• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Settlement Association

Calthrop

Established Member
Sybil Leek (1917 -- 82), self-proclaimed modern witch: was born near Stoke-on-Trent. She lived later in life for some time in Burley, Hampshire (six miles north of Christchurch), before moving to the USA. This lady had an alleged-by-her, "familiar": if I recall correctly, a jackdaw which she called Mr. Hotfoot Jackson -- something which I've always found rather comically endearing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Bagworth, Leicestershire -- a little way south of Coalville -- also has a Church of the Holy Rood.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ratcliffe Culey in Leicestershire also lies on the line of the River Sense.
A rather convoluted one -- associations in line with my partiality for Richard III (who strikes me, from general info re these matters, as a more appealing character than that miserable, mean so-and-so Henry VII) -- and Ratcliffe Culey does happen to be only a few miles from Bosworth ! Reference to the scurrilous rhyme from that time, liked by enemies of Richard III : The Cat, the Rat, and Lovell our Dog / Rule all England under a Hog. The various animals: "Hog" = Richard, with his Silver Boar badge; Cat / Rat / Dog = three of his trusted councillors and aides -- Sir William Catesby, Sir Richard Ratcliffe, and Lord Lovell. Ratcliffe's name aligns with the bolded Leicestershire village (in fact, however, the guy actually came from "up North"); Catesby's, with Upper Catesby (and neighbouring Lower Catesby) not all that far away, in Northamptonshire (a couple of miles south-west of Daventry). Have to admit that Sir William was lord not of these Catesbys; but of Ashby St. Ledgars, on the opposite side of Daventry.

DerekC

Established Member
Catesby is the site of what is claimed to be the most advanced aerodynamic test facility in the world for complete motor vehicles. It is located in the disused Catesby Tunnel (sorry) and is owned by Totalsim, a company expert in computational fluid dynamics that also runs an automotive test centre at Silverstone, Northamptonshire.

Calthrop

Established Member
Litton Cheney, Dorset -- between Dorchester and Bridport -- also has a pub called the White Horse.

Calthrop

Established Member
Wellington, Somerset: has likewise an association with a soldiering chap from the nobility; and a related something in the -- broad sense -- "attire" department. With Cardigan, it's James Thomas Brudenell, Earl thereof, re the Crimean War; in which the famed Light Brigade, which he commanded: had as part of their uniform, close-fitting, knitted jackets -- hence the "cardigan". For Wellington: Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of (that) Wellington, highly prominent Napoleonic Wars figure, and statesman -- a variety of boot, first devised by him and ordered to his wishes; which over the decades, "mutated" into the anti-wet-conditions footwear which we know today.

Calthrop

Established Member
Quoting the invaluable Wiki: "Tiverton's name is conjectured to derive from Twy-ford-ton or Twyverton, meaning "the town on two fords"; and was historically referred to as 'Twyford'." The Berkshire settlement of that exact (and present-day) name, Twyford: is reckoned for certain, to have the above-recounted derivation.

Calthrop

Established Member
Heavy reliance on my part, I know, on Wikipedia; still -- associating here, with a settlement which I've used in the game in the past, in this general connection... found, Googling Swallowfield: Wiki gives a list of five people allegedly of some renown, connected with the place: I for one, had never before heard of any of them. Wiki remarks about Ickenham, London Borough of Hillingdon: that it is a locality where "no major historical events have ever taken place". Looked up Ickenham afresh, in the hope that -- along these general lines -- any supposedly celebrated people with links thereto, would be ones unknown to me. Satisfyingly, three were listed: all totally out of my previous ken.

Calthrop

Established Member
Harmondsworth can boast its Great Barn, constructed 1425 -- 27: Britain's largest barn, and England's largest extant timber-framed building. Another very large such building, highly regarded by scholars thereof: is the medieval tithe barn at Great Coxwell, Oxfordshire -- near Faringdon.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ashington, Northumberland, is also twinned with a settlement in the German State of Nordrhein-Westfalen. Wrexham's "twin" is Iserlohn; Ashington's, Remscheid.

Calthrop

Established Member
Scots Gap, Northumberland, lies some three miles west of Hartburn on the B6343 road (and has some railway significance, which is of course by the way here).

Calthrop

Established Member
My tending-towards "go-to" -- town-twinnings or equivalent: Lerwick has a Friendship Agreement with Maloy in Norway. Twinned with another Norwegian town (the British settlement may seem curiously far south in this connection) is Letchworth, Hertfordshire -- its "twin" being Kristiansand.

Calthrop

Established Member
Chowley in Cheshire West & Chester was also once under the jurisdiction of the Great Boughton Poor Law Union.
Seemingly, a thinly-populated region. In the 2011 census, the adjoining civil parishes of Chowley, Golborne David, and Handley, clocked up together, a "standing-room-only" population of 253.

Calthrop

Established Member
Aldford in Cheshire West & Chester was also once administered by the Hundred of Broxton

Anything in Cheshire West & Chester and in Cheshire East sees me on my home patch... :lol:
In American tough-guy and poker-playing parlance, "I'll see your West / East Cheshire etc., and raise you ... :E" -- my parents came from Chester and closely-adjacent regions; various childhood / adolescence holidays of mine spent there, many happy memories thereof...

Harpenden, Hertfordshire, also has a church dedicated to St. John.

Last edited: