• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sheffield to Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

button_boxer

Established Member
I'm trying to find the cheapest combination of walk-up tickets that would allow me to travel on the 08:20 CrossCountry service from Sheffield to Birmingham on a weekday morning and return around 18:00 on a different day. The through SOR is £75, I've got it down to £50.60 with a combination of two over-distance starting short anomalies, can anyone do better than that (by PM if appropriate)?

This will be a semi-regular journey and I intend to look for advances when they are available and I know the dates, but I just wanted to get an idea of the price ceiling above which it's not worth bothering with advance tickets.

The return can be more flexible but I'd really like to stick to the fast through train on the outward unless there's a huge saving to be made otherwise (but still getting to Birmingham by 09:30).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

button_boxer

Established Member
Try splitting at Derby

A straight SOR split at Derby is £65 (£33 Sheffield-Derby + £32 Derby-Birmingham). Buying singles between Sheffield and Derby brings this down a bit but not much (SOS SHF-DBY £19 + CDS DBY-SHF £10.10).

button_boxer

Established Member
Nontheless, the Attenborough SOR is cheaper than my previous best - we're down to £47 total now for Sheffield to Birmingham return.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I have a combination for £46.30 so not much saving over your result of £47 if you're interested.

I would not recommend using my combination on a through train though. You will need to change at Derby.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For anyone who is interested, I have now found a combination totalling £37.30 for this journey. Please PM if you need further details. ;)

Note that the particular trick will not work for travelling at off-peak times.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.