• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn valley railway news and updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm guessing that it's less "can't run with the DBSO" and more "it's the only rake which the mainline locomotives can haul". I don't think class 56s or class 60s can supply ETS, therefore 47712 needs to be permanently connected to keep the lights working etc. So the only place you can put the guests is on the DBSO end. Top n tail also gives more operational flexibility, especially with reversing at Highley.

With the caveat that I have no involvement with the SVR, so may be completely wrong!
The DBSO did lead a train on Thursday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I don't think class 56s or class 60s can supply ETS, therefore 47712 needs to be permanently connected to keep the lights working etc
The other locomotives can't be controlled from the DBSO either. (Technically, the 20, 33, 37 and 40 could be I guess.)

Top n tail also gives more operational flexibility, especially with reversing at Highley.
Yes, the timetable is totally dependent on a quick restart at Highley (and on time departures from Kidderminster and Bewdley).

On Moderation
The other locomotives can't be controlled from the DBSO either. (Technically, the 20, 33, 37 and 40 could be I guess.)
As the 40 is 40106 then it can’t work the DBSO set as the stock is air only and 40106 is vac only.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Perhaps there should be less expectation of interchange at Kidderminster.

I made a 3 minute connection at Kidderminster earlier on Friday, but my day did not depend on it, and I made sure I was there with longer to spare for 60062 later! The latter's train did however connect with the later arrival, but was extremely crowded even before those additional passengers boarded, so with Saturday's train being even busier the result is understandable.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Also, anyone any clue why the DBSO never actually lead a train? Seems a bit odd that its allowed out on the mainline at line speed but couldn't run on a heritage line at 25mph without a loco in front of it.
The DBSO led a train on thursday with the 47 on the other end

Intercity110

On Moderation
About to
Interesting gala (was there on the Saturday) but the timetable seemed to last roughly 2 departures from Kidderminster before falling apart and getting more and more delayed as the day went on.
Think they really got too many locos and guests in for a single track railway.

Also, anyone any clue why the DBSO never actually lead a train? Seems a bit odd that its allowed out on the mainline at line speed but couldn't run on a heritage line at 25mph without a loco in front of it.
it’s scheduled to do so later today.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
As the 40 is 40106 then it can’t work the DBSO set as the stock is air only and 40106 is vac only.
Ah yes, I was thinking about the blue square and forgetting about the brakes. Clearly no ETS either (and likewise for 20s and 37263).

xotGD

Established Member
Ah yes, I was thinking about the blue square and forgetting about the brakes. Clearly no ETS either (and likewise for 20s and 37263).
A 37/4 could provide the necessary.

Interestingly, the shove set and 37/4s are due to meet at forthcoming galas.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its interesting how popular the HST has been. I overheard a few people who had come specially to travel on it, to be honest i was a bit meh about it. However, now i understand it. There was just something so magical about it on the SVR, maybe because it just stood out so much, and in the good sunlight the GWR livery did look rather fetching.

william.martin

On Moderation
Its interesting how popular the HST has been. I overheard a few people who had come specially to travel on it, to be honest i was a bit meh about it. However, now i understand it. There was just something so magical about it on the SVR, maybe because it just stood out so much, and in the good sunlight the GWR livery did look rather fetching.
I did it between Totnes and Dawlish and it was less busy :lol:

Sadly I am busy and I can't attend the gala although in my spare time I just watch it on the live cams (I can't be bothered to drive for 20 mins only to spend 30 minutes there.)

I must say that all of there webcams are excellent, a shame about of a tree which is a bit to big at Highley however the rest is great!

william.martin

On Moderation
Is 20048 going to be out today?
It will be on the 1430 Kidderminster and the 1730 Bridgnorth departure, I have attatched the timetable below although make sure you scroll down to today ( I forgot earlier :rolleyes: and got the wrong times) it will be where it says 20's so I am assuming it will be doubling up with 20189.

Attachments

• Spring-Diesel-Festival-Timetable-Full (6).pdf
    209.6 KB · Views: 10

kentrailman

A curveball question but does anyone know if you drive in and then immediately straight out of the SVR car park ( because it is full ) you will get a fine for "parking" if you didn't pay ? Or is there a grace period. I noticed the cameras and was hoping they would not charge for quick in and out visits. Not talking about national rail car park ( where I perhaps naughtily ended up ) but SVR one.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I heard that the gala was ridiculously busy yesterday with the car park at Kiddy being completely full at around 0815. Huge queues built up at the entrance to the platforms meaning that some people (even those who had pre-booked tickets) had to wait in line for a considerable time and missed their first train! Sounds less than ideal.

kje7812

A curveball question but does anyone know if you drive in and then immediately straight out of the SVR car park ( because it is full ) you will get a fine for "parking" if you didn't pay ? Or is there a grace period. I noticed the cameras and was hoping they would not charge for quick in and out visits. Not talking about national rail car park ( where I perhaps naughtily ended up ) but SVR one.
I believe the grace period is 20 mins.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
6 - yes, there were people dressed differently to how I dress. So what? It doesn't make them weirdos in the slightest. Good luck to them for being brave and being themselves

No, they are weirdos. I am fairly wierd but i know how to dress myself, bathe and behave in public.

Dont care how you dress as long as you are clean, your turn out clean and you are at least able to function in society

It certainly sounds like I'll be better off enjoying the forecasted good weather! I'm not a fan of putting up with drunks on regular trains, paying good money to do so on a heritage line? No thanks.

No many drunks tbf. Drinking certainly (which is a good source of income) but i didnt see anyone "bad" for drink

I wasn't particularly impressed with the two people (top men?) who were berating him. Personally, I'd have just asked politely.

This is what winds me up. Man childs. Get a grip. You missed a train. It happens. Get a beer, look at the timetbale and have a nice day out

I was at the SVR today, though I didn't travel as I can get attacks of claustrophobia and the crowds put me right off. I just hadn't considered that it would be as popular as it was

Thursday and friday were nice
Well loaded but no issie getting a seat.u have given up going to the svr gala on a saturday as it is SO bush

3 - there were a lot of teenagers there, and the ones I overheard seemed very knowledgeable which was great and perhaps should give us confidence for the future

Lots of youth teamers which is good but they need to grow up and stop shouting silly slogans trying to sound cool!

(Grumpy old man mode!)

I heard that the gala was ridiculously busy yesterday with the car park at Kiddy being completely full at around 0815. Huge queues built up at the entrance to the platforms meaning that some people (even those who had pre-booked tickets) had to wait in line for a considerable time and missed their first train! Sounds less than ideal.
As above: the saturday far to busy for me! Thursday and friday are nice days

It will be on the 1430 Kidderminster and the 1730 Bridgnorth departure, I have attatched the timetable below although make sure you scroll down to today ( I forgot earlier :rolleyes: and got the wrong times) it will be where it says 20's so I am assuming it will be doubling up with 20189.
20048 failed yesterday, so it might be 20142 with 20189 instead. Or indeed something else, I have no inside knowledge :)!

No, they are weirdos. I am fairly wierd but i know how to dress myself, bathe and behave in public.

Dont care how you dress as long as you are clean, your turn out clean and you are at least able to function in society

No many drunks tbf. Drinking certainly (which is a good source of income) but i didnt see anyone "bad" for drink

This is what winds me up. Man childs. Get a grip. You missed a train. It happens. Get a beer, look at the timetbale and have a nice day out

Thursday and friday were nice
Well loaded but no issie getting a seat.u have given up going to the svr gala on a saturday as it is SO bush

Lots of youth teamers which is good but they need to grow up and stop shouting silly slogans trying to sound cool!

(Grumpy old man mode!)

As above: the saturday far to busy for me! Thursday and friday are nice days
Yes, the repeated screams of 'hellfire' and 'thrash it, driver' got a little bit wearing...

Melancholia

I got the timetable, thanks, however 20048 had some trouble yesterday, and was taken off at Bridgnorth, meaning 20189 ran by itself nose first. So was wondering whether that "trouble" has been sorted or not.

I think its very poor if you have gone to the bother you have to queue up at all why can't the arm bands be sent out with the receipt

ABB125

Established Member
At least they hopefully weren't screaming "My Lords!" (Painful memories of the last days of the 'Westerns' in 1975-77).
I'm pretty sure I heard that at least once...

Meanwhile, the second to last train of the day into Kidderminster yesterday (40106) was an hour late departing Hampton Loade, arrived Kidderminster only half an hour late. I was sat in the third coach (deliberate decision) which was peaceful, other than the group of teenagers in the vestibule and the sound of 40106. The front two coaches, however, were incredibly noisy and rowdy. At Bewdley, a rumour spread amongst the younger passengers that the run through the tunnel would be "spirited". And indeed it was, in more than one way!
We slowed to a crawl just before the tunnel, then the driver gave it full power until we were out the other side. It was very loud! However, the EE noise was almost drowned out by the absolute raucousness from the front two coaches, which reverberated very clearly in the tunnel.

A very good day out, on the whole.

On Moderation
I got the timetable, thanks, however 20048 had some trouble yesterday, and was taken off at Bridgnorth, meaning 20189 ran by itself nose first. So was wondering whether that "trouble" has been sorted or not.
20048 worked back to Kidderminster with D821 on the 1930 off Bridgnorth, so whatever the issue was is presumably fixed.

87electric

I turned up at 9am yesterday and had a 40 minute wait in the pre booked line. Missed the 9:30 but with a bit of timetable manipulation I managed to get everything in. No problem. In fact, this fortunately led to me NOT missing the 60 as I boarded at Bewdley. A lot were bowled at Kiddy as it didn't wait for incoming Western passengers. All swings and roundabouts, bit like the mainline. Great busy gala with sunshine, beer and clag.

LRV3004

Interesting gala (was there on the Saturday) but the timetable seemed to last roughly 2 departures from Kidderminster before falling apart and getting more and more delayed as the day went on.
Think they really got too many locos and guests in for a single track railway.

The 47 did do one run on the Thursday when it pushed the train with the DBSO leading - I videoed it departing Kidderminster!

The 47 did do one run on the Thursday when it pushed the train with the DBSO leading - I videoed it departing Kidderminster!
Here’s a still from the aforementioned video - it wouldn’t let me upload the actual video as it was too long!!!

I thought the GWR HST looked right at home on the SVR! While at Bewdley, the HST arrived with a train for Kidderminster while 60062 was waiting to depart towards Highley. With the style of the station roof at Bewdley, it looked as though it was a station on the Great Western somewhere, with the HST looking like it was making a call with a service train, and the 60 on a railtour!!!

Attachments

• 2A82B8FB-D5F1-4E8E-8128-96BCEE66DD5E.jpeg
    2A82B8FB-D5F1-4E8E-8128-96BCEE66DD5E.jpeg
    630.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Kaput

Here’s a still from the aforementioned video - it wouldn’t let me upload the actual video as it was too long!!!

Pity there was only the one run with the DBSO leading. Seems like another symptom of there just being too many different locos at the gala.

xotGD

Established Member
We slowed to a crawl just before the tunnel, then the driver gave it full power until we were out the other side.
I thought that this was standard procedure!

Not just at the SVR, but any preserved line with a suitable tunnel.

A 40 giving it the works through a tunnel reminds me of a very spirited departure from Sunderland several decades ago.

LRV3004

Pity there was only the one run with the DBSO leading. Seems like another symptom of there just being too many different locos at the gala.
The case of “too many locos” was mentioned by my brother before we’d even started travelling! I can see what the SVR were trying to do, and it was a brilliant event but I think it bit them on the backside a little. The main line visitors were restricted to the Mark 3 stock because of brake compatibility, however in previous years they’ve run on the vac-braked stock with a translator loco; not sure why that option couldn’t have been explored this time around! But not taking anything away from the SVR - aside from the timekeeping issue and the missed connection from D1062 to 60062 yesterday (I wasn’t there to directly witness that) it was a good gala I thought!

On Moderation
One of the major reasons to have the DBSO set there at all was to provide an air braked set for the visiting FOC locos. Without those locos there’d be fewer people buying tickets and that means there’s no need for a hired in set.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
however in previous years they’ve run on the vac-braked stock with a translator loco; not sure why that option couldn’t have been explored this time around!
Air braked locomotives running on vacuum braked stock with a 'translator' locomotive is frankly nonsense, particularly when the translator makes more noise / provides more traction effort.

Having the air braked stock there makes for a proper sense of the visiting locomotive doing the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.