• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Shopping trolly on the track near Epsom [12/04]

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
A shopping trolly was on the track near Epsom today delaying trains as rightly the power had to be switched off. Hopefully they will be able to find out who did it. I assume they do forensics on the trolly once it has been recovered.

As an aside, National Rail Enquiries App said the 16.20 arrive into Guildford, from Waterloo, had arrived 27 minutes late. Real Time Trains said it was still heading to Guildford.

Later on National Rail Enquiries App updated to say it had arrived 41 minutes late. I assume it got confused by another train arriving instead. Whereas in this case Real Time Trains didn't get confused.

I was surprised they didn't terminate the 16.20 at Effingham Junction and run it up the line from there. All stops between Epsom and Guildford were cancelled. Maybe more time was saved by running it fast via Woking. I don't know what route it took to London as its too last minute to appear in Real Time Trains.

It's next working, Guildford to Waterloo via Cobham was cancelled completely. Not even a Guildford and Waterloo only service run.

It then is due to form the 17.46 to Chessington South from Waterloo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
I assume there must be a shopping centre near by so probably plenty of CCTV. The trolley wheels lock when leaving the supermarket vicinity. So would make it hard to move.
It wasn't long ago thay one was thrown off a bridge wasn't it? What a silly thing to do.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Not uncommon, it's why they took the footbridge nearest Epsom down and reopened the subway, because they kept dropping things from it and that was everything from bikes, prams & pushchairs ,trolleys of different types.

But doing it there shorted out Epsom station, whereas now its the other side of the substation it should be possible to prevent it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welly

Not uncommon,its why they took the footbridge nearest Epsom down and reopened the subway,because they kept dropping things from it and that was everything from bikes,prams & pushchairs,trolleys of different types.

I knew that footbridge, it was a SR built concrete footbridge and was spalling to the brink of collapse - the gaps between the risers and the treads on the steps were scary! Hence the subway being re-opened.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I knew that footbridge, it was a SR built concrete footbridge and was spalling to the brink of collapse - the gaps between the risers and the treads on the steps were scary! Hence the subway being re-opened.

That's a second reason that I didn't know about. Well it seems that time and its deterioration did us an additional big favour then.

tsr

Established Member
If the reports I had were correct, it was a Tesco trolley and was removed at around 1620, which may explain very short notice service alterations if the line was just reopening around that time.

Sadly the backlog of trains quickly spread, resulting in quite a few delays and cancellations, including around the Southern Metro area.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
A shopping trolly was on the track near Epsom today delaying trains as rightly the power had to be switched off. Hopefully they will be able to find out who did it. I assume they do forensics on the trolly once it has been recovered.
Forensics won't be done on the trolley, cctv won't be collected and nothing will come of this incident! :lol:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Forensics won't be done on the trolley, cctv won't be collected and nothing will come of this incident! :lol:

Unfortunately you're probably right in that statement. It's like trespassers nothing seems to get done about them either and the Ewell to Stoneleigh section does feature as an unofficial walking route for teenagers for some reason or another. :roll:

dctraindriver

Unfortunately you're probably right in that statement. It's like trespassers nothing seems to get done about them either and the Ewell to Stoneleigh section does feature as an unofficial walking route for teenagers for some reason or another. :roll:

That's because Stoneleigh is one heck of a chavvy area.

Forensics no point on a trolley as hundreds have touched it.....

theironroad

Established Member
Unfortunately, these type of incidents are more frequent during school holidays. Objects thrown or placed on the line to 'see what happens when the big train hits it or let's play chicken and see if it's possible to race across the track in front of the train or 'i can't be bothered in walking on the road when the railway track is quicker'.

Welcome to kids getting bored in the holidays......

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Forensics would no doubt reveal that Uncle Tom Cobleigh and all had been in contact with the shopping trolley:) As for CCTV, probably as you say. A week ago tonight some Herbert tore down telephone lines going down the wall between my premises and my neighbour's, right under the CCTV camera. The response? CCTV was working, but nobody was monitoring it and 'the resources aren't currently available to trawl through the recording'.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member

Welly - you forgot the wooden planks bolted into place to substitute for the steps that had holes in the middle...

It was several years past the expected replacement date when they finally did remove it! ( Harley... I'm a few doors away from where that bridge stood; give us a toot when you come past! :) )

... and I thought Epsom was a refined place !

Most certainly not; after every Friday and Saturday night you need to watch where you step as the pavements tend to be covered with broken glass.

As soon as I can afford it, I'm off further out into the country.

infobleep

Veteran Member
That's because Stoneleigh is one heck of a chavvy area.

Forensics no point on a trolley as hundreds have touched it.....
That last point did cross my mind but I wondered if there was a way of dating who touch what when. A kind of history. Perhaps that's too sci-fi impossible.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
I've had to get stuff off the line on a couple of occasions on this section, they're like hemorrhoids down there in that they're, highly irritating and RPITA.

And you have to get what is now known as a ESO (Emergency Switch Off) before you can retrieve anything that's in close proximity to the 3rd rail. No if's, No but's. NO chances.

Too many eyes watching you these days as well as the FFCCTV camera on the unit, so you're being watched all of the time and if you don't do it right you could find yourself either badly injured, dead or sacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.