• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Diesel Gala 2024 16th-19th May

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I find it truly shocking that a preserved railway - any organisation actually - needs to say such things.
we have all seen beered up spotters behaving poorly at these events. Some people just cant hold thier ale. They also had a warning about window hanging so I suspect they are cognizant of the ORR being more interested in preserved railway operations.

’d like to have been at SVR but given the reports of occasional inappropriate behaviour and crowded trains I’m glad in a way I didn’t. I shall certainly think carefully before deciding to go again - or to any diesel gala that is likely to be extremely busy
You are missing out on a good event - planning is the key tbh. I try to avoid all the silliness if I can. I found the Bridgnorth end of the line quieter on the Saturday and i don't feel i missed anything by not being at the Kidderminster end. Going on the Friday meant I had the visiting locos "ticked off" away form the maddening crowds!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
we have all seen beered up spotters behaving poorly at these events. Some people just cant hold thier ale. They also had a warning about window hanging so I suspect they are cognizant of the ORR being more interested in preserved railway operations.
Bar staff should not be retailing to customers who appear to be intoxicated - but of course its not possible to stop folks who carry in cans they bought in the morning from the local offy or supermarket!

ORR is taking interest in any transport from which it is possible to hang out body parts: we tram crew have been asked to keep a very careful watch for it on open-top / open-balcony vehicles at Crich, where I operate a couple of days a week.

You are missing out on a good event - planning is the key tbh. I try to avoid all the silliness if I can. I found the Bridgnorth end of the line quieter on the Saturday and i don't feel i missed anything by not being at the Kidderminster end. Going on the Friday meant I had the visiting locos "ticked off" away form the maddening crowds!
Good tips @DarloRich - thank you and that maybe restores my willingness to go to the next event.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Bar staff should not be retailing to customers who appear to be intoxicated
I bet they aren't. The problem is that while tommy might be sozzled by Jonny isnt and it is Jonny fighting his way to the bar ;)

thank you and that maybe restores my willingness to go to the next event.
I vowed never to do a Saturday again but folded to go with some colleagues this year. I hated how busy the Kidderminster > Bewdley run was so we just avoided it until later in the day.

Going to the Bridgnorth end meant I could visit Eardington and enjoy thier cakes ;)

Last edited:

birchesgreen

Established Member
I've never thought about basing myself at the Bridgnorth end, i've always been at the Kidderminster Town end, i might try that next year.

LRV3004

It is a fantastic event. They are very clever in making it hard to get everything in one day ;)

Despite my moans about spotters I really enjoy the SVR gala's. They put on a great show.

PS - my pictures of the gala are starting to go up on my flickr. All taken with my mobile this time as my camera was flat. I forgot to charge it before setting off!
It is clever indeed - the number of locos involved against the number of services makes it pretty much impossible for them all to work in one day unless you start double (may even triple) heading trains; by having certain locos working on certain days increases the likelihood of people coming back, therefore rovers for more than one day are purchased, in turn increasing revenue for the railway…..crafty marketing in action!!!
Hope you got good pictures with your phone - it must have been so frustrating realising you’d forgotten to charge your camera!!!

bramling

Veteran Member
I bet they aren't. The problem is that while tommy might be sozzled by Jonny isnt and it is Jonny fighting his way to the bar ;)

The amount of alcohol sloshing around has put me off attending the SVR, even on normal days, let alone the diesel gala - which is something I used to attend quite religiously every year. By the late afternoon I found the atmosphere quite unpleasant, and worse still on the evening trains - especially if unable to get a compartment.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The amount of alcohol sloshing around has put me off attending the SVR, even on normal days, let alone the diesel gala
I know what you mean - however this year they seemed much more proactive on cleaning the carriages and bins during layovers. However there is a lot of drink drunk over the course of these gala's.

I guess the beer side is profitable and while I like a beer I also like not to be pi$$ed these days!

EDIT - the Saturday is going to be the worst for drinking. On the Friday I didn't see anything untoward consumption wise.

Seeing as everyone else has posted about their Day(s), thought i'd jump on the proverbial Bandwagon!
I only really went for the 69 and the 70 on the Sat. Everything else is Great but having been to Many Many Galas over nearly 30 Years I didn't actually need anything else Haulage wise (I don't Really bother too much with huge mileages)
Got there for the first off Kiddy on Sat with the 69. Despite the crowds waiting on the concourse I got a seat. Stayed on at Highley to return to Arley for Breakfast. After this I didn't have a plan other to be on the 1500 ex Kidd to Bewdley (70). So I took the 46 to Bridgnorth and walked around the Town for a hour. Then staggered my return journey and was on 37409 into Kidd and stayed on so as to have a seat behind the 70. Granted It was a bit warm and standing room only but bearable to Bewdley.
An hour to walk into Town (shame about the Riverside Roadworks!) Before 50035 to Highley and the 14 up to Eardington on the last train of the day to call there. I require this station (see Shack Attack 2024!)
By chance Diamond Bus Route 125 (Bridgnorth - Kidderminster) passes outside the station every Hour and I only had a 20 min wait for the last one of the day. A 12 minute journey back to Highley and 15 min walk down to the Station for 50035 back to Kidd.
The only real bad behaviour I saw was on this last run. A group of Kids Aged around 14 flailing excessively and using bad language. But it was a good day.
The Bus which passes Eardington is usefull should you ever find yourself with an excessive Fester there ( Cakes and refreshments notwithstanding!)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
It is a fantastic event. They are very clever in making it hard to get everything in one day ;)

Despite my moans about spotters I really enjoy the SVR gala's. They put on a great show.
From posts on this thread, plus YouTube footage, I am highly impressed.
The last SVR diesel gala I did, was back in (I think) 1988; and other than a Yeoman 59 and a large logo 37/4, I couldn't tell you whether any other diesels were running :)

HOOVER29

i just dont get why people cant step into a compartment or away from the window for a few seconds to let people past. Also: take off your back pack if standing in a doorway or corridor. It makes your vastness less vast!

You have to get to the other end of the the line. No real problems there with choice of services. You have to plan properly on the Saturday. I have learnt that having got a bit exasperated with the Kidderminster end of the line on a Saturday

the type of carriage led to violence? there were only 2/3 air con coaches on the Bewdley shuttle ( needed for the visiting locos?) and three in the HST set. Quite avoidable if that is an issue.

Yet i was on that train and had a seat. Plenty of space to be had away from the first 2 coaches.

I was on the later class 59 run and while coach one was rammed with wibblers i had a lovely seat in a half filled carriage near the back. You have to plan properly. It can be quite mad on those runs early in the day. Aim for the later one and enjoy a wider day. If possible do 2 days so you can cross of the spicy visiting loco when the crowds are thinner.

At the risk of labouring a point: spend the Saturday at the other end of the line. Very civilised. Avoid the Saturday morning trains on the Bewdley shuttle as they are rammed with people who seem to have lost thier minds!
I just kept going to Hampton Loade to escape the stupidity
Very peaceful station

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
we have all seen beered up spotters behaving poorly at these events. Some people just cant hold thier ale

I disagree.

Some people are just idiots. The ale brings that out in them.

Or put another way, it’s not the ale, but the underlying behaviour that is the problem.