• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn (rail) Tunnel Closure September/October 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I had a First Leeds Gemini from Newport this morning. Have to say that although GWR have probably advised passengers not to go overboard with luggage, there was quite a few disagreements between passengers as some were taking up two whole seats full of luggage. When station staff were asking them to move them, they asked where they were supposed to store their lugagge. Quite intense really.

Also, what's this about GWR operating to Swansea? The SWML goes right past my house and I haven't seen any!

Here's the train today. runs down ECS and nothing in evening

www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C49021/2016/09/19/advanced
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Was 150233 today, then works 0940 Cardiff Cen to Bristol TM via Gloucester.
More details of working earlier in the thread

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Why does it go to Swansea?

I saw 150233 departing Bristol Parkway on the 0940 Cardiff earlier today. Did this unit work from Swansea? Only ECS working seems to be to Swansea.

20th September:
Just seen 150261 on 0758 Swansea to Cardiff. Seems so strange seeing a GWR/FGW 150 going past my house!

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Why does it go to Swansea?

I saw 150233 departing Bristol Parkway on the 0940 Cardiff earlier today. Did this unit work from Swansea? Only ECS working seems to be to Swansea.

20th September:
Just seen 150261 on 0758 Swansea to Cardiff. Seems so strange seeing a GWR/FGW 150 going past my house!

I assume it goes to Swansea to cover up for a commuters HST which is cancelled. You saw my RTT schedule, shunts out at Cardiff and back in for 0940.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
GWR 0758 Swansea to Cardiff Cen reported on another Forum to be daily overcrowded

I've been watching this service go past my house on an almost daily service and whilst certainly busy, I wouldn't say it was overcrowded.

Besides, there's a 175 to Manchester running minutes in front.

alb1

I've been watching this service go past my house on an almost daily service and whilst certainly busy, I wouldn't say it was overcrowded.

Besides, there's a 175 to Manchester running minutes in front.

I'd agree with this entirely (said while sitting on it waiting to depart Swansea).

It generally depends which class is being used on a given day, but I'd describe it as full rather than overcrowded. There always seem to be a couple of seats left for those who wish to use them, but busy enough that a decent group choose to stand. I've also used the 175 just preceding it, which is noticeably busier than usual. Presumably the extra load is those who prefer a slight more spacious journey.

I've been far more affected by the cancellation of the 1827(ish!) ex Paddington, which was my ride home.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I'd agree with this entirely (said while sitting on it waiting to depart Swansea).

It generally depends which class is being used on a given day, but I'd describe it as full rather than overcrowded. There always seem to be a couple of seats left for those who wish to use them, but busy enough that a decent group choose to stand. I've also used the 175 just preceding it, which is noticeably busier than usual. Presumably the extra load is those who prefer a slight more spacious journey.

I've been far more affected by the cancellation of the 1827(ish!) ex Paddington, which was my ride home.

And you've just gone past my house as we speak! 150265 today. Seemed not even half full!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I think that looking back I picked up that it was overcrowded on a regular basis, but to correct it, referred to one day only following a cancellation.

SWT_USER

I need to travel to Cardiff next Friday on one of the off peak trains either side of the restrictions out of Paddington - unfortunately I can't commit to a particular train. I assume in view of the reduced frequency the trains are busier than usual - is there always an unreserved coach on GWR HST's and if so which is it?

D1009

Established Member
I need to travel to Cardiff next Friday on one of the off peak trains either side of the restrictions out of Paddington - unfortunately I can't commit to a particular train. I assume in view of the reduced frequency the trains are busier than usual - is there always an unreserved coach on GWR HST's and if so which is it?
Because the trains are not serving Bristol Parkway, and the diversions are putting some people off travelling, the trains don't appear to be as busy as you may expect. Unless they've changed it recently, coach F is always unreserved, and if it's a set with a miniature buffet, the standard portion of coach K also.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
GWR diversions seriously delayed this morning due person struck by train at Newnham Tunnel (North of Lydney). Train Additional GWR 1F02 0629 Cardiff Cen to Bristol TM, 158958. Line re-opened remarkably quickly following such an incident, approx hour and half. Regular ATW and XC services affected also. Thoughts with driver.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

158958 later ran ECS from Bristol to Exeter TMD, where there are underframe deep cleaning facilities available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.