• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Carnish on the Isle of Lewis also has a whisky distillery, with a noted single malt product.

Internet weirdness: indication got from Googling, that there does exist a Wiki entry about "Carnish -- neighbourhood in Scotland" -- but I found it impossible to access it; other directions repeatedly taken, including being pointed toward theological discourses in Latin, about the frailty of the flesh (carnis) :s ...

Resorting to an item from an article which I did manage to find: which mentions that Carnish, Lewis; should not be confused with Cladach Chairinis, North Uist.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that you may be adding the names of two different places together as one.

If so, I'll take the first part and say that Carinish contains the modern Carinish Inn, once a landmark hotel in North Uist, which in 2008 was sold to the Free Church of Scotland to be transformed into a church. A more recent new church was created in Montrose in November 2015.

A suspension bridge designed by Capt Samuel Brown RN over the South Esk in Montrose collapsed in 1830, killing 3; it had been carrying large numbers of spectators of a regatta in the river below. Rebuilt, in collapsed again in 1838, when high winds caused violent oscillation. Brown came to fame, though, for building the first vehicle-carrying suspension bridge in Europe, the Union Chain Bridge across the River Tweed. Opened in 1820, and still standing (although temporarily closed to vehicles to allow restoration works), it runs from Fishwick, Berwickshire, Scotland to Horncliffe, Northumberland, England.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Borders Buses Route 67 provides a number of services a day each way between Galashiels and Berwick-upon-Tweed via Cornhill-on-Tweed and Horncliffe.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
In 1411, during the Hundred Years' War against France, King Henry V had all the alien priories, including Avebury, dissolved. It's property was granted to Fotheringhay College in Northamptonshire, which held the Manor of Avebury until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th Century.

Calthrop

Established Member
I think that you may be adding the names of two different places together as one.

If so, I'll take the first part and say that Carinish contains the modern Carinish Inn, once a landmark hotel in North Uist...
I confess that I got confused, though not precisely as surmised above. I now see that there are in North Uist, Cladach Chairinis; and a few miles west of it, Carinis (name as rendered by the map I consulted), which I'd failed to notice when I made my post, and which I take it, is indeed the place with the inn. I was flummoxed at time of posting, by the "searching" oddity which I've described; and by the consulted Michelin Britain Road Atlas's showing the Western Isles in a small and hard-to-make-out format (only 7 miles to the inch) -- those are my excuses, anyway...
Whitehall in the City of Westminster was also a place where a monarch was executed: Mary, Queen of Scots at Fotheringhay; her grandson Charles I at Whitehall.
Plymouth also has a settlement in a British Dominion, named after it, with the prefix of "New": New Plymouth, New Zealand; and New Westminster, Canada (very near Vancouver).

johnnychips

Established Member
Plymouth Hoe, a well-known landmark in the city, is where Sir Francis Drake was playing bowls when he heard of the Spanish Armada. Chedgrave, in Norfolk, also has a bowling green.

Calthrop

Established Member
(Chedgrave’s boundary is literally 100m from Loddon’s navigable staithe). Anyway, Filby is a notable bird watchers’ spot, as is Fairburn in Yorkshire.
Seems that I'm less of a Broads expert than I'd fondly imagined -- sorry !

Whaley Bridge also has a church that is dedicated to St James
Edwina Currie, renowned or notorious (depending on your point of view) politician / media personality, lives in Whaley Bridge. She was born in Liverpool.

Springs Branch

Established Member
The blue plaque scheme - installed as permanent historical markers to commemorate a link between the location and a famous person, event or former building on the site - is now administered by English Heritage and is heavily focussed on the Greater London area.

For a time at the end of the 20th Century, "official" blue plaques were installed by English Heritage in several other historical locations outside London, including Liverpool and Portsmouth.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The Dreamland Amusement Park, Margate was featured in "The Jolly Boys' Outing" extended episode of the television series "Only Fools and Horses". The original "Nelson Mandela House" in the series' titles was Harlech Tower, Park Road East, Acton.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Dreamland Amusement Park, Margate was featured in "The Jolly Boys' Outing" extended episode of the television series "Only Fools and Horses". The original "Nelson Mandela House" in the series' titles was Harlech Tower, Park Road East, Acton.

The above-bolded settlement's name comes from the Anglo-Saxon signifying "farm among oak trees" (ac = oak, tun = farm). Another place with an oak-related name, is (London)derry. Its shorter version, "Derry", is from the Irish doire = oak grove.

Shirt manufacture was an important Derry industry. The Co-operative Wholesale Society had a shirt factory at Pelaw, Tyne and Wear, one of a number of CWS undertakings there.

Calthrop

Established Member
Shirt manufacture was an important Derry industry. The Co-operative Wholesale Society had a shirt factory at Pelaw, Tyne and Wear, one of a number of CWS undertakings there.

Another commodity formerly manufactured at the "above-bolded" was -- Wiki tells us -- "the world-famous 'Pelaw' shoe polish" (hitherto unknown to me, for one). The same activity takes place at Alfreton, Derbyshire; where "Cherry Blossom" shoe polish is made.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The local football club is Alfreton Town, who play in the National league North, the sixth tier of English football. In the same league are Curzon Ashton FC, who play at Tameside Stadium in Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester.

Calthrop

Established Member
Fazeley, near Tamworth (Staffordshire) is also a meeting-point of canals -- the Birmingham & Fazeley, and the Coventry.