshire!

Calthrop

Established Member
Re Chacombe: the politician Norman St. John-Stevas died there in 2012, aged 82. For a couple of decades, he was MP for the constituency of Chelmsford.

Calthrop

Established Member
The snooker champion Alex Higgins lived for a while in Heald Green; he was born, and died, in Belfast.

DerekC

Established Member
The Henry Grace Dieu, the largest ship of the era, was built in Southampton and launched in 1418. The remains of the ship still lie at the bottom of the River Hamble near Bursledon, close to those of her contemporary Holigost.

johnnychips

Established Member
Bursledon used to have an - excellent - pub called ‘The White Hart’ when I was a student in Southampton. It has now changed to “Ye Olde White Hart”. Similarly, Mottram-in-Longdendale used to have a pub called “The White Hart” but unfortunately it has now closed.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Aberystwyth is also the venue of a cricket match involving the Forty Club Wales and the local club's players.