• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shift work Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwalk365

Hi guys, In terms of the shift work/start to your shift how is that worked? Say you’re first train is at 05.55 does your shift start then or does it start maybe 10-15 minutes earlier? Doesn’t really matter, just a bit more insight would be helpful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

metalmickey

It depends where you work, I start 17 minutes before my first train departs, that time is to book on, use the safe walking route to go to the train station and collect revenue equipment, get to the correct platform and so on.

theironroad

Established Member
Commercial Guards at my depot book on 20 minutes before they are due to relieve the train. If the train arrives at 05:53 for a 05:55 departure, the guard books on at 05:33 and if the driver is just starting their shift to work same train as well they book at 05:38

rwalk365

Ah fair enough, thought it might be like that. Im due a medical this week and start date 2nd July providing I pass it. Will be with Southeastern.

As others have said it depends on depot, route, distance from sign on point to revenue equipment collection, type of train worked etc. For instance at my depot if you're working a local train you get 20 minutes before departure, if it's an Intercity you get 22, as there is more work to be done to prepare an Intercity for departure than a local.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
My toc allow 25mins plus any prep time and 10mins to book off

sarahj

Established Member
Here in Brighton we get 10 mins. 5 min prep and 5 mins walking time

rwalk365

Thanks for all the replies guys, just a quick one, I know this will vary across tocs but what sort pay rises do conductors get per year if at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.