• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shl test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
If it's for Northern, the tests vary depending on job applied for. For Conductor, they have a maths and a comprehension test.

The maths test generally concerns itself with percentages, bar graphs and interpretation of data to answer the multi choice questions. Most of the questions have pie charts or bar graphs of how a company/organisation has performed over several years for example, sales going up or down. Question may be "What percentage did sales rise between 2008 and 2009" is it A, B, C or D? You must have a calculator and a pen/paper for this test.

The second test, best described as comprehension involves a (poorly worded) text passage, on a random subject, of about 6 lines ...you will then be given three statements related to the text, and asked if each one is i) true ii) false or iii) you can't say either. There's about 7 text passages & 20 questions in total.

I would say whilst they are rather difficult, doing them once puts you in good stead for any further applications - ie you'll know what to expect.

Generally it's just possible to complete the test in the time given but most fail to complete all of the answers. A key skill is is working at a pace relative to the amount of time left.

The SHL system tells you if you've passed the first one, but if I recall, doesn't tell you if you've passed the second... leaving it up to HR to decide who passed the second one.

Last edited:

Rockhopper

Try telling us which job you have applied for, that might give people a clue as to which tests you are talking about.

DRS66421

I think it’s the 40 questions in 8 minutes test
Is it for Network Rail? I did this in the past and don’t know how they expect someone to pass this with 40 questions and only 8 minutes. You have to read a text and then there is 4 possible answers and you have to select the correct answer.

If anyone can give hints and tips as to how you are meant to pass this it would be greatly appreciated.

skyhigh

Established Member
Is it for Network Rail? I did this in the past and don’t know how they expect someone to pass this with 40 questions and only 8 minutes. You have to read a text and then there is 4 possible answers and you have to select the correct answer.

If anyone can give hints and tips as to how you are meant to pass this it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know for certain, having not seen the test being described, but it's quite possible you're not expected to answer all the questions. Instead it's a test of working quickly and accurately under pressure.

Trackman

Established Member

If it's Network Rail SHL tests they give you a practise test that you can repeat.
I'd just make sure you are fully alert and not take a casual approach to it (not that you would)
The NR SHL tests can be real pigs, the number of people I've heard moan about them - and that's internals!
I hope that doesn't put you off, I'm just telling the truth.
When you know which test it is (SHL will let you know), come back on here and I might be able to give you some pointers.

I think it’s the 40 questions in 8 minutes test
If it’s for NWR, don’t try and answer the 40 in the 8 minutes. Take your time. They are looking for quality, not quantity. I think I only done 27, but got them all correct. I got the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.