• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Short faring

SQTF

Hi

I have just travelled back from my parents house to London.

The journey is huntingdon to London on thameslink and is one I used to do regularly when living with my parents and working in London.

When I was commuting this route regularly I used to short fare or doughnut probably half the time to save money on the expensive commute v low salary issue I had. I recognise this is wrong and not something I do now when travelling to/from parents to visit.

Having said that, last week I did. I’m not sure why as I had promised to stop doing it as I have realised it was wrong. Perhaps force of habit, I didn’t really realise I had done it until the ticket inspector stopped me and pointed out I had travelled beyond the destination I had paid for

This was the first time I have ever been caught fare dodging. The man took my name and address via my ID and issued me with a penalty fare notice. I paid this immediately while still on the train to avoid forgetting and seeing it double in cost after 21 days.

Now though I am finding it odd he took my name. Are thameslink likely to go back through my purchase history and work out that I was doing this semi regularly in 2022/23? I will be happy to admit my previous mistakes and reach an out of court settlement to repay what I owe if they get in touch. I just want to know if the reason he took my name is because he wants thameslink to investigate me further and if I should be preparing/budgeting for said settlement. Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Brissle Girl

Established Member
For one thing, now they have your name, if you offend again, it is much more likely that they will start the process that we see often here which is to write threatening prosecution rather than giving you another penalty fare.

How did you buy your ticket? If via a website or app then they might well check your past history if he took details of your account.

SQTF

For one thing, now they have your name, if you offend again, it is much more likely that they will start the process that we see often here which is to write threatening prosecution rather than giving you another penalty fare.

How did you buy your ticket? If via a website or app then they might well check your past history if he took details of your account.
Okay that makes sense thank you, I hadn’t considered that.

I paid via a TOC app. He didn’t look at that or take any detail of it though

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Okay that makes sense thank you, I hadn’t considered that.

I paid via a TOC app. He didn’t look at that or take any detail of it though
Actually, I think simply scanning your ticket will give enough information to pass to investigators, but others will quickly correct me if I’m wrong.

island

Veteran Member
Usually once a penalty fare has been issued and paid, that is the end of the matter. It’s unlikely you’ll hear any more about it, but it’s very important that you always pay your correct fare going forward as you may wind up in court otherwise.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Usually once a penalty fare has been issued and paid, that is the end of the matter. It’s unlikely you’ll hear any more about it, but it’s very important that you always pay your correct fare going forward as you may wind up in court otherwise.
This is the most likely.

They took your details so that if you do it again they'll know you've done it before. Think of it as a wake up call, if you're caught again they'll be looking to recoup all the non-paid fares and more besides. You've been very lucky here.

Of course, there is the possibility they'll investigate. After all, few people short fare just once, so you're not quite home & dry yet. If they do write to you in the coming weeks/months post a copy of the letter here and you'll get excellent advice.