• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Diesel Gala 2024 16th-19th May

Established Member
I was there yesterday and generally it was pretty good although being busy but not super packed helped, I certainly didn't see any thickhit behaviour personally

That’s good to hear.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I assume it wouldn't be BTP that would have attended?

LUYMun

Normally the same ones that sag CDL isn't needed and window hanging should be allowed because they "know what they're doing".
I heavily doubt people who have differing views on CDL and window hanging are the ones who get violent over someone getting in the way of their photos.

HOOVER29

Did Thursday & today (Saturday)
Thursday was a nice easy day
Today was a tad crowded & managed just a single seat all day.
Not to worry though.
Only two I didn’t achieve that I wanted to were the class 69 & class 59.

The class 46 was particularly enjoyable as well as the two class 50’s 50007 & 50035.
The clayton & class 14 were also well appreciated

It’s not all about the big loud engines!

Talking of appreciation a big thankyou goes to ALL the staff at the SVR, both full time & volunteers without which we wouldn’t be able to enjoy.

RetroCrowe

As much as I hate having to again be delivering some more negative news, but I feel it's relevant to mention that one of the maroon Mk1s has had a window smashed on one of the doors this evening - I'm not 100% sure about what has caused the smash

HOOVER29

As much as I hate having to again be delivering some more negative news, but I feel it's relevant to mention that one of the maroon Mk1s has had a window smashed on one of the doors this evening - I'm not 100% sure about what has caused the smash
Two instances that did leave a sour taste were
1/ Being asked why we bothered taking photos, just stop wasting your time & being a nuisance & get them on line instead

2/ Getting off at Hampton Loade someone accidentally brushed against a middle aged chap as they walked by him in the corridor causing him to clonk himself one against the window.
He shouted if someone else bangs into me I’ll put one in their f*****g mouth
Now said chap was politely told to calm down & enjoy himself but if he’d not been so pig headed in the first place & just moved to the seating area it wouldn’t have happened but no, he let everyone (around 50 people) struggle past him.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its a shame there were some incidents, luckily i didn't experience any myself on friday. My only disappointment was i didn't get to see the 69 up close.

Falcon1200

Established Member
I'm glad now I was there on Thursday! Maybe fewer unusual engines, but the only anti-social behaviour I saw was people blocking the footbridge at Bewdley to take photos (despite the signs telling us not to obstruct the bridge), but not the end of the world.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was there yesterday and had a really good day out. My plan was to leave Kidderminster on the first train i could and spend the day at the Bridgnorth end. I also tired my best to avoid the 50's and Westerns which tend to attract the "top boys" and are also strange western region things that we didnt see often in the North East!

My plan worked as the numbers of social inadequates was limited and there were few "top boys" to be seen. There were a number of youth teamers and kiddes there and some of their antics made me embarrassed for them. Honestly.

I had a lovely lunch break at Erdington station where the selection of homemade cakes was impressive. I covered all of the things i wanted to do and had seats on almost all trains. I will do that again if i go on a Saturday as the Kidderminster end can be a total zoo. The wibbling over the visiting locomotives on the Bewdley circle is incredibly over the top.

I didn't see any trouble beyond the usual idiot who refuse to move away from a window to let people past although I DID see a police car screech up to Bridgnorth with blue lights flashing. Perhaps someone had too much to drink and was causing a scene.

Despite me moaning about fellow enthusiasts the galas they put on at the SVR are top notch and they obviously have good relations with the big railway to get such good numbers of visiting locomotives. It must take some work and stress to put them together and then run them as well as they do. Well done and i hope the idiots don't get it stopped or spoiled !
Sadly the behaviour at these events seems to be getting steadily worse, as with so many areas of life post Covid. It’s a pity that those who supposedly share a common interest can’t play nicely.

I was there yesterday and generally it was pretty good although being busy but not super packed helped, I certainly didn't see any thickhit behaviour personally
Friday was a nicely busy but good day. Behaviour was good, few idiots and most of the youth team prospects were at school! I covered the visiting locos on the Friday when they were quieter and had a really good day out.

PS I am not sure behaviour has got worse. I haven't seen fights but I have seen people completely lose the plot over photographs before. Some people just cant cope with being in company frankly!

( and i do get annoyed when someone walks in front of my picture - but there is no need to call them a chuffing funt for doing so - it is public gala where we all want to see what is going on. Just chill out and enjoy the day!)

Chriso

I went on Friday and had an amazing day. Top marks to the SVR and even everything on the main line worked to get me there and back on time

LUYMun

From what I’m told the guard accidentally smashed it when shutting the windows and locking the doors.

Sheldonian

From what I’m told the guard accidentally smashed it when shutting the windows and locking the doors.
Yes.. great day on saturday.
Well done SVR. Ten out of ten.
Cant think of any other railway that does it better.
Shame about the moronic behaviour of a very small minority, but that isnt exclusive to railways.

satisnek

Sorry, but I didn't enjoy this as much as previous events. Too many locos, too many post-1994 liveries, too many air-conditioned coaches, too many tickers, too many wannabe photographers, too many shouting muppets, too many swaggering, self-assured egotists, the beerex ran too early and the bizarre but admittedly resilient timetable seemed to lapse into the Kidderminster to Bewdley Show at certain times of the day.

With all the above I'm not surprised that there were outbreaks of violence. I was at Hampton Loade on Saturday afternoon waiting for the 1515 departure from Bridgnorth (33+73) when we were informed that it had been delayed owing to an incident to which the police had been called. And when the train did eventually turn up I gave it a miss because it was stupidly overloaded.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Sorry, but I didn't enjoy this as much as previous events. Too many locos, too many post-1994 liveries, too many air-conditioned coaches, too many tickers, too many wannabe photographers, too many shouting muppets, too many swaggering, self-assured egotists, the beerex ran too early and the bizarre but admittedly resilient timetable seemed to lapse into the Kidderminster to Bewdley Show at certain times of the day.
The October diesel event, which runs without the modern traction and more dependent on the home fleet is possibly more up your street then than the May event which is supported by the freight companies.

There are clearly different preferences for diesel events and catering for people who don't want the more modern angle and those who do is always going to lead to compromises.

There were only six air conditioned coaches in use.

HOOVER29

With all the above I'm not surprised that there were outbreaks of violence. I was at Hampton Loade on Saturday afternoon waiting for the 1515 departure from Bridgnorth (33+73) when we were informed that it had been delayed owing to an incident to which the police had been called. And when the train did eventually turn up I gave it a miss because it was stupidly overloaded.
Was on the 73/33 combo crush on Saturday
My last working from Highley to Kidderminster
Was in the parcels/guards section
A tad wedged & uncomfortable it was
Apparently someone fell & cut their leg at Arley exiting the service

norbitonflyer

Established Member
And three of those were the HST. The rest were in the airbraked set, which also included at least two with natural ventilation.

I was there on Saturday afternoon, with my main intention being haulage by the modern traction (to complete the list - now had all main line loco classes in service or active preservation, having ticked off classes 14, 17, 20, 35, 42, 44, 56, 59, 60, 66, 70, and 88 in the last twelve months) but had 20s, 37263, and both 52s to give some variety. (And realised that 37263 was, as D6963, the first loco I ever "cabbed", over 50 years ago!) Crowded but good-natured on the trains and stations I was on - people happy to squeeze past each other in crowded corridors, understanding that some people like to look out of open windows.

There were a few people sticking more of their anatomies out of the windows than was either necessary or advisable, and some moronic arm waving, which caused a problem at Northwood Halt where all the extra arms made it difficult to make out the guard's own hand signals to the driver to stop at the right place to let two passengers alight.

The SVR staff seem to take a light touch with the rowdier elements, but there are warnings that ORR may insist on window bars if windowhanging leads to a tragedy - that said, vegetation seems to be kept further back than on National Rail (was the SVR originally double track?) and the chance of being hit by a passing train is minimal on a single track line. Maybe a suitable sanction would be to confiscate the perpetrator's wristband and make them leave the train, preferably at somewhere like Northwood or Country Park Halt!

Bewdley was particularly crowded but still good natured. With the airbraked set terminating in platform 1 but all departures going from the island platform, everyone had to cross the bridge to either continue towards Arley and beyond, or return to Kidderminster. Not helped by only two or three carriages actually being on the platform - the first two vehicles were the loco (two when it was the Railadvanture pair) and the barrier vehicle which was necessitated by the class 70 not being able to couple to a gangwayed vehicle. (Possibly the barrier vehicle could have remained coupled to the 70 rather than to the rake when other locos were operating the airbraked set?) And despite notices asking people not to, there were people stopping on the bridge to chat.

In fact, it was possible for me to leave the train, visit the shop, but a souvenir and something to eat, and still find tghere was a queue to cross the bridge!

The day actually got off to a bad start, as when I got to Bewdley I found the road bridge across the Severn was closed to eastbound traffic (the station is on the east bank!) and there was no diversion signposted, so I had to go to Highley, where the station car park was full and the Country Park had notices saying the gates would be locked at 6pm (although I later noticed they were still open at 7:30pm!), so I had to park in the village - a long walk back up the hill at the end of the day!

Last edited:

On Moderation
If you don't like it, don't go. It's not like it wasn't advertised in advance what was running, and none of your rant about photographers/muppets/egotists is new behaviour.
The October diesel event, which runs without the modern traction and more dependent on the home fleet is possibly more up your street then than the May event which is supported by the freight companies.

There are clearly different preferences for diesel events and catering for people who don't want the more modern angle and those who do is always going to lead to compromises.

I'd debate the six aircons! My only really gripe about the gala - which was well organised - was with the air brake set. The two aircon TSOs had no aircon which made them pretty rancid. This isn't the first time that the SVR has been let down by their stock provider. If they pay for hiring that set then that is really not good enough from LSL.

Also disappointing that the entirety of the BSO seemed to be reserved for staff, which isn't great when the vehicle at the other end was of necessity not available for passenger use either - so that was 30 seats lost and less standing space. On the flip side the refurbishment of the Mark 2A TSO in that set is really rather nice.

kje7812

The SVR staff seem to take a light touch with the rowdier elements, but there are warnings that ORR may insist on window bars if windowhanging leads to a tragedy - that said, vegetation seems to be kept further back than on National Rail (was the SVR originally double track?) and the chance of being hit by a passing train is minimal on a single track line. Maybe a suitable sanction would be to confiscate the perpetrator's wristband and make them leave the train, preferably at somewhere like Northwood or Country Park Halt!

Bewdley was particularly crowded but still good natured. With the airbraked set terminating in platform 1 but all departures going from the island platform, everyone had to cross the bridge to either continue towards Arley and beyond, or return to Kidderminster. Not helped by only two or three carriages actually being on the platform - the first two vehicles were the loco (two when it was the Railadvanture pair) and the barrier vehicle which was necessitated by the class 70 not being able to couple to a gangwayed vehicle. (Possibly the barrier vehicle could have remained coupled to the 70 rather than to the rake when other locos were operating the airbraked set?) And despite notices asking people not to, there were people stopping on the bridge to chat.
Never double track, though most of the original structures (1860s) were built wide enough for doubletrack. North of Bewdley has a wide trackbed for a bit due to the former line to Tenbury Well, and there's extra space around Foley Park from the old sidings there.
The barrier vehicle was removed today after the 70 had finished its runs which mean it was a lot easier at Bewdley for the later runs.
The reports of the fight at Bridgnorth and the fall at Kidderminster have embellished details somewhat.

Today things were somewhat delayed after the 46 decided to fail just as it was arriving into Bewdley. The delay was up to 45 mins but the last train was 10 mins so not too bad. We've also had very good weather, much better than forecasted for the four days.

Having being in charge of shutting windows on stock at the end of the day, if was a MK 2a in my case I shut the window up, not slammed, and it decided enough of this window thing and just cracked and kept cracking so it can happen accidentally

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Never double track, though most of the original structures (1860s) were built wide enough for doubletrack.
That explains the very generous clearances, especially the tunnel and bridges, and consequently why windowhangers get away with antics that could have fatal consequences elsewhere. The event programme does warn of the possible consequences of such behaviour, but I saw no staff tackling the individuals indulging in such activity even when, as I mentioned above, it interfered with the signalling between guard and driver.

HST43257

Established Member
I did Friday and Saturday.

After a 4am wakeup and a 3 hour drive I just made the first train off Kidderminster. Friday was pleasantly busy with minimal incidents. Great final run with 37409 into Kidderminster. An overnight stay in a very poor (but suitably cheap) M5 Travelodge did the job despite complications, and then Saturday brought the rowdy crowds. I don’t really have a license to say this is a 17yo myself, but I wouldn’t dare stoop to some of the low levels of the youths that day. Always fun being muscled away from a chance to board the ram packed FL 59 but there we go.

I wasn’t a fan of the timetable honestly. Too many long layovers. My preference would have been to take last year’s timetable but add 10 minutes at Bewdley for everything.

[QUOTE="norbitonflyer, post: 6774081, member:

[/QUOTE]
This to me was by far in a way the worse part of the gala, there must be a way either to allow people to stay on the set when it goes out and come back, because passengers are allowed on other top and tail workings and all the track involved is used by passenger trains all day,its not as if it goes into a siding or something and in my opinion having that many people rammed onto the footbridge at one time is easily the most dangerous thing I saw all the time I was there, the 1200 kiddy to Bewdley on the Saturday was the least fun I've had on a train in pres,way way over filled

norbitonflyer

Established Member
This to me was by far in a way the worse part of the gala, there must be a way either to allow people to stay on the set when it goes out and come back, because passengers are allowed on other top and tail workings and all the track involved is used by passenger trains all day,its not as if it goes into a siding or something and in my opinion having that many people rammed onto the footbridge at one time is easily the most dangerous thing I saw all the time I was there
I don't think this would have helped much, as most people at Bewdley (including me) seemed to either want to get an earlier train back to Bewdley, or carry on towards Bridgnorth.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Now said chap was politely told to calm down & enjoy himself but if he’d not been so pig headed in the first place & just moved to the seating area it wouldn’t have happened but no, he let everyone (around 50 people) struggle past him
i just dont get why people cant step into a compartment or away from the window for a few seconds to let people past. Also: take off your back pack if standing in a doorway or corridor. It makes your vastness less vast!
the bizarre but admittedly resilient timetable seemed to lapse into the Kidderminster to Bewdley Show at certain times of the day.
You have to get to the other end of the the line. No real problems there with choice of services. You have to plan properly on the Saturday. I have learnt that having got a bit exasperated with the Kidderminster end of the line on a Saturday
With all the above I'm not surprised that there were outbreaks of violence
the type of carriage led to violence? there were only 2/3 air con coaches on the Bewdley shuttle ( needed for the visiting locos?) and three in the HST set. Quite avoidable if that is an issue.
I was at Hampton Loade on Saturday afternoon waiting for the 1515 departure from Bridgnorth (33+73) when we were informed that it had been delayed owing to an incident to which the police had been called
Yet i was on that train and had a seat. Plenty of space to be had away from the first 2 coaches.
Always fun being muscled away from a chance to board the ram packed FL 59 but there we go.
I was on the later class 59 run and while coach one was rammed with wibblers i had a lovely seat in a half filled carriage near the back. You have to plan properly. It can be quite mad on those runs early in the day. Aim for the later one and enjoy a wider day. If possible do 2 days so you can cross of the spicy visiting loco when the crowds are thinner.

the 1200 kiddy to Bewdley on the Saturday was the least fun I've had on a train in pres,way way over filled
At the risk of labouring a point: spend the Saturday at the other end of the line. Very civilised. Avoid the Saturday morning trains on the Bewdley shuttle as they are rammed with people who seem to have lost thier minds!

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
i just dont get why people cant step into a compartment or away from the window for a few seconds to let people past.
I think people are afraid "their" window will get taken over,

there were only 2/3 air con coaches on the Bewdley shuttle ( needed for the visiting locos?)
They need to be air-braked. If they are also aircon they need an ETS-fitted loco (which most of the visitors were not, hence the need for the 37/4)

satisnek

Thanks for clarifying the difference between the two events - I look forward to attending the October one. It'll be interesting to see if the KWVR diesel gala is an 'edited highlights' version of the May SVR gala like it was last year. If so, that's another one I can potentially cross off the list in the future.
If you don't like it, don't go. It's not like it wasn't advertised in advance what was running, and none of your rant about photographers/muppets/egotists is new behaviour.
Thank you for your friendly and helpful response. Or something like that.
the type of carriage led to violence?
You've got me there. Good shot sir!
Yet i was on that train and had a seat. Plenty of space to be had away from the first 2 coaches.
Can't say I ever saw a Yeti on the train but being at Hampton Loade I was by nature at the rear, and all vestibules plus the guard's area were full.

xotGD

Established Member
It'll be interesting to see if the KWVR diesel gala is an 'edited highlights' version of the May SVR gala like it was last year. If so, that's another one I can potentially cross off the list in the future.
Well the 69 doesn't hold any appeal for me, but two 50s, two 37s and a Western do, so I'll be attending.

I can understand why they are getting a 69, and if that means that the other set of stock is a bit less busy, all well and good.

I didn’t go last year, as the idea of aircons at a diesel gala put me off.

LRV3004

I went on the Thursday and Sunday (returned on the Sunday mainly for the 59, 69 and 73 as they weren’t out on the Thursday).
Thursday was excellent - there were hardly any delays and everything ran smoothly. The moves I planned out didn’t involve any mad dashes from one train to another so it was all very relaxed which was good, particularly after what I believe happened last year when passengers transferring from one of the Westerns onto 60062 weren’t able to board and it was the 60s last working!
Pity about the rain but at least it wasn’t cold!!! Also had no difficulty in getting seats at any point during the day, despite there being a relatively healthy crowd in attendance.
Sunday was absolutely fantastic weather wise!! Set off with the aim of getting there for the 1200 off Kidderminster with the Rail Adventure power cars and got there much more comfortably than anticipated, and parked up no problem; plenty of spaces in the car park despite me arriving “late”! Had I got my foot down a bit I probably could have made the 1030 and had an extra run with the 70 but never mind!
Of course, D182 failed which then threw the timetable into disarray but the delays were nothing like last year when things started running late and got progressively worse!!! In order to make sure I didn’t miss what I was going for I had to endure a bit of a wait at Bewdley to “play it safe” (in hindsight I could have gone to Kidderminster and back), and a consequence of the failure meant I missed another trip behind 37263 but never mind!
I finished my day by doing 33108+73119 from Bewdley to Kidderminster and hopped straight across onto 69009. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to get a photograph of it and this was the only loco I rode behind and didn’t get a picture of! Seats on board were at a bit of a premium but I did manage to find some towards the back, which did me a favour at Bewdley when I crossed straight onto 20189+20142 and secured a compartment! Took the 20s back to Kidderminster before heading off very happy indeed! The only locos I didn’t manage to get a ride behind were D9551, D182 and 50007, but I didn’t need them so I wasn’t too bothered by this. My red pen saw action for 20007, 20048, 59206, 69009, 70005 and 73119.
My only “criticism”, if you can call it that, was the (seemingly) lack of information after D182 failed. However, the SVR replied to my comment on their Facebook page by saying that the person responsible for communicating information via social media was stuck on the following train at Arley and had no mobile signal!!!
Overall, I thought this was a fantastic gala, the obvious drawback being the sheer number of visiting locos, plus their availability, meaning I couldn’t do it all in one hit and had to go back but definitely worth it - the SVR have definitely pulled off another good show….well done to all involved!!!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was by nature at the rear, and all vestibules plus the guard's area were full.
You should have walked a bit further. There was only me and another chap in a compo. Loads of room!
Well the 69 doesn't hold any appeal for me,
If it is 60009 it is painted like a Western thing ( and looks pretty smart)
Overall, I thought this was a fantastic gala, the obvious drawback being the sheer number of visiting locos, plus their availability, meaning I couldn’t do it all in one hit and had to go back but definitely worth it
It is a fantastic event. They are very clever in making it hard to get everything in one day ;)

Despite my moans about spotters I really enjoy the SVR gala's. They put on a great show.

PS - my pictures of the gala are starting to go up on my flickr. All taken with my mobile this time as my camera was flat. I forgot to charge it before setting off!

Skymonster

Established Member
I didn’t go this year - I was on the Isle of Wight - but I did see SVR’s facebook post four days ago:

A friendly reminder Beer and trains go together incredibly well, don't they! For most people it causes no issues.

If, however, you're one of the minority whose standards of behaviour plummet after a few beers, please consider your actions. We do have security staff on board our trains this weekend, and will not tolerate abuse towards our staff, volunteers, or visitors.

We want everyone to have a great Spring Diesel Festival and anyone unable to follow these rules will be removed from the railway. Thank you for your cooperation.

I find it truly shocking that a preserved railway - any organisation actually - needs to say such things. I guess it is a very sad inditement of the age in which we now live. I’d like to have been at SVR but given the reports of occasional inappropriate behaviour and crowded trains I’m glad in a way I didn’t. I shall certainly think carefully before deciding to go again - or to any diesel gala that is likely to be extremely busy. Wightrider in October is a week after the SVR Autumn Diesel Gala and the same dates as the IoW Steam Railway beer and trains weekend. Despite the potential for mixing beer, buses and trains I’m willing to bet there will be less hoo-har there, so I might just focus on that.