• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shack Attack 2024

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Started my year by actually using Brent Cross West for a reason other than just going to visit it. My mother was driving me back from relatives down the M1 & it made a convenient drop-off place. I think I may have the first ever ticket from Brent Cross West to Pitsea, where I went for the purpose of ticking off a crossover. I travelled there on the first ever passenger service in as long as I can remember to traverse the Gas Factory Chord & was surprised not to see any other bashers on it. I can also report that the refurbishment at Barking is unfortunately still nowhere near finished.
Total for C2C: 19/28.

The exile

Established Member
06/01

Hillside
Freshfield
Ainsdale
Ah - I see we were in the same neck of the woods. For the same reason, possibly! Unfortunately for me the Southport line shacks were not a useful “collateral gain!”.

6 Jan 2024

St Anne’s-on-the-Sea
Moss Side
Squires Gate
Humphrey Park

UK Total: 2441

A lower than usual total for the day- the lure of a few last PEPs was too strong to resist.

childwallblues

Established Member
04/01/2024

Buckley BCK. (Borderlands Line)
No footbridge, subway or lift. Just a boarded crossing at the Bidston end. Cheap fare £2.60 return from Heswall (Merseyside boundary)

birchesgreen

Established Member
Ah - I see we were in the same neck of the woods. For the same reason, possibly! Unfortunately for me the Southport line shacks were not a useful “collateral gain!”.
Yes got some final PEPs in, though unfortunately only saw 001 from the window of another 507, twice!

Sunday 7 January
Bentley
Adwick
Conisborough
Mexborough
Rotherham Central (Heavy Rail)

Mexborough was a delight. Staffed with Warm Waiting Rooms and Toilets.
Also, uniquely(?) A Inhabited FISH TANK in one if those Waiting Rooms!

KT550

A trip to Hull and Scarborough. 29 Northern trains, all on time bar a minute or two.

09 Jan 2024

Goole
Gilberdyke
Brough
Ferriby
Hessle
Hull

10 Jan 2024

Nafferton
Hutton Cranswick
Bridlington
Cottingham
Driffield
Beverley
Seamer
Bempton
Filey
Hunmanby
Scarborough

11 Jan 2024

Arram
Saltmarshe
Broomfleet
Thorne South
Lincoln

11th Jan:
Marske (307), Longbeck (308), Redcar East (309), Redcar Central (310), South Bank (311), Middlesbrough (312), Eaglescliffe (313), Allens West (314), Dinsdale (315)

miklcct

On Moderation
National Rail
268 Purley Oaks 2024-01-14
269 New Malden 2024-01-16

In addition I visited Austria on 2024-01-13 and used the following stations:
ÖBB: Flughafen Wien, Wien Praterstern, Wien Franz-Josefs-Bahnhof, Kirchberg am Wagram, Wien Heiligenstadt, Wien Mitte
U-Bahn Wien: Praterstern, Schottentor, Heiligenstadt, Landstraße

mm333

11 new stations ticked off in January - not bad for a month for where one is waiting on cold/windy/wet platforms!

On the way back from seeing family in Worksop, I did Kiveton Park and Kiveton Bridge. So I now only have Woodhouse and the outlier of Saxilby left to do before I've ticked off the Sheffield-Lincoln line.

And then thanks to a Northern complimentary ticket, I was able to tick off Hapton, Huncoat, Clitheroe, Church & Oswaldtwistle, Whalley, Rishton, Langho and Ramsgreave & Wilpshire. And then I made a short detour to do Smithy Bridge, so there's just Moston and Castleton left to do between Halifax and Manchester Victoria.

471 done.

Last edited:
Back again for more on the Wherry lines, in between the Norwich - Sheringham - Norwich and Great Yarmouth - Crewe Legs of the LSL Tour....

Cantley
Buckenham
Berney Arms
Lingwood

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
31/01/2024
Realised that my cheapo "Avanti Avoidance" Crewe to Euston return allows Break of Journey on the return bit, so celebrated by stopping and having half an hour's fester at Cheddington, which is a pleasant enough spot to watch trains go by, but possibly better in summer...

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
06/02/2024
Berkhamsted
Tring

Berkhamsted Castle is well worth a visit, and seems popular with moles, judging by the modern earthworks amidst the old ones. Tring is very early-seventies in design, but looks to be well looked after by the local staff. Both good for train watching, and Berkhamsted has loos and a coffee/snack emporium.

Last edited:
Saturday 10th Feb

South Eastern

Ladywell
Catford Bridge
Lower Sydenham
New Beckenham
Clock House
Eden Park
West Wickham

Tramlink
Woodside
Addiscombe
Harrington Road
Coombe Lane
Gravel Hill
Addington Village

Had to abandon the next 3 along the New Addington Line due to time constraints and the weather starting to close in a bit!

Saturday 10th Feb

South Eastern

Ladywell
Catford Bridge
Lower Sydenham
New Beckenham
Clock House
Eden Park
West Wickham

Tramlink
Woodside
Addiscombe
Harrington Road
Coombe Lane
Gravel Hill
Addington Village

Had to abandon the next 3 along the New Addington Line due to time constraints and the weather starting to close in a bit!

Saturday 10th Feb

South Eastern

Ladywell
Catford Bridge
Lower Sydenham
New Beckenham
Clock House
Eden Park
West Wickham

Tramlink
Woodside
Addiscombe
Harrington Road
Coombe Lane
Gravel Hill
Addington Village

Seems to have appeared twice for some reason