• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2023

birchesgreen

Established Member
Sorry for the daft question, but what counts as a valid visit to scratch a shack off?

Does one have to exit or enter at a station, or is being on a train that stops at station enough?
Well there are no hard rules and it can be down to yourself to an extent what you count.

For me i count visiting a new shack as when i can stand on it's platform, preferably having arrived by train. Though i will count travelling to the station by other means if it is an "awkward" one like Polesworth.

Thats just me though, others will have their own criteria!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Sorry for the daft question, but what counts as a valid visit to scratch a shack off?

Does one have to exit or enter at a station, or is being on a train that stops at station enough?

Well there are no hard rules and it can be down to yourself to an extent what you count.

For me i count visiting a new shack as when i can stand on it's platform, preferably having arrived by train. Though i will count travelling to the station by other means if it is an "awkward" one like Polesworth.

Thats just me though, others will have their own criteria!
Personally I just use the "board or alight" rule. I have to either get off the train, or board the train. Just being on a train that passes through is insufficient as is getting off and straight back on again (unless it's a terminus station).

When I did Polesworth for example, I arrived by train but then got the local bus to Atherstone.

The exile

Established Member

Each to his/her own really - but my own rule is basically that I have to use a station in the way a member of the public would:
Arrive at the station (from “outside”) and leave by train, or
Arrive by train and leave on foot etc, or
“Genuinely” change trains (from one service to another )- just hopping on to the platform and reboarding the same train doesn’t count - unless a non-enthusiast might do it (“fresh air” breaks during long stops for passing on single lines for example). As Polesworth is being used as an example, I parked there, caught the train to Tamworth and got the bus back.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Different rules for different people :) Whatever works for you is the key thing :)

I've a very small number of stations where I've been driven to them, taken the photos and been on the platform, then driven to the next place. I think it's only 3 stations like that, and given these days (I did those stations like that several years ago) I have a much more active lifestyle I will eventually go back to them to visit them 'properly' to link them with some walking or cycling. Until then, they remain in my exceptions file!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
21/05/2023

Chapel en-le-Frith (with various photos from the station attached)

Very much not the planned journey today, but at least I scored a station. What a beautiful one to do as well!

Attachments

• 3E96FFD0-D838-41CE-8756-F5B9EF7206E7.jpeg
    3E96FFD0-D838-41CE-8756-F5B9EF7206E7.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 625B8288-313B-4095-9D3F-8AA9CB5DA15C.jpeg
    625B8288-313B-4095-9D3F-8AA9CB5DA15C.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
  • FC08A3B0-16A8-4B36-B14C-525688CE4BF0.jpeg
    FC08A3B0-16A8-4B36-B14C-525688CE4BF0.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 5
  • EFAB91F3-162C-4A6A-A176-F9FBEDD72DE8.jpeg
    EFAB91F3-162C-4A6A-A176-F9FBEDD72DE8.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 3CC304D7-716E-4268-A26D-904EECC92B7A.jpeg
    3CC304D7-716E-4268-A26D-904EECC92B7A.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
  • C8B5FCEF-5CF0-4ACB-A7A8-7629AF6462E7.jpeg
    C8B5FCEF-5CF0-4ACB-A7A8-7629AF6462E7.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 2
  • DE1E7527-8512-4AAA-8C62-44FF09668A56.jpeg
    DE1E7527-8512-4AAA-8C62-44FF09668A56.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 5
Right, it's a long time since I last posted in this thread but here are the recent trips that I can remember.

I went to Preston last month and rode around on a rented e-bike investigating proposed tram routes. At the end of this, I tried to take my bike on at Bamber Bridge, but it was a matchday & the train was so full of Blackburn Rovers supporters that it couldn't fit. I rode to Leyland instead to pick up my first 319 ride since they left London.

Recent trips crossing off the rest of the class 313s before retirement (got round to all except '3214 in the end with 2 days to spare), along with the stations which they served:

Moulsecoomb and Falmer I got while engaged in another of my hobbies: trying to work out where the police horsebox had parked for the game against Crystal Palace which I had missed the previous week. Unfortunately the rain had washed away all the evidence.

As the only station in the Havant area which I didn't already have, I decided to start at Warblington, which gave me the anxiety I usually get around stations where the only way to cross the tracks is by level crossing, making it possible to get to the station, but still miss your train because it's on the other side.

Some toing & froing got me Southbourne, Barnham, and Bosham, with its wonderful view of Chichester's spire, which only train crews get to enjoy since it's almost exactly parallel to the line.

At Littlehampton, the barrier lady took a disliking to my ticket, & attempted to rip it up, so I walked to Angmering and got a fast 313 run over to Portsmouth. Bognor Regis was outside my ticket, so I had to buy an excess fare.

I did the +1 shuffle at Nutbourne from westbound to eastbound, wasn't impeded by the level crossing because my train out was 7 minutes late so I can't say whether it's really possible or not, then visited Fishbourne Roman Palace, where like at all expensive museums, I got severe anxiety over getting my money's worth & ended up staying until closing time & being kicked out.

Over on the eastern diagrams, I spent half an hour in Seaford and visited Newhaven Harbour, although because I arrived & left on the same train, I don't count it.

The final day saw me take a walk across the country from Newhaven to Bishopstone, and later walk to Newhaven Harbour for the last 313 departure, whence I alighted at Southease to relieve myself.

All with 313s themselves, and furthermore Lancing, where '7302 caught & bowled me, Hilsea and Emsworth, which I only got to on Friday afternoon, and Worthing, which I got after taking the 01:21 departure purely to shorten my benightment by 1 hour.

The first time I'd had Portsmouth Harbour was off the ferry coming back from a holiday in Normandy as a child. Southsea and Fratton I've had loads of times changing from Wessex services. Bedhampton and Havant I'd had on a previous trip to the Havant area. Chichester is a wonderful city I like to visit anyway. Ford I'd had on a visit to Arundel. I know I've taken the Hove Shuttle, so I've definitely visited Hove, but I can't remember when. My first trip to Brighton Terminus was as an 8-year-old on a excursion train formed from a class 442 that was non-stop from East Croydon to Brighton. Preston Park and Brighton London Road were on 5 November 2021, Lewes the very next day (for a reason that I can't talk about online, but if you know you know). Finally, I have fond memories of my trips on 3-PEPs down to Newhaven Town for trips to the continent. Hellfire, that long & fast section from Southerham to Southease was.

On the way back on Thursday, I took the spectacular section of bus route round Beachy Head from Seaford to Eastbourne, then visited Pevensey, copping both Westham and Bay stations. As a strike that day meant there were only eastbound services from the latter, I changed over to the 22 at St Leonard's Warrior Square.

Last edited:

gabrielhj07

18MAY-24MAY Inclusive

Aberdour
Abergavenny
Ashchurch for Tewkesbury
Barnsley
Bateley
Bedminster
Bodmin Parkway
Bradford Interchange
Bramley (West Yorks)
Brighouse
Burntisland
Cambourne
Cardiff Central
Castle Cary
Chepstow
Collingham
Cupar
Cwmbran
Dalgety Bay
Darnall
Dewsbury
Dunbar
Durham
Edinburgh Gateway
Filton Abbey Wood
Gainsborough Lea Road
Gloucester
Halifax
Hayle
Haymarket
Hereford
Huddersfield
Hykeham
Inverkeithing
Ivybridge
Kinghorn
Kiveton Bridge
Kiveton Park
Kirkcaldy
Ladybank
Leuchars
Lincoln Central
Liskeard
Littleborough
Lostwithiel
Ludlow
Manchester Victoria
Market Harborough
Markinch
Meadowhall
Melton Mowbray
Mirfield
Morley
Mytholmroyd
Newport (South Wales)
New Pudsey
Oakham
Par
Parsons Street
Patchway
Penzance
Ravensthorpe
Redruth
Retford (Low Level)
Saltash
Saxilby
Severn Tunnel Junction
Shireoaks
Shrewsbury
Smithy Bridge
Sowerby Bridge
Stalybridge
Stamford
St Austell
St Erth
St Germans
Stockport
Todmorden
Totnes
Truro
University
Wakefield Kirkgate
Walsden
Westbury
Wilnecote
Woodhouse
Worksop

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
25/05/2023
Slaithwaite (arrived on an 802, left behind a 68 - neither of which I realised called there!)

GW43125

Established Member
24/05/23
Walton-on-Thames

26/05/23
Barnes Bridge
Syon Lane

KT550

A few days in Yorkshire with a West Yorkshire Day Saver ticket. I wanted to get Cottingley done before closure even though the new White Rose station is a long way off opening.
Infrequently served Baghill was good to do as well.
Just one West Yorkshire station to go, Normanton, which I missed due to a failed short connection at WKK but gained Slaithwaite which I hadn't planned to visit this time.

24 May 2023
Sandal & Agbrigg
Fitzwilliam
Outwood
Glasshoughton
Pontefract Baghill
Sherburn-in-Elmet
South Milford
East Garforth
Micklefield
Bramley [West Yorks]

25 May 2023
Low Moor
Mirfield
Deighton
Cottingley
Batley
Morley
Brighouse
Ravensthorpe
Mytholmroyd
Marsden
Slaithwaite

26 May 2023
Lockwood
Shepley
Stocksmoor
Berry Brow
Honley
Newark Northgate
Grantham

Total NR: 1768

Andy Pacer

Established Member
18MAY-24MAY Inclusive

Aberdour
Abergavenny
Ashchurch for Tewkesbury
Barnsley
Bateley
Bedminster
Bodmin Parkway
Bradford Interchange
Bramley (West Yorks)
Brighouse
Burntisland
Cambourne
Cardiff Central
Castle Cary
Chepstow
Collingham
Cupar
Cwmbran
Dalgety Bay
Darnall
Dewsbury
Dunbar
Durham
Edinburgh Gateway
Filton Abbey Wood
Gainsborough Lea Road
Gloucester
Halifax
Hayle
Haymarket
Hereford
Huddersfield
Hykeham
Inverkeithing
Ivybridge
Kinghorn
Kiveton Bridge
Kiveton Park
Kirkcaldy
Ladybank
Leuchars
Lincoln Central
Liskeard
Littleborough
Lostwithiel
Ludlow
Manchester Victoria
Market Harborough
Markinch
Meadowhall
Melton Mowbray
Mirfield
Morley
Mytholmroyd
Newport (South Wales)
New Pudsey
Oakham
Par
Parsons Street
Patchway
Penzance
Ravensthorpe
Redruth
Retford (Low Level)
Saltash
Saxilby
Severn Tunnel Junction
Shireoaks
Shrewsbury
Smithy Bridge
Sowerby Bridge
Stalybridge
Stamford
St Austell
St Erth
St Germans
Stockport
Todmorden
Totnes
Truro
University
Wakefield Kirkgate
Walsden
Westbury
Wilnecote
Woodhouse
Worksop
Blimey you did well there. Were these "proper" scratches (boards/alight)?

1971martin

Monday 22nd May 2023

Shotton

Tuesday 23rd May 2023

Kidsgrove
Liverpool South Parkway
Aughton Park
Town Green
Old Roan
Maghull North
Maghull
Bank Hall

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
27/05/2023
Eventually got round to scooping in the following:
Furness Vale (1334)
Dove Holes (1335)

Plus the miniature railway shacks at Rudyard, Hunthouse Wood and The Dam...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
29/05/2023
Belle Vue (1336)
(planned move to Stockport and back to scratch a required 153 cancelled due to incident at Wilmslow - this was the alternative choice whilst waiting for the second of my required 331s to appear!)

Sunday 28th May
New Southgate
Palmers Green
Winchmore Hill
Drayton Park
Essex Road
Chadwell Heath
Eastcote (LU)

Monday 29th May
Potters Bar
Hatfield

Different rules for different people :) Whatever works for you is the key thing :)

I've a very small number of stations where I've been driven to them, taken the photos and been on the platform, then driven to the next place. I think it's only 3 stations like that, and given these days (I did those stations like that several years ago) I have a much more active lifestyle I will eventually go back to them to visit them 'properly' to link them with some walking or cycling. Until then, they remain in my exceptions file!
My rule is that I either alight or join a SCHEDULED PUBLIC TRAIN MAKING A SCHEDULED PUBLIC CALL.
Getting back on the same service to depart is not allowed (apart from maybe at termini)

Had a few days in the capital, first chance to use the core of Crossrail since it opened last year, all listed using the dedicated Crossrail platforms rather than the "high level" platforms at stations with other National Rail services.

25/5/2023
Paddington
Liverpool Street
Bond Street

26/5/2023
Tottenham Court Road

28/5/2023
Canary Wharf
Whitechapel

The exile

Established Member
My rule is that I either alight or join a SCHEDULED PUBLIC TRAIN MAKING A SCHEDULED PUBLIC CALL.
Getting back on the same service to depart is not allowed (apart from maybe at termini)
At termini it is of course often not the same service (except at places like Bradford Interchange and Carmarthen)