• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shipley to Barrow fare differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyrail

I wondered if this was down to ticket costs but was not surprised at the mad result of some experiments for a journey next Saturday

08:32 Shipley - Barrow Via lancaster £33.40 One ticket
or
08:32 Shipley - Carnforth £18.00
10:21 Carnforth - Barrow £10.80 Total £28.80 Split tickets
or
08:32 Shipley - Lancaster £10.50
10:13 Lancaster = Barrow £12.50 Total £23.00 Split tickets

All journeys are taken on the same trains
If you are prepared to take the risk of one train not running then you can save £10.40 nearly a third of the NRE quoted fare

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
I wondered if this was down to ticket costs but was not surprised at the mad result of some experiments for a journey next Saturday

or
or

All journeys are taken on the same trains
If you are prepared to take the risk of one train not running then you can save £10.40 nearly a third of the NRE quoted fare
While it is indeed cheaper to buy one Advance ticket plus one Off-Peak Day Single (which is what is involved to get the prices you quote for the two cases where split tickets are involved), rather than one Anytime Day Single (the £33.40 ticket), you should make it clear in your post that you are not comparing like with like at all, so are misleading people.

Besides, the price of tickets has got nothing to do with the journey planning. At least not for the NRE website anyway. If you want to make a point about split ticketing I’d recommend you put it in a separate thread.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Besides, the price of tickets has got nothing to do with the journey planning. At least not for the NRE website anyway. If you want to make a point about split ticketing I’d recommend you put it in a separate thread.
Agreed; I have split it into a new thread.

or
Northern Rail charge longer distance journeys at quite a premium, and there are many journeys where Advance fares are not offered where a change of trains is involved.

At present, this can be circumvented by using a combination of more reasonably priced tickets (though I understand there are plans to increase the price of those cheaper fares, but that's another story and has been covered in other threads!)
Actually if you try Trainsplit you will find it's cheaper to split at Arnside; this is a flexible fare.
or
What you don't say is that the Shipley to Lancaster fare is an Advance fare.

Northern do not price Advance fares for many of their shorter distance journeys, and Shipley to Carnforth does not have any Advance fares.

Equally Northern don't price them for many longer distance journeys either.

Hence why it's useful to use a website that tries to identify these cheaper fares.

Northern could show the combination of fares - as identified by you - on their website, but choose not to.

I don't see how there is any "risk" involved here! If the first train is delayed, you would simply change at Carnforth.

No-one is going to make you delay your journey by forcing you to double-back between Carnforth & Lancaster!

xotGD

Established Member
What is interesting with this journey is that you get itineraries that include the double back between Carnforth and Lancaster even with a through ticket. I can't figure out why when both trains call at Carnforth.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
What is interesting with this journey is that you get itineraries that include the double back between Carnforth and Lancaster even with a through ticket. I can't figure out why when both trains call at Carnforth.
Easement 000035 is your answer:
Customers may double back between Carnforth and Lancaster when changing between the Skipton to Lancaster and the Barrow in Furness to Lancaster lines

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Carnforth is a member of Lancaster Group, so doubling-back is permitted within the group for interchange purposes (no need for the easement!)

Status
Not open for further replies.